• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dish Network or Direct TV

bassNspear

i have direct tv and i like it, dont lose signal often in bad storms once in awhile yes. Pretty much when your contract for cheap rates is up call and beat them up on price and they usually toss in free movie channels for 4 months or something like that which is nice.

I got DirecTV last month and did the 5 months free Sunday Ticket. Gotta cancel it before 5 months is up, which doesn't bother me- the seasons over then. I have been very happy with it so far. Have lost signal once- during our flood rainstorm, and it poured that night, worse than I have ever seen it rain in my life. I used to have Dish and lost signal often

I ordered Direct TV on Friday and the install is scheduled for next Saturday.

My favorite part, your estimated first 12 months payments = $44.99. smile Sure there will be some tax and stuff added on but that is half what I'm paying for Comcast, and I get all the same channels, maybe more!

I've also been against Satellite for losing signal in storms and stuff but I'll live with it for the very few times it does happen to save that kind of money a month.

I'm honestly fed up with what we're all willing to pay to have the new fancy gadgets and tech. $90 for a Blackberry plan is retarded so I finally got rid of that too! I can buy 3 St Croix Legend Tournaments for how much I'll save on the phone bill. LOL!

I had Dish Network. If a snowflake or raindrop hit the satellite I lost signal. I had to pay extra for local channels. I had 399 channels of absolute garbage including right around 15 home shopping channels. I had the lowest price package and the cost was outragous.

A while ago I switched to Direct TV. Much better programming, cheaper, have not lost signal yet, and I was able to watch the Twins game yesterday.

Frustrating having to wait, let me know if you want it sooner, i have a authorized installer number, may get it up for ya sooner

I don't mind waiting... I've still got my Comcast cable right now so I've got something to watch anyway.

I just went thru the sattellite dish dillema. We've had DirecTv for 6 years at our house and always had trouble when there was rain clouds or heavy snow off to the south.

Yea, I blamed it on company most of the time and the wife always mumbled "@$##@ Satellite". Finally last month I decided to look into it a little more. I went up and looked at my dish and turns out the original installer mounted it on a small overhang (pop out room) roof and the base leg was on the very bottom and missed the plywood. So it was not very stable when the wind picked up.

I placed a 2x6 on the roof and remounted the brackets and painted the base and then tried to re-align the dish. We got 3 of the sats in at 85% or so, but couldn't get the 99 and the 103 in. I called in to the tech support and asked what sats FSN and TNT and EspnHD were on because even with 85% they would not come in. She told me there was a 99 and a 103 sat that has to be lined up also for those to work.

Bottom line is that I had an old round dish with a center LNB and then a screw on bracket with 2 more...it was an older model. She said with your model dish, it is very hard to get it aligned and you should have it professsionally aligned.

I said no thanks, and purchased a slimline 5 from solid signal and installed that. It is wide and curved to better pick up the signals. Once hooked up, it took me under 3 minutes to have it aligned and pick up all 5 sats with 89% or higher signal.

Bottom line is that if you have a round (older type dish) i believe you are more apt to loose the signal during rain or snow. Newer dish's are better designed and easier to align.

I've got Dish Network, still not too happy about losing Fox Sports North. They are lucky baseball season is over. I have never seen advertisements on the old channel 436 like that, basically slamming Fox Sports, and Fox has a HSOforum slamming Dish. I thought they would have this worked out by now.

DD

I've got Dish Network, still not too happy about losing Fox Sports North. They are lucky baseball season is over. I have never seen advertisements on the old channel 436 like that, basically slamming Fox Sports, and Fox has a HSOforum slamming Dish. I thought they would have this worked out by now.

DD

I'm mad about that also!!! I'm going to call or e-mail them. Since they took it away from me, I want some money back. I upgraded packages so I could have fox sports north. They've got my money, but I'm not getting what I paid for!!

Anyone know what channel the twins will be on this week?? I scored tickets to the first game Weds, but need to watch from home thursday!!

Our family has had dish network for quite a few years already but i think its horrible. Like others have stated, it there is more than 1/2 a cloud in the sky or two rain drops or a a flake of snow you have lost reception. This summer were I worked we also had dish and we even had a few days of completely blue sky and all of a sudden black screen and you have lost reception! When my time comes I WILL NOT subscribe to Dish Network. Just my .02.

Our family has had dish network for quite a few years already but i think its horrible. Like others have stated, it there is more than 1/2 a cloud in the sky or two rain drops or a a flake of snow you have lost reception. This summer were I worked we also had dish and we even had a few days of completely blue sky and all of a sudden black screen and you have lost reception! When my time comes I WILL NOT subscribe to Dish Network. Just my .02.

Either you work for DirectTV, or your dish isn't adjusted right. Which one??? grin

Switching to Direct today right after work!! They apparently are having a peeing match with FX right now and pulled that channel off the menu indefinitly which means no Sons of Anarchy this thursday which I am more than displeased about. They apologized when I called and in it's place put some lame movie channel.

Well the dish is up and running, had it a week now. Other than having to learn what all the new channels are, we're good to go.

So with Comcast, I had Standard Cable and Digital Preferred with HD Channels for a grand total of $83.44 + $12.12 (tax & fees) = $95.56

New bill with DirecTV is $44.99 (Choice Ultimate) + $3.11 (tax) = $48.10.

For a whopping total of $47.46 a month in savings for the first year. Just crazy!! Lets round it abit, thats $600 over the year! I'm smiling.

It gets a bit better when I called Comcast today to chat with them about my Cable Internet. I told them I just switched my TV to DirecTV and was wondering what options I had with my cable internet. I was told that since I wasn't "bundled" anymore (TV + Internet), my internet would be $15 more per month. I laughed and said I can't do that. She said could you please hold a few minutes.

She comes back on and says they can give me 6 months for $27.59 (not sure on the cents) and then 6 months after that for $47.59. Over the year that would be a $37 average and my current internet charges are $42.95. So a bit of a savings over the year but I like the big savings the first 6 months and maybe I'll just call again and tell them I'm switching to Qwest in 6 months. Heck of a lot better than the $42.95 + $15 like I was being told earlier today.

I know there have been a few topics about this but if you have and like Comcast, call them and tell them you are switching to DirecTV, they'll give you some deals. And the really funny part, it was easy. They were like oh shoot, you are switching, let see what we can do for you.

On 10/5/2010 at 11:40 AM, LwnmwnMan2 said:

Either you work for DirectTV, or your dish isn't adjusted right. Which one??? grin

Neither!! A little late on the response (few years late) dish in our house hold has always been horrible like he said any rain drop, snow flake or a little wind and it's out. I've heard dish is fine just not where we were located I guess! spearing machine and I are brothers. That's how I know. 

On 10/5/2010 at 6:37 AM, Spearing Machine said:

Edited by Fishin machine