• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need Potato sidedish recipe of some sort for fish fry

We're having a fish fry and I normally do potato salad and coleslaw as sides with beer batter fish...I'm looking for some ideas on a potato side or potato casserole side instead of potato salad. Any ideas would be great. Or anybody got any other side dish ideas I'm open. There's gonna be 25 ppl

Here is a recipe that we had at a lot of family gatherings.

Company Potatoes

1 large package frozen hash brown potatoes

1 can cream of potato soup

1 can cream of celery soup

chopped onions to taste

1 small carton sour cream

salt and pepper to taste

parsley flakes and paprika on top

Put potatoes, soup, onion, sour cream, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Let stand until you can mix the ingredients together. Put in lightly greased 13x9 inch pan. Sprinkle with parsley flakes and paprika. Bake uncovered in 300 degree oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Cheesy Mashed Potatoes

12 lbs. Russet or Idaho Potatoes, peeled

1 Head Fresh Garlic, peeled and crushed

1 lb. melted butter

1lb. Sour Cream

1.C. Half/Half

1-Bunch Fresh, chopped Scallion (Green Onions)

12 Ozs. Grated Medium Cheddar Cheese give or take a few Ozs.

Procedure:

Boil Potatos in 10Qts of cold Water until easily pierced with a fork or knife tip. Drain completley.

While potatoes are boiling, melt butter over medium heat, add garlic and cook for appx. 2-3 minutes, careful not to brown the Garlic.

Mash Potatoes, slowly add in the Butter/Garlic, add the 1/2 & 1/2, and in small amounts add in the sour cream being careful not to let the potatoes get too runny.

Add the Cheese, mixing thoroughly, add freshly cut Scallion, pepper and any salt to taste.

Serves appx. 20-25 adults as a side dish.

Huntress, I have 2 different ones that are favorites in our house. #1 sinfull potatoes (uses frozen obrien potatoes) and #2 is REAL au gratin potatoes made from scratch. Which one would you like me to post???

Huntress, I just reread your post and 25 people WOW!!! Both of mine will serve 5-6 people, so that may be alot of 9x13 pans. If you or any others would like them, let me know and I will post them. Can I come to the fish fry???

MikeMac, if you have time please post both because I need some switch up in my potato dishes lately (must be the winter is killing me). I'll make the easy one for the fry (we'll have other sides too) and the real au gratins for myself.

I do a fry in the summer too, I'm kinda topped out for room otherwise any Fm'er can be on mu guest list. Also headed your way to go to my secret fishing spot.

Huntress, Just kidding on the invite for the fish fry. What kind of fish are you frying? 1st one is for you.

Au Gratin potatoes.

4-5 large Idaho russet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8" thick

1/4 cup butter

1/2 sweet yellow onion, diced

1 tbsp flour

sea salt and pepper to taste

2 cups non fat milk

2 cups of extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (divided)

1/4 cup dry Italian bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 375. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray. Scrub potatoes and peel. Cut potatoes into 1/8" slices to measure about 4 cups. If you have a mandolin slicer use that.

Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion in butter for about 2 minutes, stiring occasionally, until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Cook, stiring constantly until bubbly and remove from heat.

Slowly stir in milk and 1 1/2 cups of cheese. Heat to boiling, stiring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute until the cheese is melted.

Spread potatoes in a casserole dish or a 9X13. Pour cheese sauce over potatoes. Bake uncovered for 1 hour. Mix remaining cheese and the bread crumbs, sprinkle over potatoes and bake uncovered another 15-20 minutes until top is golden brown and bubbly.

Enjoy!

Huntress, Next are Sinful Potatoes from a old church cook book. I can't count how many times that I have made these. Everyone loves them. This will serve 5-6 people.

Sinful Potatoes

2 lb pkg of Obrien potatoes, thawed

1 cup sour cream

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1/4 cup melted butter

1/4 cup chopped onions

2 cups shredded cheese

Pre heat oven to 350

Mix all the above together and put in a 9X13 pan.

Put together 2 cups of crushed cornflakes and 1/4 cups of melted butter. Spread over the top.

Bake 350 for around 45 minutes until bubbling and top is brown.

Enjoy!!

Hush-Puppies go GREAT with a fish fry! Easy to make and brings a starch and a veggie to the meal. Unless you just want the potato as a 'filler', then I'd do french fries. On a side note, 'Blooming Onions' are a nice pickin' food too.

Last summer I switched from potatoes to rice when cooking fish. Try Zatarans' Red Beans and Rice. It's a boxed mix that's ready in about 20 minutes on the stovetop. It goes excellant with fish! They also have a good Dirty Rice too.