• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dish Network or Direct TV

bassNspear

What do you all have. I have the Choice Xtra 57.99. Then i have to pay 9.99 for HD a month, and no Tivo

I have been looking at DIsh Network and there selling the same package for 49.99 with a DVR! But then i believe you have to pay 24,99 a month for HD?

Why dont they give you HD with the 49.99 package?

What do you all think

I am pretty happy with DishNetwork. I have the top 200, plus silver HD, plus DVR. It should be $59.99 a month if you just need to be able to watch on 2 TVs at a time, add 5 more bucks to watch on 2 more TVs, and add another 6 bucks or so if you want DVR on those other TVs. With their DVR I can record 2 channels while I watch live TV or record 3 channels while I watch a pre-recorded show (using 2 satellite tuners and 1 over the air tuner).

What I like about Dish versus the others is that with their setup, I can watch any of the DVR shows that I recorded on any of the TVs in the house. They send a signal out to the rest of the house through your normal cabling. They give you a second remote control that is RF, not infrared, so it can shoot through walls and ceilings. That means you can take it anywhere in your house and control the second tuner, watching either live TV or DVR shows from anywhere. I can take it upstairs to watch TV in the bedroom or downstairs to watch TV by the pool table. I don't think DirecTV or Comcast offer this option. I know when I was looking, DirecTV made you pay $5 for each TV after the "primary" one, to rent the box that sits next to the TV, so in my situation I'd be out $10 bucks for the other 2 TVs, plus I would NOT have been able to watch DVR shows on those other TVs.

I am pretty happy with DishNetwork.

yup.gif

They have a new 922 receiver in the works that has SlingBox technology built right in which should be the go-to box for people who want to use Sling now or in the future. (Dish bought the rights to Sling Media a while back)

The Dish DVR's are arguably the best on the market right now. The one thing the DirecTV DVR's have that Dish do not is the ability to program the DVR from any PC. That would come in handy at times when you're not at home and forgot to set the timer to record your favorite show. That's probably a small item as programming and price will be the main driver in which service you decide to go with.

I have had no issues with Dish and the 622 DVR. It's a Ford/Chevy thing, but it works for me. I also added an external hard drive to archive the recordings I wish to keep and to extend the space available for recording.

I have a flat screen downstairs, and then i have a bedroom tv that i would want hooked up as well.

But i want to have HD on the flat screen like i do now. Looks like alot of people like Dish Network from who i have talked to.

Just seems like Direct is so much more money.

For a 2 room setup like you have, then you'll just get a single "tuner box" that has the DVR hardware and the satellite tuners in it. It'll sit by your main TV and you have a remote for it. Then they give you a second remote that is RF (meaning it can control the box even though it's not in the same room) that you take and use next to your other TV.

Right now the set top box they are selling is the 722, which has dual satellite tuners and if you hook an antenna, you will be able to watch/record up to 3 simultaneous streams with it. As has been mentioned, their new box is a 922, it's basically a suped up version that will have more storage space for the DVR recordings (1 terabyte), plus it has "slingbox" which allows you to re-broadcast your recordings to your computer at work, your cell phone, or just about anywhere else. Plus there are rumors that it could someday have the ability to watch youtube, google video, It will also have web-enabled programming, in case you're out of town and something comes up that you need to record. It has some other features like RSS feeds for stock quotes and news and the like...they say not available til spring, but if past performance with new hardware releases is any indicator, I would guess summer.

I don't think you'll save a ton of money with dish versus directv - you probably will get some type of introductory promo rate or rebate or something for switching, plus it might be a few bucks less per month (as I said, total cost would be 60 bucks plus all the cuddy taxes and fees)...but if you use the DVR a lot, you will most likely be happier with DishNetwork. I know many people who have DirecTV that hate the fact that the recordings can only be watched on TV that is connected to the box they recorded it on.

With two TV's wouldn't he get a dual-tuner STB? I have the 622 and that's the way mine is set up. That way you can watch two different things on the two TV's. Or, record two different things at the same time.

edit: Never mind, I misread what you were describing.....just one physical box but with two tuners built-in. I think we are saying the same thing.

Thing I didn't like about dish network is that you get one DVR. I like having one upstairs so the wife can record what she wants and one down in the man cave so I can see what I want. I went with Directv for this reason. I also liked with sat that when the phone rang, the caller ID came up on the TV. Cool little feature and you can do online programming with Directv. However, they wanted $200 for me to get an HD receiver so I switched to Comcast who also has good service.

I don't think you can really go wrong with any. Comes down to how much they are, what they offer you and how much the gear is. For me, didn't like the one receiver thing with Dish. Also don't like having to pay for equipment that fails like you do with the Dish companies.

Thing I didn't like about dish network is that you get one DVR. I like having one upstairs so the wife can record what she wants and one down in the man cave so I can see what I want. I went with Directv for this reason.

You only get one "box", but believe me, it is definitely NOT only one DVR. You can record 3 shows at the same time with that single box. And you can watch ANY of the shows that are recorded on ANY tv in your house. You cannot do that with a DVR that directv puts out. You can only watch your shows in your man cave and she can only watch her shows upstairs. With DishNet you would be more flexible.

If 3 shows at one time is not enough recording capability, one can also add a SECOND box, which allows for 3 more shows to record at the same time. Adding a standard definition DVR box is like 11 bucks more a month, or high def is like 14 bucks more a month. I don't know how much DirecTV charges for additional DVRs besides the first one.

