• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

the basics

kr8r.tom

do any of you guys ice fish the old fashioned way anymore,most of the topics are about electronics,rods/reels,fastest auger ect.

i'm not against the newest equipment and it's fun to have, i do have a cheap camera i got from menards for $70 i use to see what the bottom looks like and i have the power auger.

i still check my depths with a lead weight and what i really like about icefishing is pulling fish, especially big fish, through the hole by hand, feeling the line stretch and the fish making it's run and setting the tention by hand. alot more satisfying than a rod and reel for me.

kr

for many years I fished that way, but with the sport grouping by leaps and bounds, we need to get better at it, the new gadets help. even with all the electronics and fanncy lures, rods, and reels you still can not make them bite. grin

Tom,

I miss those days. Dad would bring me out with minimal equipment and we seem to catch fish. I think, if I remember correct, that many times it took us the first hour or so to find the fish.

I have finder, power auger, sled and all the goodies. With the kids in all the activities and my 10 year old as my favorite fishing partner, time is really short for us and I find that it is a time saving thing for me.

I hate to think about it, but my lack of time doesn't allow for me to pass on some of the things I learned from dad. Problem is I've been fishing so long with the bells and whistles, I probably forgot most of the tricks I was shown.

Its kinda like hunting. You can use the latest and greates bow and kill a deer at 50 yards with 350 fps or use a long bow were you need the deer within 15 yards. It all depends on how traditional you want to be with your outdoor sports. Hunting I like a little more traditional, fishing, I need batteries!

I have to admit I use my noodle rods more so and catch more fish then i do with my pflueger presidential setup. And when the little fellas bite, feels like there hammerin at my bait. But nothing more exciting then:

Getting a bite

rod bending almost completely in half

throwin the rod down on the ice and grabbin the line to pull the fish through the hole.....

Untangling the line (yea, not too much fun though!)

Once in while we will use the rattle reels no electronics and play texas hold-em while drinking to much beer. Does that count as old school. It does for me.

well ik that there are many generations out there of people that drinking well fishing is old school but most of my family played buck (pheffer) or cribbage