• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Should I consider a kicker?

Dahitman44

last summer I had a brand new suzuki df9.9t mounted on my reata. I also have a zook 175 as the main motor. I bought it to use on lake michigan salmon fishing. I can't remember what i paid, but I believe that it was around 4 grand. that was instalation, with remote control, no digital control. Mine is mounted on the starboard side of the boat, which is not a good idea, unless consideration for the steering linkage is taken into play. When my kicker is raised all the way up, and take a hard turn to port with the big motor, the linkage hits the front grab handle on little motor, right where the tilt/trim button is. It wore through wires that run the trim in a few months.

The motor itself is a big bonus, I can't imagine using the big motor all day long on michigan, not to metion that it would be to fast to troll for salmon. I think I can get my reata, with a full load down to about 3/4 mph, and with the same load, at wot it will make it up to about 5mph. It uses very little fuel. I only used 17 gallons all weekend, and that was from running the big motor out to 200 fow. Also I don't want to be stuck 7 miles out on lake michigan with a dead big motor. It could and does happen. Don't think the trolling motor would get you into port.

The df9.9t is designed from the start to be a kicker, the throttle controls, ignition key all match the big motor's stuff.

Tilt and trim are available at the helm and at the motor. There is a tiller version available (df9.9th).

The only things that I don't like are: NOISE. This little guy is louder than the big boy sitting next to it. I don't know if this attests to how quitet the df 175 is or if the little one is that loud. But you will notice it. It is not over bearing, but I definatly know it is running. Also, the none of these kicker motors are efi. You know how fast that df 175 starts, crank, crank, purring just like that. Leave it alone to warm up. As for the df9.9t, I have to choke, rev up, and wait (baby sit) the thing until it is warm. It is not a big deal, but again something I noticed. Also, when it is cold (40 degrees) she starts real hard, lots of choking, and baby sitting. Again, when it is warm (finally) it runs great.

Hope this helps, and if you have any more questions let me know.

i had a tiller boat for 20 yrs

then bought a wheel boat last yr

man i'll tell at first i thought wow!! whata mistake

lost boat control couldnt stay on fish man i was frusrated to say the least

as the summer went on i started catching on i do have a t-8 on it with a quick connect to the big moter but cant run the trottle and the forward/reverse

so i'm installin another seat base so i can sit back there comfortalbly and runit i have extension for the handle

also installing splash guards i also have a 150 e-tec that trolls at bout 2-2.3 mph forward on flat water so it doesnt take a lot of chop to back troll with that either the tiller is more precise i feel

also bow mount terrova 24 volt so i think this summer i will be covered i might look into that trollmaster to but $$$$ are kinda short

It does really matter what type of fishing you do. If you are trolling all over a big lake, you can't beat a helm control. You said you are used to it, so you probably would feel right at home running it from the helm. I love it, but my last tiller boat was the one I had in high school, 15 years ago.

sparky and Gregg

GREAT info added to this thread. This is the type of stuff that helps a guy figure out the right thing to do.

Thanks very much.

Anyone else have any experiences like that -- where you recently got a big boat and added a kicker for the first time?

What did you guys see and enjoy / not enjoy?

Hit, this may not be the kind of info you were looking for, but the used Ranger I bought had a 9.9 kicker (tiller) on it and I was actually thinking about taking it off and putting it on my 14' as a small lake or Canada portage boat. Sure glad I didn't - it saved our skin a few times when the big motor wouldn't go on big water. We use it occasionally for trolling when it's a little much for the electric tm, but it mainly serves as backup, though valuable backup.

yes they can be life saver

plus save alittle on gas when it 4 $$a gal last yr

also kinda depends on how serious you are about catching fish

i fish a few tournments so i dont want to be out there say darn if i had this i could this

I guess my thought is if i have over 35 k in the boat i might as well have everything and be happy

i think boat control is very important

i'm not a drifter unless its controled

thanks, greg

Yeah one of the things that get me frustrated is my electric that gets blown around at times. Makes it Not so much fun for the driver to fish and constantly adjust ...

Maybe this will make it easier?

I would think it would, but I have never had a kicker.

Yeah i am pretty serious -- about 100 trips from spring to fall -- I am always the lat to put my boat away. Yeah I am pretty hard-core.

Part of the price variation you are seeing from the guys is probably because some of the kickers have tilt and trim and some don't. I'd definately get one that does. Also if you are a console guy, great but I'd put a trollmaster on right away or you will be disappointed with the lack of precision throttle control. If you want to talk with someone who runs a kicker and a 36v trolling motor call 701 2829000 and ask for Eric. The other option that no one has mentioned is to run a drift sock of the bow between your two bow cleats. This will help steady the boat in a heavy wind while improving your turning radius with a remote kicker.

Last year I had a T-8 tiller installed on my Trophy 180. One of the best improvments I have made. If I am vertical jigging the tiller give the control I need, same for drifting when small adjustments are to be made. If I am trolling, I lock the kicker in position, and control the boat with the 70 lb auto pilot. With the T-8 giving thrust, the electric uses very little juice and I have trolled for 10 hrs+ and had not have them go dead.

This method has worked the best for me, especialy if your fishing partner is a child/wife that needs help when a fish is on, without an auto pilot lines can get tangled in a big hurry. It is amazing how much easier it is to troll using a bowmount/kicker combination. Now I spend more time looking at the graph/GPS, and lines than I do correcting the course of the boat.

Is your trolling motor a bow mount or transum mount? Hard to contol a bow mount in windy condions vs a transum mount type.

I use an electric Minkota 70 AP on the bow, and use a 8 hp gas on the stern. Very controlable in the wind. The auto pilot does an outstanding job of course correction. Only issue is when the waves approach 2 ft the compass in the auto piolt goes wackey, so then I usually trn off the auto pilot and manually steer the front motor. The bow mount is pulling the boat, so it behaves similar to a backtrolled tiller. Not quite as easy to control, but a lot drier and like I stated earlier, lets me concentrate on other things in the boat.

This is pretty much what I do, the two motors thing. But I bought my boat used for a song and didnt want to drop a bunch on another motor. So I put a transom mounted electric on the back, pointed straight in line with the keel. I steer with a 60# auto pilot but I nver use the AP feature. I only have to set the back motor on 30% and the front at 20% and we are moving pretty good. Your batteries will last a long time at those settings. If I had $5000 for a kicker I would just upgrade the whole shebang, so my decisions boil down to money pure and simple. This is with a 96 Alumacraft 190 Competitor. Right now tho this system works so good It would hav to be a free motor to switch over, because charging batteries is a lot cheaper then gas. Good Luck whatever you decide