• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Brand and Model kicker?

Dahitman44

I've always had Merc kickers because of the twist-grip shifting. Currently I have the Pro Kicker, it's a nice motor. I control it from the tiller. I've thought about using a removable bar to tie it to the big motor and adding a Trollmaster throttle control, but have never felt the need. I like running it as a tiller. For open water trolling I occaisionally run it from the console, just set the speed on the kicker and use the big motor as a rudder for steering.

I've been around T8s a lot too, they're also great motors.

Yamaha T8 remote controls for me. T8 is bullet proof, economical, and has great performance whether you're lindy rigging or pulling downriggers on Lake Superior. I fish Lake Superior a lot so this is why I went with remote, but also love it for my style of walleye fishing. In fact, I hardly ever use my bow mount anymore. I think I used it 2 or 3 times last year. I like being able to drop the kicker motor in the water and start without hardly batting an eye. Controls my Lund Fisherman very well and trolls all day on a couple cups of gas...

T-8 is a awesome kicker motor as is the Merc Pro Kicker. Either one you go with you cant lose. I would hook it up to run at counsel. Much easier in big waves than standing in back running as a tiller. A trollmaster or simular product is a awesome tool. I will have one on my new kicker when I find one. I want a t-8 to match my 115 yamaha 4 stroke.

If you can find a deal on suzuki, I wouldn't be afraid to match your big motor. Suzuki's are the same as the johnson 9.9 4-stroke kickers. I'd imagine you might get a slightly better resale with matched motors if that matters - who knows though?? I think the merc pro, T8 and suzuki are the ones that offer models with power tilt - suzuki started in 08 with that option. I haven't had any issues at all with mine, runs great now that I've broken it in well. I do like the merc twist grip shifting though...

My T8 has been bulletproof, along with a Trollmaster, I'm very happy.

Suzuki and Johnson are no longer the same (I believe, since 2006). I don't know much about either kicker, but newer ones, at least, are not the same, as were the pre 2007 Suzuki/Johnson 4 strokes. (also love my DF 140 Suzuki).

Good luck and hope you find a good deal.

I think it's tough to make a bad choice when it comes to brand. I'm a big fan of the T8, but if you're going to run it as a tiller, the twist grip shifting is very convenient - shift and run throttle without removing your hand from the handle.

marine_man

Suzuki and Johnson are no longer the same (I believe, since 2006).

You sure? I'm pretty certain the few 4 stroke models still being offered are suzuki's - at least for the 07 and 08 I think it is true. My brother has an 07 Johnson, I have an 08 Suzuiki - they are pretty much the same engine as far as I can tell. The high thrust suzuki has a slightly different gear ratio and bigger alternator compared to the Johnsons - the regular df9.9 is identical.