Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fisherdog19

Sharing fishing reports and lakes

28 posts in this topic

It is evident to all of us that some people are willing to share lake names and such, and it is thier right. If you don't like it, then that is your business, but keep your negative remarks to yourself and off of the site.

Sure there are some small lakes in the area, there are also large ones, there are also over 1,000 lakes in the area, and that is the point. Someone may name a lake, but its most likely that everyone has already heard of it. If most of you are like me, you don't have the time to hit every single lake that someone says the fish are biting on, it's not like anyone posts coordinates. Enough of the "what the heck are you doing, do you want to kill the lake" posts. All of us like to fish, and I like to give people the benefit of the doubt that they won't pillage small lakes. Let's just keep it fun, and let it go.

I agree fisherdog, seems like theres been way to much of the "hey thats my lake,shut up about it"!! Kind of posts. I think this (FM) should be a spot where people can tell of there good luck and others can learn from others. There has been way to many post's that have pounded those that want to pay forward there good fortune.

i got grief last year and now again this year but i will still put posts on here. just so the next guy or gal can enjoy the love of fishing i have. i like to see people be able to get out and catch a couple of fish or to be able to take there kids to a lake and get them into some fish to spark the fire of fishing in them. thats what i think this site is about the love for fishing.

I agree. I am one to share all I can to help others find and catch a few fish. Just because a person names a lake and such doesn't mean the fish automatcally jump out of the holes and jump into the livewells. You still have to connect all the dots and do the work to catch them.

Actually, it comes down to selective harvest. CPR is great, but sometimes a body of water needs to have some fish harvested in order to maintain healthy populations. Keeping smaller fish can help promote a trophy fishery. I rarely keep any fish myself on an outing, but I understand the importance selective harvesting plays on fisheries management.

The bottom line here is, all members should feel free to post reports on lakes, no matter the size, and not feel intimidated doing so.

Nobody "owns" a lake here in MN (even if there is no public access) and nobody owns any of the fish that swim in a lake/river. It is all of ours. If you are looking to bash someone for posting info, you will be put on hold, and you are not welcome here. If you don't like what someone says, even if it is different from what you believe in, keep your mouth shut. I don't believe anyone on here wants to purposely destroy a fishery. They just want to fish.

This site is for sharing info, and most of all, having fun. It is clear in the forum policy. I suggest boning up on the policy if you haven't done so recently.

Let's put this issue to rest!

I don't normally target sunfish but I was thinking of letting my son invite some friends out to the lake for his B-day. I take the kids fishing for sunnies a lot in the summer but haven't in the winter. I plan on fishing on S. Lida because that's where the cabin is. Any tips on depth and such for sunnies. I have been catching some eyes and crappies but I don't know if that will keep them busy enough. I have caught a few sunnies through the ice while fishing for eyes or craps but haven't been targeting them. My guess would be move a little shallower and closer to the weed line, punch a bunch of holes, and switch to the tiny jig heads with wax worms.

I take it fishing has slowed and it has been a tough winter. smile

The fish are always biting...somewhere else.

Brett Waldera

Heres what I got! A list in email address of those who share spots & bites.

If one of these people ask I respond,However those who seem to share seldom ask for hot bites.I immagion they find their own.

I've seen nonsharers asking for where,and those who complain about sharing also asking!

After being here awhile you'll learn who these people are and what goes around will come around!

When I see someone who is comming to my area on vacation or just a weekend,I'll make contact and offer lake,shore,structure,depth.

As you who been here awhile know I do share,But with so many not or complaining I now share privatly with those who do.

So what is the difference between a report from "Outdoors Weekly" and what poster put on FM??

[Admin Note: Please read Forum Policy before posting again. Thanks]

Not much. The OW reports have more of an advertising slant to them, and that's fine, there. "Weekly" means really old info. Even posts here are sometimes "old news." Not always.

Hello:

Just wanted to share that I got bashed for saying "I keep 6-8" crappies". I release any crops over 10". I feel that one day w/ selective harvesting, we will have a "red lake" like champion pannie class HERE in the metro. I HAVE A DREAM!

On that note, I'd be willing to show (SHOW NOT SHARE) some of my hot spots w/ fellow fmers. I fish mainly west metro w/ the occasional bald eagle/WBL.

Hello:

Just wanted to share that I got bashed for saying "I keep 6-8" crappies". I release any crops over 10". I feel that one day w/ selective harvesting, we will have a "red lake" like champion pannie class HERE in the metro. I HAVE A DREAM!

