• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where was the Twins' $6 million?

IFallsRon

The Orioles continued their busy offseason today, agreeing to terms on a two-year, $6 million deal with versatile infielder Ty Wigginton. The deal is pending a physical, which is expected to take place later this week in Baltimore.

Wigginton, 31, hit .285 with 23 homers and 58 RBIs for the Houston Astros last season. He's s a career .270 hitter over parts of seven major league seasons that includes stops with the New York Mets, Pittsburgh Pirates and Tampa Bay Rays.

"I'm definitely excited," Wiggington said. "When I was in Tampa, I enjoyed playing in the AL East. I believe it is the toughest division in baseball. You have to compete on a daily basis in that division and that's a lot of fun."

Wigginton, who hit at least 22 homers in three straight seasons, has primarily been a third baseman for much of his career, but he also can play first base, second base and the outfield. With Aubrey Huff as their first baseman and Luke Scott as their designated hitter, the Orioles were looking for a right-handed hitter, who could play first and third base.

That airy sound that you just heard is the sound of brian buscher breathing a huge sigh of relief. It's looking like he'll get to play mlb for at least one more year before he'll have to decide what to do with the rest of his life.

I knew they weren't going to sign him but it still is disappointing when it becomes official.

At that price I may have taken a chance on Wiggington but I do agree with you Pier, the Orioles are not exactly known for their wise free agent signings. I think a miss on this one would be much easier to give a pass to if the Twins weren't passing on everything that comes their way. They should have money to spend with the $20 mill they are still saving by letting Torii and Johan go. Unless they are saving to make a even bigger splash next year this off season has been a complete let down. Our 3 major league level moves are signing Punto, picking up a Rule 5 guy from the Yankees and offering Reyes arbitration.

We still need bullpen help and infield help while the pool of guys with enough talent to make a difference is dwindling. I am not asking them to match the Yankees or start wasting money like the Orioles and Rangers have done but a little loosening of the money belt for some moderate risk to reward investments would be nice.

They will need the $20 million in their pocket. If I heard correctly, they will hae nine players eligible for arbitration after this season. With the opening of the new stadium next year, they probably wouldn't want to be rebuilding.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that wiggington was in the top 10 last year in OPS versus left handed pitching. So he fills two holes, third base and not having much offense against left-handed pitching. This was the perfect oportunity to fill a big hole for cheap.

They will need the $20 million in their pocket. If I heard correctly, they will hae nine players eligible for arbitration after this season. With the opening of the new stadium next year, they probably wouldn't want to be rebuilding.

They have their new stadium. No need to sign players. They will stuff their pockets until the people quit coming to games. If anybody thinks the Pohlads will ever spend $75 million on payroll you are just dreaming. laugh

Doesn't make me mad unless we don't get Crede. Then I will look back and say we should have given him a shot. Wiggy's not a good fielder. We need some better infield defense as well as righthanded pop.

Pier - Yuck. I like the way the Twins are smart with money, but when the core is there you gotta add the pieces to get over the top. Twins better add this season and next or M&M's prime years and a good, cheap starting rotation will be wasted. Wouldn't be the first time(Johan, Radke, Torii)

Don't count on 'em to do anything. They want some at 3B with pop, plays good defense, doesn't get hurt, and comes cheap. Good luck finding someone that meets that criteria.

Why should any of us be surprised they aren't doing anything? They have proven and will stand behind the fact that they have put a contending team on the field for several years in a row now so why would they feel compelled to spend money now?

As fun as it will be to go to the new ballpark in the summer, anyone else agree that spring will be brutal to go to games there? Pohlad could have bought a million roofs to put on that field! He was determined not to lose even a dollar on a baseball team.