• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Belt Question for Ski Doo guys

ccarlson

What kind of belts do the rest of the ski doo guys on here run?

I wasn't impressed with the wear factor of ski doo brand belts. I was told to try the Ultimax XS so 3 of us all driving the same machines each picked one up. This weekend on a trip to the UP my nephew blew out his Ultimax that had about 600 miles on it. When we took it off, it was actually brittle and would crack open when flexed. He's careful not to burn them up or abuse them other than the usual hill climbing/boondocking etc. By not abusing, I mean he warms them up properly, knows how to use the throttle when getting unstuck etc.

I used to be a polaris guy and never had a problem with polaris brand belts. Although I like my 05 renegade 600SDI very much, it seems that finding a good belt is more of an isue with ski doo's.

Just looking to see what other ski doo people have had the best luck with for belts.

Does anyone know if a polaris belt can be used on my renegade?

ccarlson

I also have a Renegade 600HO but I havent had a real problem with belts, and I ride fairly aggressively. I've got just over 8500 miles on it now and I'm on my 4th belt. I ran the original Skidoo belt and it started to fail at about 2800 miles. I ran another Skidoo belt after that and then Ultimax 3 since then. I didn't see anything better or worse between the brands so I opted for the less expensive Ultimax again for the next time.

I'd suggest checking clutch alignment and belt deflection to be sure they are correct. Its very important, and more critical to belt life than one might think. Also make sure that the secondary sheave (belt width)adjustment is correct so the belt rides just barely beyond the outside edge of the clutch. Its important to readjust this as the belt wears to get optimum life and performance.