• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Catfish Insider 2009

hanson

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All right! grin

Another update on the 2009 issue whistlecrazy

Well, I think the answer to when they will be in stores lies with a "mystery" local magazine distributor. From my investigating work the last week, this same gal (seems) to be responsible for delivery Intermedia publications in the entire West Metro and beyond. Unfortunately no one I have talked with knows who she is and how to get a hold of her grin

So Jimbuck you might be the first to get a copy in the mail wink

Now for some bad news from Shack. frown

*A local Barnes and Noble manager dug deeper today for me, after border line harassment from my self the last week and a half wink. After talking with her regional manager she regretfully informed me that Barnes and Noble (she said pretty much in the entire metro area and maybe further) in this region will not be receiving the 2009 Catfish In-sider issue frown . She could not give me a reason at this time and said she was sorry. This was at the Maple Grove location and from Deb who is in charge of the magazine section. Very nice girl by the way. smile

*Borders Books in about 3 locations from Coon Rapids to Roseville is doubt full they will get it, because it is not on any of their order lists, but Walleye, Pike/Musky and Bass popped right up. There is a chance they might get the 2009 issue, but not any time soon. Meaning maybe in the next month or so if at all. I was told by the Coon Rapids location last week Borders is trying to faze out magazines all together.

*Another somber moment today frown. I found out long running Shinders is no longer in business. Closed its doors to all loactions a couple months back.

*The last bit of bad/disturbing news from today was from one magazine retailer (which will remain unnamed) and they said pretty much the same thing as Borders did about the issue being on the shelves or possibley not. When I asked why this would be, I would told “Well you know Sir., in Minnesota catfishing is not a very desirable sport. Now, walleye fishing and bass fishing is what people want and that is why we have the other In-siders on the shelf right now. Look at the magazine rack and tell me if you see anything about catfishing?” mad. I said Thank You and left, never to return. wink

Now for some good news from Shack! smile

Good old postive Bonnie at Intermedia gave me a small list of retailers who are on the list to have the issue at some point. None of the above where on this list. As to when these stores will receive their shipment of the 2009 Catfish In-sider is in the hands of the “mystery” magazine distributor crazy.

*First one I tried was Cabelas. They have a magazine rack back in the fishing department, up in the second level gift area and down at the check out isles. Candy was a great help. She even looked in some unopened magazine boxes in the back for me. The issue was not their as of today, but they are getting a hold of the “mystery” magazine distributor and finding out when Catfish In-sider will be on their shelves. As of right now, Cabelas will have it and in a timely manner. “When” is still up in the air right. It is looking very postive that it will bo on the shelves this week. wink

*The second store was a new store called Beyond Shinders. They have 3 locations around the cities, one in at Ridgedale, another in St. Paul on White Bear Ave and the one I contacted today on Washington Ave in Mpls. The store manager said he is for sure getting it and he expects it to be on the his shelf by midday on Thursday.

I hope to speak with the regional magazine distributor tomorrow and get some real feed back on where the issue is.

As for the above info I received from these stores, anything could go crazy. No one seems to know what is going on and most of them do not seem to care about this magazine. Who knows, Barnes and Noble could have it on Wendsday! crazycrazy

Good luck and I will report on what I find tomorrow! smile

Yeah the Shinders news is unfortunate. I've spent a lot of hard earned money as a kid buying baseball cards, comics and other uhhhh.....mature literature. The owner was in some serious trouble with the law and otherwise and employees were given little notice about the situation when they closed down some of the locations. I'm curious about this "Beyond Shinders" store and if it's at all affiliated with the good ol' Shinders? From the sounds of it, calling Bonnie might save you a headache trying to find a copy. Thanks for the update Shack. I've never seen such anticipation by a group of fisherman for an annual magazine....another good reason why the Cat Forum is where it's at! wink

The thought plickens grin

LOL!!

Maybe I should just take up an "easier" fish species and not have to worry about the when & where I can pick up my In-Fish Species Insider for that species. grin

If the guys at In-Fish are reading this, they gotta be rolling! If not, someone better send them a link!! wink

If it matters, I picked up my new Muskie/Pike In-Sider along with the new Musky Hunter at one of the Fleet Farm check out endcaps. Talk about an opportunity sale... that one will get me everytime. (hint!hint! should have put the Cat Insider there!)

Quote:
From the sounds of it, calling Bonnie might save you a headache trying to find a copy.

