Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
norm25

Atwood forced air furnace

32 posts in this topic

Anyone have one? How do they work? How much juice do they require from the battery? In general what do you think.

Looking at buying one from fish house supply and trying to talk myself into it.

Thanks

My Dads got one in his wheelhouse. Seems decent but whenever the heat shuts off the fan keeps going and its not because of the setting on the thermostat. We have to unhook and hookup the battery everytime you need to turn the heat on.... Anybody got any ideas.

Thanks

go with the suburban furnace. you can buy those through fish house supply also. I have the 16,000 in my shack and haven't had any problems.

I have it in my wheel house,its great drys the floor in a hour,and heat is equal through out the house.

My Dads got one in his wheelhouse. Seems decent but whenever the heat shuts off the fan keeps going and its not because of the setting on the thermostat. We have to unhook and hookup the battery everytime you need to turn the heat on.... Anybody got any ideas.

Thanks

Like your furnace at home, the fan will run for a set period of time after the burner shuts down to blow what's left of the heat into the room. Mine will run for about 30-45 seconds after the burners shut down.

As far as the unit its self, I've had mine for 5 trouble free years. It's just now starting to develope a small bearing squeek occationally, but that's after many many hours of opporation.

As far as power usage, it pulls 3.4 amps. I believe that the suburbans are pulling more than that, if battery life is a concern of yours.

Being a RV tech, i like the suburban a little better. I have

found the suburban to be a little more reliable.

randy

A neighbor of mine has a 34,000 btu version. It sounds like a jet engine when the burners start. The heat is great, and heats the house evenly throughout. I don't know if the small cabinet that he put it in has anything to do with the excess noise or not. Maybe if he would have insulated the walls of the cabinet, it would get rid of some of the noise.

All in all, he is very happy with the performance of it, and likes the amount of ducts you can use with it.

some thermostats have a "continual" fan setting on them ---make sure your setting is on the "auto" position other wise the fan will run when it shuts down after reaching temperature

The thermostat has those settings and it is in the auto position

I am not sold on forced air furnaces. No power=no heat. Empire makes a direct vent with a t-stat that requires no power. If you would like more even heat get the blower kit and run it when desired. I like to leave the heat on in my house. I don't see any way to do that with a forced air except for lots of batteries. If you do get one make sure you have a generator with all the time. If not get the empire.

I have the suburban in my house and it is great, it keeps an 8x20+ V front evenly heated. It does however require a battery which lasts about 4 hours, plenty of time if my generator runs out of fuel in the wee hours of the morning.

Like I said I have the Suburban NT 16000 in my shack (6 1/2 X 12) and run it on 2 - 6 volt batteries hooked together to make 12 volt. I can run Friday through late Sunday without a problem.

I just got back from a trip that took me to Mille Lacs, Vermillion, Burntside and back to Mille Lacs. Wed-Mon. With the Atwood 16K force air going, along with the 4 speaker stereo, lights and LCD/DVD player, I was self sustained using 2 large deep cycles wired in parallel. I got back with 11.75 v read at the batteries. They probably would have lasted another day, maybe 1.5

My point is, having a forced air doesn't mean you're limited to short times on the ice, or buying an expensive generator. Because my fish house is the winter cabin Fri-Sun, I bought a vented furnace for added safety. Just my $0.02

Back to the point. I think that any unit you buy will work well in the fish house, as long as the BTU's are matched to the size of the house.

Check [YouNeedAuthorization] for new atwood furnaces. Save some $ for a couple of high quality batteries. The key is amp hours. running 2 12 v in parallel as hovermn said is the way to go.

As far as the atwood over the suburban is it really worth the extra $115?

Just want to put a tip we have tried in a couple of houses now. If take a wall thermostat that you would use to turn the heater on and off and place it in the area of the top bunks and hook a couple of computer fans to it you can set the temp. to how you want it. This has made the hot spots in the top bunks very comforable. We did this to a house that had upper bunks on both ends of the house using 1 thermostat and had very good results. Its just something we did.

I had a Suburban FAF in my house I just sold, and loved the thing. In addition to the comfort level, it seemed like the holes NEVER froze over... even on the coldest of nights. And as far as the battery consumption goes, I was amazed how long that thing would run on a battery charge.

Does anyone run their generator/charger on their battery while hooked up to the furnace? My suburban warns against it because of the difference in voltage. Wondering if anyone had their circuit board go from it. I like my suburban otherwise.

The best way to run everything off of a generator is through the batteries. Run a converter between the generator and batteries, and that'll take away any spike that may happen.

forced air furnaces are junk in my opinion unless you are going to constantly use a generator or plan on lugging batteries around all of the time. In the middle of the night if your battery dies and you have no generator you might as well pack up and go home. Buy an empire direct vent

dont buy a forced air, drains your battery and if the fan stops then your [badWordUsage]!! get a empire direct vent!!!

forced air furnaces are junk in my opinion unless you are going to constantly use a generator or plan on lugging batteries around all of the time. In the middle of the night if your battery dies and you have no generator you might as well pack up and go home. Buy an empire direct vent

I agree with this. The empires are a little more expensive but there is no need to have a battery and it has a wall thermo. I recommend if you have 2x2 walls to buy the extra fresh air extension tho because the draft might cause the pilot to go out otherwise.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Popular Now

• 3 hours ago, sportfish said:

Thanks for  good read ! 

Was this your first elk trip ? 

Yep for most in the group it was our first real trip out West, next trip will probably be mule deer, tag soup on elk hurts a lot more with how pricey those tags are.

• I am planning to be there as well.

