• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

how big does it have to be for you to mount an eye?

jwmiller33

For me it would be 8lbs or better I have only caught one in my life that was 29" and this was the day before opener a few years back on the Crow while fishing for crappies, got some nice pics and let her go SAD SAD DAY!!!! But it was awesome just to catch one that big on a ultralight with 4 pound line and land it without a net.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part of the deal is that I am just not that crazy for walleyes, unlike some of you guys out there! I make it much more of a goal to catch a truly magnificent musky or pike. That's just the way I am.

That being said, I am really blessed to be able to spend alot of time fishing the rivers in the spring when the walleyes are pre-spawn. I'm kind of spoiled that way--there's been so many walleyes in the boat over 30 inches, I can't even remember. Not bragging. There's plenty of guys out there who have done the same, or could if they put in the time that I do.

So, it would have to be something really special. For me, that would be 32 inches long, OR, 30 inches long, and really, really fat. There is only one walleye ever in my boat that I would have gotten a replica of, without question, except it wasn't caught by me. Steve Jonesi caught it with me last spring on the Mississippi. I think it was 30 inches long, with an 18" girth. We didn't weigh it, and let it go pretty quickly, but formulas put it at around 12 pounds. Really an impressive fish.

I need to catch one like this

stevejonesi007copy.jpg

Just that tiny picture on my computer screen, with the background and cold feel with the snow and dormant tree, and that HUGE walleyes, does way for me than a mount on a flat wall in a house. Just my opinion. Great pic.

The smallest walleye replica I've made for someone is 13" and the largest one I've made is 35". It just depends on who caught it, where it was caught, the story behind it. It dosen't have to make everyone happy and meet their approval, just yours. After all your the one spending the money on the mount. If it makes you happy, go for it smile

The smallest walleye replica I've made for someone is 13" and the largest one I've made is 35". It just depends on who caught it, where it was caught, the story behind it. It dosen't have to make everyone happy and meet their approval, just yours. After all your the one spending the money on the mount. If it makes you happy, go for it smile

There you go! Randy's got the best answer yet. Don't let anyone else tell you what a trophy should be.

32" or over 12 lbs. I had one 32 incher years back but no tape in the fishhouse. I did however, mark it inside the house. Later when I found the tape burried in my pickup it read 32" cry

Having hit the 10 mark multiple times it is gonna have to be a piggy. I really want one for the wall too since I do not have any fish mounted, yet.

mw

32" or more.

I've released several 29-31" fish, but can't break that 32" yet...

I must admit that I stuffed a 10 lb Devil's Lake ice eye that was deep hooked in the stomach. Those fish are hungry over there.

Mikey- I learned the hard way too when my wife caught a 31", no tape. Marked the length in the boat and later measured. If she would have known the length of that pig I'm sure that fish would be on the wall... Tape is always along now. grin

Caught my 1st 28 1/2 incher last spring, thought about it for a couple minutes after taking pictures, and decided to let her go. Told myself it needs to be 30+. The next weekend I had a 30+ up to the boat (twice). Both times my buddy missed it with the net. Needless to say the 3rd time she shook to hook. Never seen a real life walleye that big. Had to be 30-32 inches. Would have mounted that one, but the next question is do I keep it or get a replica mount? Hopefully I can make that decision sometime soon!

For me time of the year plays a big part because I caught a 30.5 in June and released it because it was to darn skinny but I have caught a 29.5 in the fall and through the ice and those fish because they are filled with eggs have huge belly's and weigh a heck of a lot more. Now if I could get a 31" in February wink

31 I already have one on the wall thats 30 1/2 so I gotta take the next step.

I catch way to many walleyes between 25-29 to ever consider anything that small but thats just me. I just have a very good walleye lake to fish. Like people have said before, don't let anyone decide what your trophy is. It varries form person to person.

BuckKiller, I am with you. I have a lake that produces consistant 25-29" walleyes. And to be completely honest, that just isn't big enough to consider mounting. That is the lake that I pulled the 33 1/2" fish out of. With two boats we caught 13 between 27-30" in 2 hours. It was the best walleye fishing I had ever experienced. No I will not give the name of the lake because their may only be two boats on the lake at any one time. It is a very thin and long lake, with 4 rivers feeding in and one river feeding out. Oh yeah it is in Canada. It only has one house on the entire lake. These fisheries are rare, but like I said before, if you are lucky enough to be able to find/fish these types of resources your benchmark changes quickly.

Well I also agree with the situational response. For me, It would have to be upper 20's and a beautiful goldie,(none of those white bellied ones)but it HAS to come from the lake that I have been fishing and love to fish. I have caught my handful of fish, including a 30 in. from LOTW, but the fish was ugly in my eyes. There was no defects, it just didn't have any color or story behind it. It was just another 30incher from LOTW.

For me, it's all about the color and proportions of the fish, and also the body of water it was caught on.