Bonnie's list only had two I have heard of or could find in the metro and Cabelas was the only that was worth anything. Beyond Shinders I found while searching for the old Shinders.

Well, got a couple more phone calls this morning already and more drama.

All right I am done. Ta heck with this 2009 issue. Good luck when you find a copy guys, if you do wink.

Originally Posted By: dtro
Do we know if there is going to be one this year? whistle

With the looks of every other species issue being stocked to the gills. I would say that there is a high probability that there will not be one this year.

Shack you did good trying to wish the issue into being.... Its a shame that they all had to jerk your chain around. Instead of stating up front what the situation really was.

Now.... You start showing that much persistence in locating some Flats this summer....... and I have every confidence that you will be in running for a top spot in KOTC.

Shack, good work and persistence on your effort for that overrated magazine; what LFC says that magazine aint gonna bring memories, you know what to do to catch them. Go get one of those electronic handheld casting games to put next to The Throne instead of that magazine.

There is a 2009 issue grin and maybe just calling up the Intermedia like Jimbuck did to order it is the best/quickest thing to do right now.

I have tracked down the shipment for the metro area (my calls I received this morning).550 copies are sitting on the shelf at a wholesaler in the West Metro right now in, but due to an invoicing concern, they are going to sit on a shelf for another week or so. Once the invoicing is cleared, then they can be delivered, but only on the specific dates that they deliver to each location. This wholesaler is responsible for getting all the Catfish In-siders to all the retailers in the Metro area and no they will not let you walk down and buy a copy.

Basically this is how it goes wink. Intermedia publishes the magazine and releases it to another source (kind of like a broker), the broker transfers the shipment of mags to a regional distributor (at this point they are in the metro area), the distributor then transfers them to a wholesaler and then the wholesaler distributes them to the stores and then the stores place them on the shelf.

I did pick up some more locations that will eventually receive the 2009 Catfish In-sider:

1) A selected and various amounts of Holiday Gas stations~

2) A selected and various amounts of Cash-Wise gas stations~

3) A selected and various amounts of Cub Foods Grocery stores (Only about 4 in the metro, with Maple Grove being one of them)

No one could confirm Fleet Farm is going to see the Catfish In-sider 2009 issue. They where not on any list at this time.

So whistle, like I said I am done. An estimated guess on when some of these places might see some copies is about 2 weeks wink. It will end up in the throne room when it does.

Slowhand, any cell phone that uploads App's works great also winkgrin

Shack, good work and persistence on your effort for that overrated magazine; what LFC says that magazine aint gonna bring memories, you know what to do to catch them. Go get one of those electronic handheld casting games to put next to The Throne instead of that magazine.

You think some one might get a kick when they hear Shack... scream out from the throne..... "ALRIGHT...... I GOT A MONSTER"..... LOL.

So is there even going to be one this year?

All right, I did not want to be a spoiler, but this has gone far enough smirk

You seen it here first folks @ hotspotoutdoorslogo70.gif in all its ".jpg" glory grin

Insiderimg.jpg

There is a 2009 issue!

End of Story!!! wink

Insiderimg.jpg

I call shenanigans. There is not going to be a magazine this year, I don't think. Looks like Shack just photoshopped an old cover. I knew it looked familiar, and sure enough, I went back through my archives and found the 1989 issue has the SAME PICTURE!

1989_cover.jpg

Hey Paloi! grin

If Shack had Photoshop, do you not think Shack would have snuck in the text "Dtro" some where on the cover grin Heck, I would have put his face on the cover winkgrin

Nope, you guys are good! grin You caught me whistleblush! Shack does have Photoshop and Shack did create that image.

I hate to break it to you everyone, but Larry and Dtro are right frown.

There is no issue this year. frown I have to come clean. It was all a reuse on my part, but I had fun grin Sorry if this offended anyone. whistle It was bad of me! I will try to care a little more when it comes to my jokes on FM!

Sorry guys! smile

Hey, you got to give it to old Shack wink

He pulled off the biggest prank in FM history. Getting all these guys to post in here grin It was not easy getting IndyCatGuy to sign up and post. Then Good old Jimbuck to say he ordered it laughlaughlaugh

Thanks guys! we pulled it off!

It took some work, but in the end you guys seen right threw it! I knew it would not last! frown

Anyone know what make and model vehicle Shack has? I'd like to make use of my left over bait sometime. Please do not reuse this ruse next year.

I am really going to miss the one flathead article that says that you should fish brush piles, near a hole, with active live bait, at night.