• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Guillotine?????

BRULEDRIFTER

I know this has been discussed in the past, but being we are approaching a new season and I finally got drawn for a hunt(425A) I wanna chat a little more about this broadhead.

How does one go about tuning a bow to use this thing? Meaning, can you target shoot with it?

I read you need special fletching, is that true?

What about arrows, is there a certain weight you need?

I really would like to use one of these.... Any tips?

Thanks in advance!

Sorry, but I can't imagine why you'd want to aim at a pin sized head that never stops moving when a body shot kills 'em dead. Killing a turkey with a bow is hard enough as it is without adding this kind of difficulty into the mix.

Just my opinion.

Your right on DonBo

You need to have one perfect shot.When you can get a body shot wing butt or hip or even straight on shot.Do not limit yourself on already tough hunt.My tip is to get a good fix or expandable head.I use Rocket hammerheads and put on different points and even sidewinder.

I wouldn't rule the head shot out just yet. The Guillotine and the Bullhead weren't brought to market because they don't work. They're effective and have their place. I shot one of my birds last year with the Bullhead... hit him a bit low and put a hole right through the base of his neck. I limit my head/neck shots to under 15 yds. If a bird is beyond that, it's Hammerhead time.

The biggest key to success with these heads is practice. Make sure you use the plastic sleeves with the Guillotine. The Bullhead will fly great right out of the package. You'll have the best results with a stiff full length arrow with 5" fletching. I practiced with a cucumber on an arrow until I was confident. Get a feel how your regular setup shoots compared to the "head shot" setup and you'll be ready when either one presents itself. Have fun with whatever you decide, bowhunting turks is a blast!

Fair enough..... But I kinda look at it this way.....

How many times have you read about wounding a bird with a regular broadhead in the body? I know I have a bunch of times!

From everything I've read about the Guillotine, it's either you miss completely or off with it's head! I have read about how it just bounces off the body, so no wounding if you hit the body. If you get even 1 of the blades to make contact with the head/neck it's game over.

By having such a large cutting area, the target really isn't that much smaller then trying to place one in the vitals... At least I would think, anyway. I guess it does move around a lot more suddenly then the main body though.......

I dunno, I'm new to this game and just thought that they looked like they were more of an ethical, clean kill then a standard broadhead.

I'm still debating with myself anyway about using a bow vs. a shotgun, too.

I still would love any advise from anyone with experience using them, please.

I shot one two years ago with a guillotine broad head. I should say I shot two - the first bounced off the body and the second took off the head.

They make special arrows for the broad head - larger fletching - which probably decreases the distance (expensive to shoot). The kill area is about 4-5 inches with the blades.

Make sure you practice with them. I went to having 3 pins to only using one for this set up.

The biggest key to success with these heads is practice. Make sure you use the plastic sleeves with the Guillotine. The Bullhead will fly great right out of the package. You'll have the best results with a stiff full length arrow with 5" fletching. I practiced with a cucumber on an arrow until I was confident. Get a feel how your regular setup shoots compared to the "head shot" setup and you'll be ready when either one presents itself. Have fun with whatever you decide, bowhunting turks is a blast!

So, are you saying that you practice shooting with the plastic sleeves on? What were you using for a target?

I like the cucumber idea a lot..... I will definitely be trying that for sure.

What was the length/weight of the arrows you were using?

Thanks S/S, good info!

I've seen GG practice videos online. People use bananas, cukes, zuchini, etc with a hay bale or square foam target in back. The broadhead bounces off after hitting or missing the fake head.

If you don't use the GG arrow, then you can buy a heavy full length arrow and use that. Large helical fletchings work extremely well to stabilize such a heavy package. Another option that has been getting more popular and seems to work well on the GG is having FOB's on your arrow instead of vanes. I saw lots of talk about them last year with pretty good results.

Also, the larger GG head is a 125gr head so you will definitely need to re-sight in.

I'd practice with the sleeves on. Those rigs tend to plane without them. I shoot mine at the cucumber in an open yard with no backstop. They lose energy pretty quick. If that's not an option, use a layered foam target. I don't have my stiff arrows with me, but I believe they were some older Easton Epics in 300 spine at 32-33" long. 10 grains/inch +/-. You want the arrow to clear the sight housing or configure the blades so they won't hit it. Another tip I found was to buy a small plastic broadhead box to transport them. I think MTM makes a nice small one. They do have quiver adapters for them now too but I prefer the small tackle box. Have a few all ready to go so all you have to do is screw them on once you get to the blind. Watch a few of the Double Bull videos if you haven't already, some excellent footage of heads being lopped off grin

sticknstring, i have seen the latest DB video it is pretty good. i got it from brooks at DB it was hot off the press.

as for the bullhead. i would shoot it before a GG. i think they fly alot better. i shoot 4 blazer vanes with my bullhead.