• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bass Fishing Tip of the Week Official Post.

Deitz Dittrich

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

March 13 Tip of the week....

I know this tip is not new to a good number of you but there are many that read this board that hopefully will give this a try. Guys like Dietz are real pro's using this technique can provide even more advice.

Post cold front conditions with the bluebird sky and high pressure is one of the toughest conditions to consistently catch good number of bass. Back years ago I would not fish these conditions because I felt like I was beating my head against the wall trying to develop a pattern and consistently catch good number of bass.

A few years ago, I was introduced to the drop shot method of fishing plastic baits. What I found working this technique is the fact that it works extremely well in the post cold front conditions when the bass are just not very active. We all know that it is important to slow way down and in most cases down size the baits we use under these conditions. What I really like about the drop shotting technique is the fact that I can keep a bait in one position for a good amount of time and really work the bait. I believe you can really entice these post cold front bass into biting. I also like the way I can really work the deep productive weeds where I know the fish are buried and are not very active. This really is a terrific technique for these conditions.

Many who read this board are in the process of learning and can become very frustrated fishing these cold front conditions like I once was. My message is; learn this technique, fish a variety of plastics with the technique, and fish very slow and tease the bass into biting when you are fishing the post cold front conditions. You still need to fish areas that are good fish holding structure. I am confident that if you give this technique a serious try you will be impressed like I am.

Key also is to use light line = 6 to 8 lb test. I like fluorocarbon for the technique. Also check the line around the hook after every bite/fish since the line is very exposed. You need to retie often or you will break fish off. You will also have a good number of bite offs from the toothy fish but it’s still worth the effort.

Great fishing to all and think spring and open water.

Nice tip

Do you guys like to use the circle hooks or a smaller EWG type hook, or the stand up drop style hook you run the line through. I need a good hook I can texas rig the bait because I dont think I will be able to get away with just tip hooking the bait. I was looking at them today but couldn’t decide on what hook I wanted to get.

I really like the stand up drop shot hook that you run the line through. Keeps the bait away from the line and straight out horizontal. Will be interesting to hear what others say about the hook.

You are fishing fairly close to the boat with the drop shot. I use an underhand toss and work the bait pretty much in one spot. What I really like is you are concentrating on a small area of structure like a small patch of weeds, rock ledge, rock pile, break line, etc.

Obviously you use your eyes and electronics to pick the spots where you put your bait. It is slow and methodical fishing but well worth the effort.

CB- Here is my quick opinion.. just got back from the show.. I am beat.. But here goes.. Drop shot is not a search lure.. Not one bit.. cast to an area you KNOW bass are, and work it..

I cast, shake, let sit.. shake, maybe move it a foot or 2, and shake.. then reel in and cast again.. I am targeting a spot! A very Very small spot.. for sure not a drag type lure.. unless I miss my cast and the bottom doesnet feel right.

The hooks I use depends on the size of the bait and the cover I'm fishing. Like Tonka said, the Owner Down Shot hooks are awesome! I use them most often when I am drop shotting, especially around coontail and cabbage that is sparse. If I am pitching into heavy cover, I will use a Mustad ultra point or Owner riggin' hook that matches the size of the bait I am using, usually 2/0 up to 4/0. I haven't really done much in the way of nose hooking baits.

Another point I would add is don't be afraid to throw a drop shot into heavy cover on heavy tackle...

CB- Here is my quick opinion.. just got back from the show.. I am beat.. But here goes.. Drop shot is not a search lure.. Not one bit.. cast to an area you KNOW bass are, and work it..

I cast, shake, let sit.. shake, maybe move it a foot or 2, and shake.. then reel in and cast again.. I am targeting a spot! A very Very small spot.. for sure not a drag type lure.. unless I miss my cast and the bottom doesnet feel right.

You will have to show me how it's done in that bass cat this summer smilegrinblush

Okay, so mine is a little late but here goes.

Organization and preparation are key factors to success. This warmer weather has lit the fire under my arse and yesterday I got prepped. Because of my relatively simple boat, the only prep I really had to do was put in new plugs and put the battery back in. Most of you guys have bigger more elaborate boats with lots of things that can and sometimes do go wrong over winter. If these things apply to you, make sure to give them their time.

A few things to check before you bring the boat out to the water for the maiden voyage.

- Fire extinguisher, make sure it is not expired. Recharge or replace as needed.

