Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ccarlson

Belt Question for Ski Doo guys

4 posts in this topic

What kind of belts do the rest of the ski doo guys on here run?

I wasn't impressed with the wear factor of ski doo brand belts. I was told to try the Ultimax XS so 3 of us all driving the same machines each picked one up. This weekend on a trip to the UP my nephew blew out his Ultimax that had about 600 miles on it. When we took it off, it was actually brittle and would crack open when flexed. He's careful not to burn them up or abuse them other than the usual hill climbing/boondocking etc. By not abusing, I mean he warms them up properly, knows how to use the throttle when getting unstuck etc.

I used to be a polaris guy and never had a problem with polaris brand belts. Although I like my 05 renegade 600SDI very much, it seems that finding a good belt is more of an isue with ski doo's.

Just looking to see what other ski doo people have had the best luck with for belts.

Does anyone know if a polaris belt can be used on my renegade?

ccarlson

I also have a Renegade 600HO but I havent had a real problem with belts, and I ride fairly aggressively. I've got just over 8500 miles on it now and I'm on my 4th belt. I ran the original Skidoo belt and it started to fail at about 2800 miles. I ran another Skidoo belt after that and then Ultimax 3 since then. I didn't see anything better or worse between the brands so I opted for the less expensive Ultimax again for the next time.

I'd suggest checking clutch alignment and belt deflection to be sure they are correct. Its very important, and more critical to belt life than one might think. Also make sure that the secondary sheave (belt width)adjustment is correct so the belt rides just barely beyond the outside edge of the clutch. Its important to readjust this as the belt wears to get optimum life and performance.

I run ultimax

Ive never blown one yet, but I do switch em out every 1200 miles. They seem no different than ski-doo belts, just 40 bucks cheaper.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• It's a female Bigfoot,  silly.
    • You can save the mapping data on an SD card. In order to create a map you will need the Zero Line Card. You will take the SD card and plug it into your PC. Down load the map data into the zero line software. The software than creates the map and uploads it to the zero line card. It is typically recommended to use an SD card for the data as once the zero line card is full of either maps or map data another card will need to be purchased.
    • whats a samsquatch?  lol
    • Nope....don't need friendseyeguy54..... It was a darn samsquatch!
    • Way to get him out MM!  I'm sure he appreciates it.
    • I believe some units come with maps of some lakes but probably wont have any real detail as far as contour lines.  I think most will have a map of the US but when you zoom in you wont get much for detail on lakes and If they do contours will probably be 5-7ft apart.  If you want to put data on a card you will need a zero line card for mapping. About $150 i think.  8 hours should give you quite a bit of mapping.  Best would be to buy from a retailer so someone with knowledge of the product can show you how to run it.  You might be able to take some snap shots of sonar and put on a blank card but don't think you can map with it. I would get a Lakemaster card for the area(s) you want to fish.  Worth every penny.
    • Turkey season is over for my nephew!! It was a long season with many hours spent in the blind. He seen more turkeys then ever before and had a toms close enough to grab. It is going to be nice to sleep in. Until fall turkeys!
    • Heading up to Devils in a couple weeks and again later on.  Doesn't look like a lot of activity on here.  Tryng to get an idea whats happening before I go.
    • I have been out the last two days locally and haven't set the world on fire. Caught a few each day, but fish have been scattered. Lake is loaded with curly leaf mats this year, so that hasn't helped things. Once that starts dying and weather warms up, things should pick up.
    • Nada for me today. Had some hens come in to give my decoy some company today, but no toms. Sorry I wasn't able to help out on the scoresheet this year. As always, learned some stuff that will make me better next year.
  • Our Sponsors