• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which GPS?

fishinphyl

Question

Okay, tis the season again frown.gif So I need to find "Mr. Impossible to Buy For" an Xmas gift. He has mentioned it would be nice to have a GPS when we have been fishing. So I need some ideas.

Now we only fish, hopefully one day on the weekends, so do not need top of the line. Also he still has not figured out how to use the universal remote for the new cable system so this has to be easy to use. I know nothing about them so I need some suggestions. :confused

------------------
Phyl

Oh no, Phyl, now you've done it. You'll get lots of feedback on this one. tongue.gif

Let me start. I've got a small handheld Garmin Etrex. It runs off batteries. It cost just over $100. It stores 500 locations (waypoints), indicates speed, direction you have to go to get to a position, and distance from you to the position. It says it is accurate to within 15 feet, and I've found that to be generally true. You can get a $15 cable to use a PC to download coordinates off mapping software if you want to get that ambitious. It has a light feature so you can use it at night, and it's waterproof.

I use mine in two ways. I look at a map (like Fishing Hot Spots) that has GPS coordinates, and I enter the spots I think I'd like to fish. Then I simply go to them, using the Etrex.

The other way is, when I'm fishing and I find some structure or a hot bite that I want to remember, I mark it with the Etrex so I can always come back. On the lake I fish the most, I have 25 spots I've marked on the map with codes (like BP2, or Beltrami Point 2) to help me remember which is which. Also, marking structure on open water for later use ice fishing makes a lot of sense.

I've had it two years, and use it like crazy in open water and ice fishing.

The Etrex is a basic unit. There are others out there, from Garmin, Magellan, etc., that can cost you hundreds, and will allow you to map routes and do lots of fancy things that lots of people need, but I don't.

So hang on and wait for the advice. You'll get lots of it, and it'll likely all be good.

And you know what? Whatever one you get, I bet he'll be happy.

------------------
Steve Foss
Superior, Wis.
[email protected]

When looking at lower priced units I found very little difference in features and ease of use. I would suggest going with the one that is on sale at the time. I have owned the Garmin 12 I think it was and currently have the Magellan 315...not much difference between the two.
Oh, also, save some dough for the reel bottom maps on this HSOforum because the hubby wil "just have to have 'em" once he gets the GPS to plug into them! grin.gif

Phyl

I have a Garmin Etrex too - the yellow model - sounds just like Stcatfish's for features. Fleet Farm had them this fall for $119 - Cabela's for $129. These are the entry level unit - no map capacity like some of the ones that are more spendy - but you can down load way points in to it w/ a data cable, etc.

I got mine cause I wasn't sure what I wanted or needed for features - so I didn't want to spend a chunk of change on one and then not use it - like my wifes brother did.

The Etrex's are pretty simple to operate - a minumum number of buttons and screens.

Good Luck

UG

I have a Garmin-12 unit that I bought about four years ago that was easy to learn, work,
and has the E-Trex beat as far as detail.
My son bought the E-Trex and wished that he would have boughten the Garmin-12.
For the money go with the Garmin-12!!

------------------
F-STOP

I own the Garmin 12XL and have had it for 3 years. It's durable and pretty accurate. No mapping but I use mine the same as the above folks. The only downfall is that i run Mac computers and there STILL ISN"T MAPPING SOFTWARE AVAILABLE!!!! ARGHH!!! Anyway, nice unit and easy to operate.

Hey guys, that's a lot of good opinion on the Garmin 12, but give Phyl some prices, won't you? smile.gif

Chunky: I too use a Powermac (my wife's a computer graphic artist, and none of them will touch anything besides a Mac). Suppose we could appeal to these software companies that Mac owners have money to spend, too? grin.gif

------------------
Steve Foss
Superior, Wis.
[email protected]

The Garmin 12 runs about $145. E-Trex about $120. Magellan 315 about $145.
The 12 and 315 are very comparable units. The basic functions are the same on each of them, and both are easy to operate. But the 315 is a little more user friendly for basic functions. The 12 requires 4 AA batteries the 315, 2 AA's and the run for the same amount of time.
If he has trouble with the universal remote, go with the 315.

