Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fish4walleye

Lowrance fish lo-k-tor?

4 posts in this topic

Does anybody know if I could use the old lowrance green box flasher model P-300-E for ice fishing,,I picked it up at a garage sale for $5, it takes 2 6v latern batteries,& it does work ,,but wondering if I can rig transducer to something & use it on the ice,Thanks,,Flagup,,Tightlines,,Mark

You bet you can use it. I found one just like it, also for $5 at a garage sale. In fact, the greenbox, which was made from 1959 to the early or mid 80s, is fetching some good money, I've heard, at auction. But that's for the first few years' models, I'm told.

My transducer came strapped to a round aluminum pipe with clamps on it, to allow you to fasten it to a boat transom.

Maybe somebody else has a better idea, but it occurs to me off the top of my head you could attach the ducer to a metal pipe, slide the pipe through a hole drilled in a piece of 2X4 at least a foot long, probably a bit longer. Then you can slide the pipe up and down through the hole to adjust so the ducer is just below the bottom of the ice. You could anchor the pipe at whatever depth you want by drilling a screw into the side of the board and into the hole. When you've got the pipe set to the right depth, tighten the screw.

Like I say, I bet other guys who've done it themselves have better ways, but that'd be one simple way, although it would be a bit cumbersome.

Also, while the greebox will mark bottom and indicate hard or soft bottom, you also probably know it won't be as sensitive as a Vexilar or Zercom.

Good luck and have fun.

------------------
Steve Foss
Superior, Wis.
stfcatfish@yahoo.com

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 11-10-2002).]

you could use a pc of those foam swim floaters, just cut a slot in it and duck tape..?

Thanks for the come back,,I think I can figure out a mount but wanted to make sure that it would echo ok,,,thank again,,Flagup,Tightlines<Mark