• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Another FL-18 or FL-20 Post!

gonehunting

I recently upgraded my FL-18 ProPak to a FL-20 ProPak? After taking it out 6-8 times I'm wondering if I purchased something that is alot more complicated than I need. I mainly fish bottom hugging walleyes or perch. Has anyone done the same and felt this way? It just seems the FL18 was so much easier to read. The FL-20 has alot of bells and whistles. Maybe I just need to try it out a little more. It seems like I always have to the newest thing out there and maybe it was not the best decision. "Keep it simple stupid!"

i think once you know now to use the 20 it is not that hard all you really have for setings is the bottom zoom i think it is eather 8 foot or 12-15 foot something like that and full with no zoom you have all of them for day time setings and night and then you gan and how deep are you fishing....i take it the middle nob is what is messing you up its not that bad once you know what they are

Don't use the bottom lock unless your in a boat! Every time a fish comes in a little higher then the last it locks on to that spot and you maybe missing fish below the new spot! If that's what you ment? Vook

I'm just sayin if your targeting bottom dwellers, its easy to use. Like 7 said, if you have a fish (let's say) 8 ft. off the bottom and you're using the 6 ft. bottom lock, you'd see the fish that's 8 ft. off the bottom on the right side of the flasher.

The FL-18 has the bottom lock (BL) feature, not so on the FL-20. The BL feature was a feature I never did use much on my FL-18's, even on open water where it was designed for use....some loved it, I didn't see the need for it.

When using the BL feature, use it only on open water in wavy conditions to stabilize the bottom reading. It is not needed on the ice and will likely cause complications with lessened detection of bottom hugging fish.

The big difference is the flat dial assembly that offers a better field of view, the next big change is in the FL-18 and the FL-20 is the duel settings for 6 ft zoom and 12 ft zoom and the night and day settings mirror each other left and right on the dial. Every feature setting is represented in the night mode as well, just to the left on the selection dial. There is also the (LP) mode on the bottom of the far left and that is generally only used when fishing in 20 ft of water or less.

The processor is upgraded in the FL-20 as is the interference reduction (IR) capability's and the Target Identification is finer that translates to thinner target separation.

Both are great units, the FL-20 has more tools and user friendly display options for full 4 season use.

I recommend you utilize the DVD that is provided with the package and also the Vexilar web site, as they offer easy to understand tutorials and demonstrations that will demystify it's use. Tons of useful information is offered by the support staff so take advantage of it or drop them a call, they will help you out.

Ed is correct. The 20 doesn't have bottom lock, but one of my units will lock the bottom at suspended fish when in zoom mode. It is kind of frustrating switching off the zoom and turning it back on everytime you hole hop and then to not have it read accurately. I am pretty sure that I have a defective unit and just waiting to get time to go down to Bloomington. FYI, Vexilar is currently out of stock on FL20s and 18s.