• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Squeaky Ford

2001 ford expedition. 80,000 miles. During the last week or so a loud squeak squeaky grind sound has developed whenever I drive over rough ground. It sounds like it is coming from the front. I can stand and push on the truck and hear it as well. Not being much of a mechanic I think it might be shocks?

My first thought is a noisy sway-bar link(s) or sway bar bushing. Best way to pinpoint (be careful) is to get on the ground and try to see where the noise is coming from when someone is pushing on truck's front end. It could be another front end part also, but the above two items I would say are the most common.

Airjer has you on the right track, lay on the ground and having someone bounce on the front bumper should duplicate the noise. It can be anything from a sway bar link, to tierod ends, idler arm, pitmen arm, or ball joints.

As usual you guys were right on the money. Took it to my local mechanic whom I know and trust. The noise is coming from my upper ball joint on the drivers side. Looks like they are all showing wear so I am going to replace all 4 in the front.