Props out to you for that!!!! It would be nice if that mindset took hold over the majority of the population. Smaller fish are what should be kept! Not only for the health reasons, but it's much better for the fishery and growing larger fish.

Hey Brett You ever get Jodi out in the fish house with you? I was always going to try to look you up on the lake when Mark B. told me you had a house out on Lida. Stop in and bring you a beer not that you wouldn't already have one. I don't know if you would remember me, but you can ask Jodi if she knows a Jeff B. that owes her a beer for saving my life once.

Would anyone feel different if this site was only for registered members? Right now there are 548 registered users online and 1120 guests, and it is 11:17pm

I would likely share more details, but also couldn't justify a membership fee if the viewer ship were that limited.

This site is only free to us.

i wish you had to be registered to view the posts on this site... i hate giving up advice on spots and depths and fishing reports of my own when i know people are reading it "for free" (if you can call it that)... if people read my fishing reports, i can only hope that they too are posting their own fishing reports online to "give back" to the online fishing community...

PLEASE REGISTER AND POST>..... NO FREEBEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like seeing people post what they caught and where they caught it. I like to share but the problem is I only fish one body of water so I'm not able share beyond the St.Croix much. I would say most if not all info regarding hot bites and locations are forgotten by the next day, I like finding my own spots and to give the guy respect of not infringing on his generosity and good will of sharing his experience with us.

I like seeing people post what they caught and where they caught it. I like to share but the problem is I only fish one body of water so I'm not able share beyond the St.Croix much. I would say most if not all info regarding hot bites and locations are forgotten by the next day, I like finding my own spots and to give the guy respect of not infringing on his generosity and good will of sharing his experience with us.

fogotten about? No way. Heck, if I am looking to hit a few of my standard lakes, or someplace new, I search the region forums, if tips are out there, i copy and past to a word document. I am sure, I am not the only one taking notes cool

You mention registered member only sites? not for MN, this site is by far the most active, well know MN fishing site.

Maybe the reports should only be viewed by registered members, but all other forums are open game?

Rick likes this

Keep the site open to everyone. CR is catching on & so is selective harvest. I feel the fishing community is learning alot more than just what lake has a hot bite. Share if u want,read if u want,believe what report u want, but dont close a thread that can get a message out the can possibly help our sport. Hot bite reports have been getting passed along long before the internet,& usually they were biting the day before u got there.

Rick likes this

I mentioned a lake in a post somewhat recently, and was made to feel very shameful for doing it. Needless to say, I'll not do it again. Glad to see that some feel its not totally wrong or out of line. I didn't mention a specific spot or anything but did mention the lake had seen a lot of pressure lately and it was not particularly "secret" info that the bite was on there and that the traffic was getting to "bumper boat" levels.

Maybe I'll keep future reports to the generic "they're either shallow, deep, or somewhere inbetween and can only be caught on "area lake..."

Rick likes this

Man oh man this thread brings back memories from when I had just joined here I got ripped apart for posting a location of a certain river that I had a question about.

i have no problem giving information on a lake or river, i think that is why hso is here in the first place. how deep, what i'm using that seems to work, and a general area. you still have to catch the fish. i still fish from shore at times and i love it. i think it's great to help each other out. there are no experts out there including myself. good luck.

Pretty entertaining, some admit to basically breaking possession limit laws by fishing out a lake and some have selfish reasons against naming lakes or rivers etc. Personally I hate computers and the internet and don't believe any fishing reports I read on any site. Technology is wonderful right ? Only when it works for your selfish interests correct ? Secret spots hot lakes etc. lol. I wouldn't lose too much sleep because your hot lake was mentioned. Man do people get touchy about fishing and deer hunting, just be happy you are healthy enough to do it and can afford to do it, having success doing it is a bonus. I also get a kick out of released like 42" musky, oh really ? I hate to break the news to most but there's a 48" minimum so guess what, you have to release them under that length, why mention released, you would've kept it otherwise? Oops, I heard someone caught a 39" musky on Mille Lacs, better load the boat and make that 175 mile roundtrip run, it's a hot bite.

It's all etiquitte, if that's how your friends chose to fish so be it. I think if he was nice enough to bring you to his spot, it should be respected.

I don't think anyone should be strung up for giving out lake information, word travels regardless of the means! smile