• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hawaii in March

picksbigwagon

My wife and I are celebrating our 10th anniversary with a 10 day trip to Hawaii. We are spending most of our time in Maui, so I am looking for course out there. Anyone have suggestions to try and keep me from going into debt playing golf out there? I will take my clubs out with me since I am larger than avg. size.

Anyone have suggestions? My future brother in law has given me a couple of courses he is dying to play, but I can't spend 200 bucks to chase a white ball.

I'm in Phoenix on vacation and I also want to play some courses I normally would not because of cost, but the economic situation has affected the golf industry to.

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

Tomorrow I'm playing a Troon course named Golf Club of Estrella, normally $139 this time of year. My tee time is 11:43 am. and my total cost is $55.

Good luck

Picks...

My wife wants to head to the big islands in the next year, and while I will have quite the itch to play, I doubt it will happen..for the same reason as you - cost. Hope you are able to find a couple of options -- let us know, and have a great time!

Eckie

OK . . . my first post on FM and it’s about golf (what’s wrong with this picture) . . . but I just had to throw in my two cents.

I have been fortunate enough to have golfed most of the big named courses on Maui (Kapalua, Kaanapali, Wailea, and Mekena) with most of my rounds played at Kapalua. Seeing that I am a well below average golfer; I would say the most fun I had golfing was on The Bay course at Kapalua. It can be a challenging course but not so much that one will not enjoy themselves. There is one neat par 3 that you play over the waves crashing into the shore.

Many of the courses offer a twilight rate as well . . . not uncommon for us to get 15 or 16 holes in before dark . . . but you need to be there waiting for twilight to start or get your name on the list . . . and cross your fingers that you do not get behind some tourists smile

There is also a “nice” (it’s Hawaii, everything’s nice compared to Jan – March in MN) public/municipal course that is frequented by the locals and is very reasonably priced.

BTW . . . you said you are going for your 10th anniversary . . . are there not better things to do on your anniversary then golf wink

Enjoy the trip! You may want to check out a helicopter tour of the island or a snorkeling excursion out Molokini Crater . . . or a trip to Little Beach (you’ll need to Google that one).

Thanks for all the help, Welcome for FM Highlife and thanks for the helpful posts. If I could find those local courses and then maybe just play one of the big name courses, that would be great. SO the clubs might come along after all.

10th anniversary, my wife wants to sit on the beach for 10 days. I can't do that......

Taking a shared charter is actually as much as some of the fancier courses twillight fee's. SO to me that is a wash.........

The bride and I have to have a date night in the next couple weeks to start figuring out what we are going to be doing out there. I will go snorkeling, she will lay on the beach. I will do the volcano tour, she'll lie on the beach. I will go fishing for a day, she will lay on the beach. We have been together long enough to respect each others decisions of what to do on a vacation day.

Don't worry, I will post a few pictures of the golfing out there if I end up going.....

My parents went to Hawaii last year. My Dad went golfing on a real nice course. (can't remember the name off hand.) My mom payed to ride along and enjoyed it as much as my dad did golfing it. Said the scenery was beautiful. Payed a pretty good grean fee, but like he said. "When will I get to play it again?" Find a nice course and enjoy. Bring the wife along and let her enjoy the view.

just curious, what are the airlines charges to transport a set of clubs and a bag? I know most are charging around 15+ dollars for another bag, and that has a size and weight restriction. If anyone knows how much it costs let me know. On a 10 day vacation im thinking your wife (if she is anything like mine) would take any extra suitcase room i had left, and i would be paying extra anyways. might be alot cheaper to rent a pole on a charter fishing outing and pay to ship you big catch home! Oh there goes a whole nother thought.

Most of the airlines charge $15 for the first checked bag and $25 for the second. If you have a checked bag + golf clubs you'll pay $40 one way. If the wife has one checked bag it's another $15 one way.

We checked in one large suitcase to AZ for my wife and my clubs for me = $30 one way. I shared space in the large suitcase with her and we had a small carry on sized suitcase with the rest. Check with the airlines your using to see of the longer distance changes the fees for checked bags.