• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tire question

Question

Here goes again, I can't seem to open the post from before. I can't seem to find 13" st tires that are heavy duty enough. My shack weighs 2200 lbs so each tire is rated at 998 so I end up about 100 lbs over on each tire...should this concern me with a 30 mile trip down to Mille Lacs? If it is a problem what kind of tire should I be looking for? Also, once again what is the legal width for highway travel from the outside of one tire to the other?
Thanks
think hard water so I have an excuse to quit watching the Vikes loose!

14 answers to this question

Chiro, you should probably go with a 14 or 15" tire to get the load rating that you need. Don't go with to small of a load rating, the downside could be extreme should one of them let go at speed. As ST mentioned most trailer tires are bias ply, but now you can get radial trailers tires although I don't recall how the ratings compare.

I have heard just the opposite on the Radial/Bias-ply argument. I've been told Radials are not only stronger but provide longer wear than bias-ply tires and offer better traction, less rolling resistance, and improved highway stability (but who really knows?).
I had allot of blowouts on the bias-ply tires, so I switch to the "Goodyear Marathon Radials" and haven't had any tire problems in the last 2 years, with about 4,000 miles on the tires.
The ST175 80 R 13's with a load rating of "B" are good for 1100 lbs @ 35 psi.
The same model, but with a load rating of "C" is rated at 1360 lbs @ 50 psi. These are both 13" tires.

chiro, maybe you should lose the 12 cases of Old Style to lighten up the shack a bit.
haha
but seriously, 2200 lbs on 13" tires is a stretch to say the least. Can you fit bigger rims on that shack? What's the spring rating on those axles?

Chunkytrout,
I don't know if I can find bigger rims without getting a new hub because they came off of an old starcraft popup camper they are 4 posts, any suggestions?

Chiro:
I bought 13" tires for my boat trailer this spring. They indeed are hard to find. They had to be special ordered. Trailer tires in a heavier load range are designed to have high lateral stiffness. Mushy tires can contribute to "fishtailing". It only cost a few dollars more, but I think it was well worth the effort. A good tire store should be able to order them within a couple days.

Do not confuse the premounted comodity tires with the proper size ones, the load ratings are not even close. I made that mistake and ended up taking cheap tires back to Menards, they were only about 2/3 the thickness of what I needed, and they would have matched up to the bolt pattern.

Next year I plan on having some crank downs welded on so it wont be an issue but, for this season I will gladly take your advice and talk to the tire outfit in town, thanks!

[This message has been edited by chiro (edited 11-11-2002).]

The heck with it, I found a place in Perham that will sell me the entire crankdown assembly plus frame strengthening plates with 5 post hubs for $370. Sure I had to fib a little on the price when telling the wife. grin.gif Someone else already said it best...it's only money, fish hard, die rich!

Well I ordered them and was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on me just doing a good bolt job to secure them to the frame instead of a bunch of welding. I mean if bolts are ok to secure a hitch assembly to a truck shouldn't it work ok for attaching crank down assemblies to a 2200lb shack???