Thing I didn't like about dish network is that you get one DVR. I like having one upstairs so the wife can record what she wants and one down in the man cave so I can see what I want. I went with Directv for this reason. I also liked with sat that when the phone rang, the caller ID came up on the TV. Cool little feature and you can do online programming with Directv. However, they wanted $200 for me to get an HD receiver so I switched to Comcast who also has good service.

I don't think you can really go wrong with any. Comes down to how much they are, what they offer you and how much the gear is. For me, didn't like the one receiver thing with Dish. Also don't like having to pay for equipment that fails like you do with the Dish companies.

Our 722 receiver from Dish does caller ID if you have the phone line hooked to the receiver.

We have (2) 722 receivers, an older 501 DVR and a real old 301 receiver, no DVR.

Our bill with HD, local, 200 package is right at $100 per month, with HD available on 4 TVs, and ability to record 5 programs at one time, with ability to have 6 TV (OR picture in picture) being watched at one time.

We have (2) 722 receivers, an older 501 DVR and a real old 301 receiver, no DVR.

and ability to record 5 programs at one time, with ability to have 6 TV (OR picture in picture) being watched at one time.

LwnmwnMan2, if you hook up a standard over-the-air antenna to your VIP722 receivers (there is a coax input on the back specifically for this), you will be able to record 3 shows at one time on each 722 giving you 7 simultaneous DVR streams when you add your 501 to the mix. This of course assumes that on each 722, one of the three shows is available over the air. This may or may not be a safe assumption depending on viewing habits.

Anyway, I initially didn't give the OTA antenna a second thought, since I thought it would be redundant with the local channels over satellite, but once I figured out the DVR could record 3 shows at once, I changed my mind quick. It helps to avoid recording/watching conflicts, especially during times like today and tomorrow when "24" decides to run a 4 hour, 2 day season premiere...

Originally Posted By: caseymcq
We have Direct TV. The service is great. The customer service is absolutely horrible.

How can service be great, but customer service be horrible. That makes no since.

Service = actual signal???

As for the OTA antenna, we live a ways out, surrounded by trees. We barely got signals with the rabbit ears, that's why we have satellite.

We're doing good with this setup.

Rarely are there two things we'd like to record at the same time, let alone 3. IF there's 2 things on at one time, we can play Wii, PS3, or watch something recorded, or head to the bedroom where the 501 is, or we could even record that 3rd show there if we really needed to.

How can service be great, but customer service be horrible. That makes no since.

Here are a couple of definitions and some gramatical assistance grinwink

Service: the supplying or a supplier of public communication ... (i.e. the company's product, the satellite service we are purchasing: programming, signal, features, equipment, etc.)

Customer service: assistance and other resources that a company provides to the people who buy or use its products or services (i.e. the service we recieve from the company when we have an issue with their product).

It would make no SENSE, not SINCE.

I have Dish Network. One unit(2 receivers in one), 2 dvr's, high def, I think it is the top 250 channels, free Cinemax (if you sign up for paperless billing, why wouldn't you?). We have 1 receiver set up in basement, the other runs the upstairs living room, bedroom tv, and garage tv. So those tv's on the 2nd receiver we have to watch what is on the same for all of them (ie we can't watch different channels on them) which isn't a big deal to us at all. Bill is $59 and change a month. I think they also had 1 or 2 months free when we signed up. Keep your eyes open for deals, because they are out there.

Plus, I can't stand DirectTV's remote control, it is set up so poorly, in my opinion.

We just did a switch from Dish to Direct recently. Pricing was the main reason. We are getting pretty much the same at a better price.

Having been a former Satellite contractor, I would have to say that the Dish equip seems to be a little better quality.

Thank god I don't have to wait for Direct to get a service call, they are booked out over 3 weeks. It would be a major bummer if I couldn't use the tele for that long.

I like dish Network because if you get the top 200 plan, it includes

FSN (twins)

NFL (football games people complain they can't see)

With Direct you had to get the 120 package and upgrade with an additional sports package to get both of these at a similar price. It seemed like I got more channels with DISH NET.

Gonna bump this up as its about a year old.

Made a big choice yesterday with my cell phone and now I'm looking at cost savings for my home entertainment as well.

I've got Comcast now for TV & Internet, TV portion of the bill alone is about $85 which includes digital & HD but no 'premium' movie channels.

Seams like just switching to Direct TV can potentially save me $40/month over the first year and a little less than that the second year. Thats the special pricing they have right now.

I'm really not interested in DVR at all which seams to have been pretty important to the previous posters in this topic. I miss a show, I miss a show... oh well. I'll live through it.

Anyone have any more opinions on Dish or Direct TV??

Speaking of internet, what other options are out there as well. I'm looking at $40 and change for Comcast internet. I see they have an economy package for $20 but the download/upload speeds are significantly slower than what I have. Seriously all I use the net for is Facebook, internet forums, Youtube, paying bills, and regular browsing. How fast do I need it to be? smile

i switched from cable to satellite. Wanted dish as their basic package seemed to have more channels i would want vs direct but at my apt didn't have a clear signal for the dish satellite so went with directv. Intro price is half of cable for 2 years. I can say with direct during last weeks weather/storms i didn't lose signal at all. I had satellite back about 6 years ago and always seemed if clouds out, no signal.

Internet thru Q, no complaints the basic speed package is just fine by me