Rob

I currently run a plain old garmin 12. It has been a really good unit and it fits my needs well. No, it does not map or do alot of junk that I dont have any use for. I use mine the way described above. I have used the lowrance/eagle units also, they might be a little more durable but not as easy to use. The biggest advantage of the garmin 12 over the etrex for me is that the buttons are on the front and I can run the unit without taking it out of its holder (I use a ram mount) Etrex the buttons are on the side. I've had my current garmin 12 for 3 HARD seasons and it is holding up well... Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie

Hey thanks guys for all the information! Since he does not know the meaning of download we will just not tell him about that. Otherwise you know who will be doing it. As it is every time he tries to find his horse web sites he is downstairs yelling "Phyllis" while I am upstairs. Gave him the Dummies book but he has not opened it yet. So now all I have to do is find the time to go shopping. grin.gif

------------------
Phyl

When you say Garmin 12 is this what your are talking about:
Garmin eTrex Venture GPS Unit
12-channel receiver, 5.3 ounces, WAAS capable, memory backup, 500 waypoints, waterproof

There is a $50.00 rebate on three of the top Garmin units right now in case anyone else is looking.

------------------
Phyl

Phyl they are talking about the garmin 12 or 12XL this unit preceeded the garmin 45 go to hsolist and look this unit up there are some good buys to be had on NIB items also just a note my buddy bought this unit last year and paid about 130.00 for it at Gander

[This message has been edited by waterwolff (edited 11-12-2002).]

PHYL
The difference between the garmin 12 and the 12xl is that the 12xl comes with a nice belt case and the cigarette plug in for power. I have the 12xl and use it for both hunting and fishing. Locks on fast and can read thru lots of trees. This unit saved my life out in Colorado about 4 years ago elk hunting got turned around in a snow squall and was four miles from base camp.

No, I don't think I am having fun. I finally went to Cabela's site to figure out what is going on - the eTrex Summit, eTrex Legend, eTrex Vista are the ones with the rebates. Then I found the 12 so tomorrow I will read up on these and see if I have a clue. Heck I have lots of time left!

------------------
Phyl

Phyl,

What's the price range you'd like to stay in? My suggestion is this- if you can afford it, get the least expensive product that has both WAAS and mapping from any of the "big 3"- Magellan, Garmin, Lowrance. I've had all three and liked all of them. There are no "major difference", but lots of smaller differences.
You're hubby may not need mapping, but if you can afford it, it's dang cool. I'll never own another gps without it. Do you need it?- no. However, I love it.
Scoot

Fishinphyl smile.gif
Thanks for asking a simple question! All of us out here are reading the info. you are receiving about which one to get so you aren’t alone on making the big decision! There are so many knowledgeable people with valuable info on here and the best part is they have used the items and know the pros & cons. smile.gif
Ice on the way! grin.gif Don’t know when but confused.gif ??????????
“FISH” grin.gif

------------------
http://www.icesaws.com/

I have not really put a price range on it. Just know that there is not a point in spending a lot of money for something we don't get to use as much as we would like to.

So, this weekend I am going to read up on these little toys. Because when I do give him one I have to be very smart! grin.gif

I am glad that other people are using this question also. I will have to admit these guys usually steer me in the right direction. Thanks so much for all the info and keep it coming! Let's see how many days until Christmas - of course there is always express shipping!

------------------
Phyl

Phyl,

One thing I didn't see anyone mention is that these Garmin units the e-Trex, 12, legend, vista don't float. You said you were going to be using this on the water so I would think that would be something to look at. Another is the smaller Garmin's have small displays also all of the buttons are on the side which can make it tough to use at first. I work part-time at Gander Mountain in the Fishing dept. So I get to handle all of the GPS units. I personally use a Garmin 12, it's cheap and very easy to use. If I were to do it again I would buy the Magellan Gold. This unit has a nice display, it floats, all of the controls are on the front of the unit, it come with the PC cable, it's expandable, it has mapping, and it's WAAS enabled which means it can use the military satellites to be more accurate. Very nice unit. I think it's going for $349.00 That’s my .02

I have checked the spec,s on the e-trek ($109) model on two web sites, one says the accuracy is ten feet the other 49 feet. I would like to read a reply from an owner as to which is correct.

thanks