MJ1657 likes this
    • I also use the zman original chatterbait. I am a chatterbait nut. Probably one of my favorite baits to throw. The strike king pure poisons are great too but swim a little lower in the water column than the zmans. My biggest fish the past few years have usually come on a chatterbait in the spring and fall. Early spring and late fall I will use mostly a chartreuse/white chatterbait with a white super fluke as a trailer. Very subtle action on the fluke, which I love in the colder water periods. Once the water starts warming up a bite I will switch to a lake fork tackle live magic shad. I'll throw mostly the zmans candy craw with a green pumpkin lake fork magic shad. I fish these over the top and through weeds in the spring and fall and rip them if they get caught in the weeds. They also work great around docks and skipping them under docks. A few weeks ago I wish fishing a dirty lake with a great dock bite and caught about 18-19lbs off of chatterbaits by fishing them around docks and skipping them under docks. 

Edited by bassfshin24
    • I think we all need to keep in mind that the defense is basically the exact same group of players and coaches that were together all of last year.  They should be performing better than the offense.  Whereas, the offense has been completely reshaped during the off season and through injury.  It will take time to gel.  Also, remember the impact Diggs made last year once he was ready to play.  Zimmer just made the same comment about Treadwell not being ready yet.  Not saying he will make a huge impact, but he could provide an improvement over Johnson.  The O line needs to get it figured out.  Berger is solid, Fusco and Clemmings are improving.  Boone/Sirles and Smith need to get better quickly.

The defense carried the team through the last two weeks, which are also the most difficult weeks with the exception of GB in GB.  They are in great shape with what appears to be a favorable schedule based on early results in the NFL.  If the offense improves and the defense remains solid, they should have a good chance to win in most games.  Not saying they will win all games, just a chance to win.  And hope it doesn't come down to a last second field goal!

• 16 minutes ago, Bear55 said:

They have to tell themselves something because admitting that their party and these candidates are trash is too hard for some. It's almost religious the amount of devotion some people have to these parties.

Irrational Escalation of Commitment is certainly present - from both sides - in a major way this election cycle. I think it's odd that so many people on both Team Blue and Team Red are unwilling to admit that their party's candidate is a turd with enormous flaws that ought to disqualify them from serious consideration for office.

• Yep for most in the group it was our first real trip out West, next trip will probably be mule deer, tag soup on elk hurts a lot more with how pricey those tags are.
    • I am planning to be there as well.
    • I also use the zman original chatterbait. I am a chatterbait nut. Probably one of my favorite baits to throw. The strike king pure poisons are great too but swim a little lower in the water column than the zmans. My biggest fish the past few years have usually come on a chatterbait in the spring and fall. Early spring and late fall I will use mostly a chartreuse/white chatterbait with a white super fluke as a trailer. Very subtle action on the fluke, which I love in the colder water periods. Once the water starts warming up a bite I will switch to a lake fork tackle live magic shad. I'll throw mostly the zmans candy craw with a green pumpkin lake fork magic shad. I fish these over the top and through weeds in the spring and fall and rip them if they get caught in the weeds. They also work great around docks and skipping them under docks. A few weeks ago I wish fishing a dirty lake with a great dock bite and caught about 18-19lbs off of chatterbaits by fishing them around docks and skipping them under docks. 
    • I think we all need to keep in mind that the defense is basically the exact same group of players and coaches that were together all of last year.  They should be performing better than the offense.  Whereas, the offense has been completely reshaped during the off season and through injury.  It will take time to gel.  Also, remember the impact Diggs made last year once he was ready to play.  Zimmer just made the same comment about Treadwell not being ready yet.  Not saying he will make a huge impact, but he could provide an improvement over Johnson.  The O line needs to get it figured out.  Berger is solid, Fusco and Clemmings are improving.  Boone/Sirles and Smith need to get better quickly. The defense carried the team through the last two weeks, which are also the most difficult weeks with the exception of GB in GB.  They are in great shape with what appears to be a favorable schedule based on early results in the NFL.  If the offense improves and the defense remains solid, they should have a good chance to win in most games.  Not saying they will win all games, just a chance to win.  And hope it doesn't come down to a last second field goal!
    • Irrational Escalation of Commitment is certainly present - from both sides - in a major way this election cycle. I think it's odd that so many people on both Team Blue and Team Red are unwilling to admit that their party's candidate is a turd with enormous flaws that ought to disqualify them from serious consideration for office.
    • MH casting rod, braided line (w/fluoro leader if needed in clear water), grass pig or skinny dipper for a trailer. Great year-round bait...too many people think of it only as a spring/fall deal, but it will whack em all year.
    • I've been using the Strike King Pure Poison version of the chatterbait mostly because like the line attachment better.  They use a oval split ring instead of a snap that is on the Zman version.  I usually use a swim bait or a grub, for a swim bait I started using a lake fork paddle tail but it got to be too expensive, so I switched to using a havoc grass pig.  I usually use braided line with mine to prevent bite offs from Pike.
    • They have to tell themselves something because admitting that their party and these candidates are trash is too hard for some. It's almost religious the amount of devotion some people have to these parties.
    • A lot of the people that I know who were Bernie supporters seem to be leaning 3rd party at the moment.  They were supporting Bernie because they were fed up with the crapola we are normally fed and they saw it as a vote against the system.  Now that he's out of the race and we are stuck with these 2 candidates they are still on the "buck the system" trend and are leaning toward a 3rd party candidate of some sort.  We'll see how they actually vote when the time comes as the lure to vote against Trump will probably be strong with them so they may still vote Hillary despite their own objections. Personally the debate didn't change my opinion and I don't anticipate anything that will change my mind before the election.  I'm still planning to vote for Doogie Howser, M.D.  
  • Our Sponsors