• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

If there was one thing you learned....

bassNspear

I am new to muskie fishing and I listened very closely last year to what people said about getting quality equipment. From hooks to reels you need to buy the best you can afford. I took some short cuts with my equipment and right now I have to upgrade my reels and lures.

Minimizing fatigue and fishing efficiently when spending a whole day on the water. While spending a good amount of time on fishing trips chasing the toothy critters. I found out how important it is to not burn yourself out throwing big baits when the arm is showing signs of fatigue....take a break, throw some bucktails or do some trolling. And always keep band-aids, marine goop and gauze in the boat when your hand starts getting a bit raw. I like using baby powder to keep my hands from blistering while on a long trip. Cheers!

-Buck

When you think the fish is gone, keep going on the 8. If you are working plastic, work it even longer. Those friggin fish are there lots of times even if you can't see em.

Check you line, lost a nice nice fish to a broken line.

It can't be too windy...

Last year, what would it be. There is alot of stuff out there, but if you took one thing home with you from this site this year on Muskie fishing, what would it be!

What a Cowgirl is. Now I own many of them and they are all waiting to get out this spring and summer wink!

Get your arse out of bed in the morning and/or keep it out of bed at night. It's often easier to catch fish in a couple hours fishing at O dark thirty in the morning or at night than it is in several hours of fishing mid-day. Unless you've got great prefontal or frontal conditions during the day - then I say go without any sleep.

then I say go without any sleep.

isnt that why the started closing the season - to many zombie musky fisherman out.

way to many nights going to bed at 1 and setting the alarm for 3:30 - both am and pm. thank god for coffee!

From this sight I'd say the little things - good terminal tackle and good release tools were a biggie.

I also learned that while no one may be too excited about sharing GPS coordinates, muskie guys trully like to share in the success of others (short of offending the walleye guys, I don't think there is much of the "I'm smarter than you" snobbery amongst this group).

I've asked even the stupidest of questions and gotten legitimate help from many - thanks.

I think as a beginner with my first full season under my belt. I'd say work on the 8 and don't give up (especially at night). I caught my only two fish next to the boat. In the beginning I didn't have it down and it possibly cost me some fish.

I would also like to thank everyone for their willingness to help one another out with this great addiction wink

Fish more often

Fish better

Fish sun/moon phase as much as poss

dont tell brother inlaw where im catching fish

work harder on getting my kids on there first fish (musky)

stay away from rock piles with the new motor ($4500.00 mistake)

All in all,live life to the fullest. You never know when your time is up

Duck

How little I actually know. Hopefully the saying "ignorance is bliss" plays to my favor.

Thanks everybody for the tips, I've truly gotten an education on this forum and It's made the hunt a heck-of-a lotta fun and of course my pocket-book a lot lighter. Just dead weight anyhow right?