• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

You are right on about the yellows. Grays have more flavor, in my opinion. I live north of Crosslake and find most of the greys in aspens (poplar stands). Few yellows in this area. Should be a good year, I hope!

Yeah I will take what I can get! Grays are fun because they start growing a little earlier in the year and they are more of a challenge to spot. They both taste great. Sometime when the yellows get really big they don't taste quite as good. I still have a few dried ones left over from last year that I need to eat one of these days. Yummy!

Yummy, Yummy!!! cool

Sometimes if you leave the smaller Grays grow for a few more days, they lighten up and turn out to be Yellows...

Check the sponge walls for thickness and if they are thick they should get a lot larger...

Try this this spring and report results...

Also try to note ground temps when they spring...use an indoor out door thermometer or meat thermometer if it reads low enough, and put about 1 inch into the ground...digital works best...

I did this last year but forgot to write it down...I think it was about high 60's in the ground surface that they went...they run kinda like smelt only 20 degrees warmer... laugh

I usually pick all the morels i find as soon as i find them. I have watched some grow on my private land for about a week and they really didn't change. What do you guys do? Do they really grow larger if conditions are right, i have always heard that they pop out of the ground at the size they are, or close to?

It depends on the size you find them at... wink

Last year I let a couple smaller ones go a couple three days, and it rained a little and got humid and Whammm!, they got huge...

Again, if the outer edges of the sponge walls are thick, they ain't done growing yet...

Although as far as taste, I also think it may be more concentrated in the intermediary size, but don't forget if picked too soon they may not spore...I don't know the particulars, but other seed bearing plants have to reach maturity or the seed is not either, or not right conditions for success, etc...

If the supporting root rot is beyond usefulness or they're isn't enough moisture/humidity they may not show either...

Of course other hunters are always a hazard if 'Shrooms are left...

I am going to try to leave some again and see how they grow, but the other danger besides a person or other animal harvesting, is that they go beyond ripe and dry black, or worse turn moldy...

If they get moldy they are shot in my opinion...happened to me last year with small initial showing, then a delayed pop and humidity... sick

I usually find the gray ones the first time I am out for the season and to me they all taste good. As far as growing big it seems like it all has to do with how long it has been from when they first pop. We have gone through on early season picking most the shrooms that we find. Then a week or 2 later we go back out and with weather permitting come across tons of huge ones in the same area. You have to catch it just right or they start drying out and rotting out.

We have a long stretch of side hill that we find them on every year with it all facing the same direction. I have found something interesting with the grays that I am wondering if any one else has noticed. When I get to the end of the stretch of side hill it makes a turn and you have to get around the huge buck thorn patch, but you get to the other side just around the corner and find a small patch of grays. This is facing a slightly different direction and I only find grays there in the early season. I have never found any yellows there. If you keep going you don't find anything. The ground cover is even different then the other location just around the corner. They are not fake ones ether.

Recon, we have a camper up on Edwards so I am running around up there a lot in the spring and never seem to find any? Thought maybe the ground was to sandy? Any hints for the area? I've checked up spots, low spots, by pines, by Popple, doesn't seem to be any Elm up there? How about a time frame? End of April-May?? Help! frown

We have a long stretch of side hill that we find them on every year with it all facing the same direction. I have found something interesting with the grays that I am wondering if any one else has noticed. When I get to the end of the stretch of side hill it makes a turn and you have to get around the huge buck thorn patch, but you get to the other side just around the corner and find a small patch of grays. This is facing a slightly different direction and I only find grays there in the early season. I have never found any yellows there. If you keep going you don't find anything. The ground cover is even different then the other location just around the corner. They are not fake ones ether.

I have also noticed this.