• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Atwood forced air furnace

norm25

I disagree that forced air furnaces are junk. In my 8x20 I have an Empire direct vent (15,000 btu I believe)and it has a hard time keeping up on those real cold days. Added an Atwood forced air of the same size and it heats the house up much faster and dries everything out faster. It also can keep up with the cold days just fine. I do have a Honda generator for charging batteries and don't mind hauling what I need to be comfortable. Just because you don't want to use a generator or haul an extra battery, why does that make the furnace junk?

i agree they are not JUNK

Very efficient units and dry house / heat house faster. Pushes the air all over the house. Empire direct vent is a good heater as well but heats central area and you need to rig a fan to move air to opposite end of the house. If you bring the generator to charge bat. daily the forced air is the way to go. I bought a coleman solar charger at FF this summer on sale for 63.00. I keep it hooked to my deep cell full time; and this battery will run the furnace all weekend. I am fortunate to have both installed but run forced air all the time. On red i start it on shore and typically by the time i arrive at spot house is near ready to fish...

Hope this helps

I have an Atwood forced air heater and have started to experience some problems. When i first hook up my gas and turn it on it starts and fires and only runs for a few minutes before the burner goes out and the fan just continues to run (when it finally runs correctly it does shut off automatically about 45 seconds after the burner goes off). If you shut it off and start it again the blower comes on and you can just hear the ignitor clicking and it wont fire. If i keep trying this it usually will start at some point, maybe in an hour or two of doing this over and over again. Ihave tried all sorts of things, full tank vs 1/2 full tank, switched regulators with the stove, pulled regulator off and brought it in and warmed it up with mr heater, warmed up area where furnace is located with lamps and mr heater, banged on hose and valve to see if something (ice) might have gotten in there. I have tried all these different things with a fully charged battery.

Has anyone else experienced this? Do I need to replace the gas valve? Is it a problem with the furnace control board?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I do like how it heats my house (6.5x14) and would like to get it running good again. I have considered just getting rid of it for a ventfree to get away from the batteries but that really hasn't been that big of deal. I don't use a generator, I bring two deep cycles and it runs lites and the furnace all weekend with out any problem - even when it was -35 on mille lacs for 3 days.

Thanks in advance for any help....

I love the Empire Direct Vent in my house. I can turn it on in my driveway and leave it on all the way to the lake.. when I get there the house is nice and warm!!

I have also kept the heat on for over a month on the lake. Can't do that with the forced air units. It is the only way to go IMO!