• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fish house insulation?

slick2526

Question

Going to buy a 2 man brief-case style frabill portable fish house from my uncle. Its the older style that has the blue tarps on them. I was wondering if any of you had any ideas for insulation on the inside for when resistance and not to let so much heat out. I was kind of think fan-fold or a sew space blankets to the inside of the fish house tarp. I would like to have the insulation to fit in the fish house while folded up. Thanks for your time.

5 answers to this question

what do you heat the thing with? I have 2 portables 1- 5x7 the other 7x8 and have never had a problem heating them with a standard sunflower heater, I do use carpet on the floor tho. the other thing you could do is to get a small 12v fan, i found one at macs that cme out of a printer or other electronics and its very quiet, I put it near the floor and blow the cold air up, it forces the warm air down keeping the holes open, havent complained once even down to -25. the insulation may work but then you'll have lots of condensation between the insul and the canvas that may make packing up a pain...??

For a portable it's got to be flexable. Large sheets of bubble wrap insulate well. You will have to experiment on how to fasten. Will you be setting this up for long periods? Using a small propane heater should be good enough. Insulating may be more trouble that it's worth.
-FT2

I have 2 portables also and if I am alone I can use the Mr Buddy heater and be just fine. If I have my wife or cold blooded coworkers who can never get warm, I can use my sunflower and keep the 2 doors open a crack and be just fine ventalation wise.
If you are wanting to stay over night in it, then you might think about insulation, otherwise stick with a decent heater which will cost you between $50 to $100 MAX.
I think adding any insulation at all would be a sponge for the amount of moisture and such inside.

Keep us posted with what you decide today.

Yes, I use a propane sunflower heater. It doesnt work to well when the wind gets up in there tho. Kinda just blows all the heat right out. I guess i will have to look around to see what I can come up with. thanks for the info guys. hey minneman how much did you pay for that fan?