• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stupid Question

Fritz

Question

I just picked up a used boat this last weekend and have a question about the Pro-Xtra charging system that was on the boat. How much does it actually charge the batteries while the motor is running and should you still plug it in at home? Sorry for the dumb question, I've never had an on board charger before.

6 answers to this question

I have had this system on my boat for 3 years and love it. With my 75 merc it will put 16 amps (8 amps into each) into the 2 deep cycle batts when I am running at speed. I can fish Millelacs for 3 days and never have to worry about running out of juice. I really only charge the batts 5 or 6 times a years when it is convenient. 16 amps is 53% of what the Stayncharge will do with its 30 amp circuit breaker. Whatever your particular O/B charges at is what it will put into the accessory batts after the starting batt is topped off. However if you are not sure of your state of charge it is always better to top them off. grin.gif

LIKE I ALWAYS TELL EVERYONE ABOUT THE STAYNCHARGE PRODUCTS, THE PROOF IS IN THE PUDDING. FROM WHAT I HAVE SEEN HALF THE PEOPLE LOVE THE PROS AND THE OTHER HALF SAY THEY DO NOT WORK, THAT COULD JUST MEAN THEY JUST DO NOT KNOW HOW TO USE THEM TOO. EVERY PERSON FISHES DIFFERENTLY AND YOU NEED TO KNOW WHAT WHAT YOU EQUIPTMENT IS MEANT TO DO. MY SUGGESTION IS NOT TO ASK EVERYONE YOU KNOW ABOUT WHAT TO DO BUT GET THE THINGS YOU NEED TO FIND OUT WHAT YOUR SYSTEMS ARE REALLY DOING WHILE YOU ARE USING THEM. THE EASIEST THING IS TO BUY A SIMPLE BATTERY TESTER AND WHEN YOU GET ALL DONE FISHING, TEST YOUR BATTERIES AND THAT WILL TELL YOU HOW MUCH MORE CHARGE YOU WILL NEED. ALL THE SPORTSMEN STORES SALE THOSE HAND HELD TESTERS FOR UNDER $15.00. NOT TRYING TO BE A SMART *** JUST TRYING TO GIVE YOU A ANSWER THAT YOU WILL BE HAPPY WITH. SO HOPEFULLY THAT PRO CHARGER WILL WORK WELL FOR YOU AND IF NOT LETS US KNOW AND WE WILL HELP IN ANY WAY. GOOD LUCK

------------------
JIM PAYNE

Sorry guys, I am always in a big hurry so all caps is just easier for me. When i do it the correct way it just takes so much longer for me to type. And sometimes i just need to yell so everyone can hear me. Have a great day and STAYNCHARGE

------------------
JIM PAYNE