- Put the lights in and turn them on, make sure the bulbs are good. Make sure you have some spare bulbs just in case.

- Check your battery connections and fuse blocks to be sure there is no corrosion. Do you have extra fuses?

- Check the wiring (as far as you can) for wear and tear.

- Check your electronics to ensure proper operation.

- Check your bilge pumps.

- Make sure you have life vests in the boat - and mice didn't use them over winter as a home.

- Check your first aid kit, replace items as needed.

- Be sure your release tools are up to snuff and in an easy to reach place.

- Did that sun screen you left in the compartment over winter freeze? Replace it with a new bottle and use it. Skin cancer sucks.

- Use some ear muffs with the hose and start the motor up, impeller still working properly?

- Check the prop for any nicks and bends. (I nicked mine last night on the river at the ramp)

- Check oil level, fill as needed and keep extra in a storage compartment.

- Check your trailer lights, all operational.

- Check tire pressure on tires in use and the spare. Any signs of sun cracking or uneven wear in the tires?

- Service the wheel bearings.

- Check your trailer brakes and safety chains.

- When you launch the first time this year, check your bunks very closely. Make sure the carpeting is still in good condition. If you have rollers, make sure they are working properly.

Just a few things to make your first trip on the water the best it can be. A lot of things can go wrong in the last 5 months since the boat was last off the trailer. Get out on the river, the fish are biting.

Nice reminders..... thanks

I can only think of one more and that's to make sure you put the drain plug back in the back of your boat. After a long winter it's easy to forget!

Open water is just around the corner :o)

Topwater baits offer some of the most exciting strikes known to bass fishing. I have found that when I introduce someone to bass fishing, I almost always have a spot on the lake where a topwater presentation will draw strikes and blowups, whether it be a floating frog across lilypads, or casting a popper in a shallow bay. Kids and beginners will never forget that bass they caught when it jumped out of the water to attack the bait.

One of my favorite topwater lures is a Heddon Spook or Spook Jr. These types of surface baits will exhibit a "walking" motion, moving side to side, if presented correctly. The technique for manipulating this type of bait is called "walking the dog". Here are a few tips to help you "walk the dog" during the "dog days" of summer...

1. Tackle is just as important as the actual technique. I prefer to use a 7' rod, medium to medium heavy, with a fast action tip. A baitcaster or spinning reel will work, it's personal preference. I like a longer rod to make long casts with, and also I like some give in the tip and rod so I don't pull out the hooks when the bass strikes the lure.

2. Use Monofilament line. Mono line floats, and this is critical in the presentation of the bait. You want the nose of the lure to be slightly higher than the back of the lure. This will allow the bait to look more natural, like a struggling baitfish, and it will also allow the bait to move from side-to-side more efficiently, without nose diving below the surface.

3. Knot Selection: There are many knots available to the average fisherman. My suggestion for a "walk the dog" type lure is to utilize a Loop Knot. A Loop Knot allows one to maximize the action of these baits by allowing the bait to move freely along the loop created, thus resulting in a more natural presentation. There are many different loop knots to tie, so I would find a source for knots and find one that has strength and is fairly easy to tie. I would be more than happy to share the knot I tie if interested.

4. "Walking" your bait: To get the most out of these lures, one needs to practice "walking". Most of these lures are weighted so that they will exhibit the "walking" motion fairly easily, but it is up to the angler to perfect this technique. Just to be clear, when one "walks the dog", they are manipulating the bait so it moves side to side in a forward motion. Horizontally, it would look like this:

Start /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ Finish

After the cast is made, I let the ripples caused by the lure landing to subside. I then proceed with my rod tip down, to jerk the bait with a regular cadence. A helpful hint is to have a little bit of slack in your line. When you jerk your rod tip away from the bait, try to bring your rod tip back to its starting position very quickly. This will allow the bait to dart from side to side because there will be slack line. A taut line will only move the bait forward, similar to a popper.

5. Once you are able to "walk the dog", try different speeds and cadences. Often I will walk the bait for three pulls quickly, let the bait rest for 3 seconds, then do another series of 3. Try out different patterns and see how you do! This is a fun technique, plus, if you are fishing with a beginner or your buddy who only fishes on occasion, you will look like a bass fishing pro!

I hope this will help someone add another technique to their arsenal...

Carl