Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DuckDog

Flooding

16 posts in this topic

I hear there is a lot of snow along the Western MN Red River Valley. Has anyone heard if they have made preparations for a flood yet?

It seems to me that they know a flood is coming - if they are not prepared this year and call out for last minute help in sandbagging - then all City and County administrators should be terminated!

Yea, I haven't heard for sure, but it will flood. I was in Fargo over new years and they had a ton of snow. I would hope they are all prepared for it by now.

The Willmar Paper has mentioned the prep and planing started a few weeks ago,I'd immagine mostly planing till it thaws a bit.

I'm planning on flood insurance very soon. Probably the biggest drawback about being on the 1st floor of the apt building. The ND insurance commissioner had a press release to remind everyone to be safe and buy insurance, especially because there can be a month or two delay in activating the policy.

In Fargo, we've seen record snowfalls, and near record cold temps the entire season. If we don't get any more heavy snowfalls, we'd be fine, but a couple more along with a fast melting period in the spring could spell trouble.

The city is well prepared. Nothing like 97' will happen again. As mentioned, preparations and procedures are already being put in place. One of the major factors in flooding is the ice dams that build up north in Canada, causing a huge backup of water. That is a factor that makes it difficult in predicting the crest.

with the cold temps all winter the storms dumped alot of snow but with low moisture content. 43" to date, equivelant to 2.5" of water content, compared to last year at this time, 23" of snow with 1.75" of water content. it depends on march, those snowfalls have high moisture if we get a bunch and then if it melts fast then theres problems.

I'm planning on flood insurance very soon. Probably the biggest drawback about being on the 1st floor of the apt building. The ND insurance commissioner had a press release to remind everyone to be safe and buy insurance, especially because there can be a month or two delay in activating the policy.

In Fargo, we've seen record snowfalls, and near record cold temps the entire season. If we don't get any more heavy snowfalls, we'd be fine, but a couple more along with a fast melting period in the spring could spell trouble.

The city is well prepared. Nothing like 97' will happen again. As mentioned, preparations and procedures are already being put in place. One of the major factors in flooding is the ice dams that build up north in Canada, causing a huge backup of water. That is a factor that makes it difficult in predicting the crest.

Good to hear they are preparing for the worst even if it doesn't happen.

Flood prognostications are done by the Army Corp of Engineers and the DNR. Units of local governments rely on this information and plan accordingly. In the Minnesota River valley we plan for the worst every spring but there are multiple factors that increase and decrease risk. The amount of snow at this point doesn't mean a whole lot. It really is rate of melt, moisture content, ability of the basin to store more water and rainfall during the melt. The Red River floods were a perfect storm of all these factors.

Im glad they are thinking ahead. I know its corny but the old boy scout motto of "Be Prepared" is still worth something. If I lived somewhere that the floods would be getting near I would be on that flood insurance quick. I have always wondered if they had homeowners insurance that included floods, but have yet to see much on it.

Im glad they are thinking ahead. I know its corny but the old boy scout motto of "Be Prepared" is still worth something. If I lived somewhere that the floods would be getting near I would be on that flood insurance quick. I have always wondered if they had homeowners insurance that included floods, but have yet to see much on it.
Think I'd use common sence & bypass the flood Ins. I'd just go to higher ground. crazy

You'd think after years & years of flooding someone would the simple idea!

It is good to see that they are preparing for the spring floods. It was just a question I had this year when hearing about all of the snow up north.

I'm surprised that anyone can get flood insurance at this late stage since it has already been suggested a +90% chance for flooding. If I was an insurer, I would see the policy as super high risk and my policy price would reflect it.

Bob

Bob,

I think you can get flood insurance from FEMA - who, as long as you are current on your taxes, can not deny you.

Bob,

Anyone can get flood insurance. Just ask your agent or

homeowner's company. The policy will not pay for any

damages in the 1st 30 days. So, if anyone is worried

about a flood in their community, better get a flood

policy ASAP.

If you can get it I certainly would.

I wonder how they'd feel about adding the insurance then dropping it as soon as the threat subsides?

Bob

Think I'd use common sence & bypass the flood Ins. I'd just go to higher ground. crazy

You'd think after years & years of flooding someone would the simple idea!

Ya thats part of the reason why I live where I'm at right now. I lived in Iowa in 93 and watched freinds and family loose everything they owned when that disaster happened. Thank god they did have the smarts to have the insurance otherwise it would have been a total loss. The funny thing is that some of them were 15-20 miles from the river on "higher ground"

Its just not possible for some people to do that though. Grand Forks is a prime example of that. When the floods are that high, even the high ground can get soaked. I would love be closer to water than I am, and if I was, I would have go for the insurance. Its all part of the calculated risk of living somewhere like that.