• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vex brush replacement

croixflats

Just curious, What is the advantage of doing that? Or do i just need to do it if they are wore out? I've been running mine for about 6 years and my dads for fl-8 has been running for about 8 years. Should i just change them anyway?

To be honest with ya i didn't even know they had brushes!

My display was getting dim. Tried to buff up (lightly sand) the brushes, didn't work very well. Picked up the brush kit from Vexilar at their Bloomington office. Talked with one of the guys who works in the service dept,was very helpful.

You'll need to have some soldering skills to replace the brushes....isn't terribly difficult.

Made a huge difference in the brightness of the display, looks just like a new one now!

New brush's help a lot to get top performance from a well used unit. The display will be brighter for sure.

What also happens in the worn brush's produce fine dust that coats the inside of the displays and lessened light transmission, like filtering in a pair of sunglasses..so they completely clean the inside of the case too when they do the installation.

The cleaning and the new brush kit allows it to look as good as or better than a new/old unit....especially on a old FL-8 unit. The look it all over too when they do it, it will check out 100% & run like new.

Best guess is about $70, as long as there is nothing else in need of repair. If they find anything of concern they will contact you before adding it.

You can call and ask them too, a real live person will answer too..no kidding. wink

Total cost for me was the $21 for the brush kit. The kit comes with an allen wrench for removing the knobs on the front of the unit, and also includes very good instructions for doing it yourself.

You can go to the Vexilar HSOforum and download the instructions for changing the brushes. Take a look at them, and decide if you can do it yourself to save some money.