• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Admiral Road Feeder

Borealhunter

I got a phone call from Steve R today about the Admiral Road feeder. Steve was concern that someone has sawed off some branches on the tree that holds the feeder and deer ribs. I have not been up there since yesterday morning when I was up there with Mo in the early am hours. Steve noticed the sawed off branches when he arrived at the feeders mid day around 11am.

Does anyone know of this and also there are now two feeders there and I was under the impression that only one feeder is needed. I have no opinions either way but I thought I share a concern from another photographer. With this site getting a lot of attention you have wonder over time people are going to add more feeders and possibly more people manipulating the feeders ( removing branches and etc..) for there own purposes.

If you guys have any thoughts on this and want me to add some notice to MOU listserv about adding feeders or cutting branches off and etc.. let me know because I can send something out.

Thanks

Mike, Steve didn't mention any issues when we were photographing together at the feeding station not long ago. What were his concerns?

The branches were sawed off and brush cleared around the trees to limit the number of perches for the birds. It doesn't keep the birds from using the feeders but makes things easier for avian photographers because it reduces the number of perches they have to pay attention to in order to get good photographs.

That being said, I haven't been there since Tuesday and don't know if more branches have been cut off than what were there that day. I know other photographers have been coming regularly to that feeding station, and it wouldn't surprise me if some of them had cut off more branches. For some avian photographers, the ideal setup is a single small feeder with a single perch next to it and no other feeders or perches nearby, so birds that want seed essentially must land on the perch put up by the photographer. Personally, I don't mind some trimming to reduce perches and clear backgrounds, though I have my limits. Some photographers are far more thorough, however, and may eventually turn the tree into nothing but a single trunk going up six or seven feet. That's more than I'm usually willing to do, but I understand the compulsion.

Multiple feeders also can make life difficult if you are a bird photographer. The more feeders, the harder it is to stay close enough to the birds to get good photographs because when you get close enough to suit you, they just bump toward another feeder, and you end up chasing them in a frustrating round-robin. But the photographer can just take down and hide all but one of the feeders until he/she is done photographing and then put them back up.

The feeding station is shared by birders and bird photographers, whose love of birds are the same but whose needs in expressing that love are somewhat different, and I don't really see a problem with the way things have gone so far. Avian photographers have been able to get excellent images, and birders have been able to add a number of species to their life lists. Plus, sparse branches rather than thick branches make it easier for birders to pick out and ID various species. To me, that seems like effective multiple use.

That's just my perspective, however, nothing more. JayinMN, the guy who started the station in the first place, might have something to say about it. smilesmile

Like I said I am just the messenger and I do not have opinion one way or another about removing branches on the tree. I personally just like the fact that this is the most consistent place to view Boreal Chickadees in Sax-Zim.

Steve when I got to the feeder today someone had taken the larger cage and strapped it to the backside of a different tree. I am sure it was done just to get a different back ground which isn't all bad but they should have put it back because if any birder's come along it makes it a little tough to observe while they are feeding. As far as the branch that has been cut it could be completely removed and just put a hole in the tree and add your branch but that's just me. I was shooting with Steve and he mention it but Buzzsaw and Stan liked the idea of less spots to try and focus on when the Boreals are arriving. I am sure that is why my Boreal shots are getting better.

Well, I sure have nothing against photographers moving things around at a feeding station. But they should be returned to their previous positions before photogs leave. That's simple politeness and consideration.

I did saw one branch to the left of the ribcage off so there was only about a foot or two left, and when I wanted to swap out perches I used a squeeze clamp to hold various perches to the stub. That leaves more options than drilling a hole in the trunk, because with an existing stub and a clamp, you can position the perch in a nearly infinite variety of ways. If all you have is a hole or two in the trunk to stick a perch in, it's harder to position perches the way you want to.

Steve the only reason I say that is the other Steve drilled a hole and put up a small branch with lichen on it and it made for a great shot but now we are back to multiple landing spots but at least they are on top of each other so it is a easy move of the focal point.

Jim, I didn't know which Steve you were talking about in your last post. Now I do. I guess you were talking about shooting with Steve R, not with me. And in saying things should be returned to their original positions when a photographer leaves, I was talking only about your reference to moving the ribcage.

This is all getting a little strange. It's hard to know who means what here, so I'm not going to worry about it anymore. It's all good as far as I'm concerned. If anyone has anything to say about it, it's Jay, since he established the station in the first place. smilesmile

Like I said I am just the messenger and I do not have opinion one way or another about removing branches on the tree. I personally just like the fact that this is the most consistent place to view Boreal Chickadees in Sax-Zim

I don't think anybody should move other peoples carcasses around unless they put them back where they came from. I wonder how many tree's the loggers take out of the bog on a yearly basis?

Well, now anyone wanting to use that branch as a perch (pretty sure I recognize it as being attached to the tree) with all the cool moss and lichen will have to clone out the 3/8 inch drill hole in Photoshop.

Clamps, clamps are the thing. gringringrin

MM, you don't need to pack your drill at all. The holes seem to have been drilled. Just poke around the nearby woods to find a perch that says "boreal forest," and you can jamb it into one of the cribbage board of holes already drilled.

Golly, I bet those trees are starting to look like the woodpeckers have been working them over. I hope all that honeycombing doesn't weaken them so much that they tip over before spring. winkwink

And here I thought all I've ever needed for bird photography was my camera and a few extra batteries......wrong!.....guess I need a 1/2" Dewalt, battery operated, $129.00 reversible drill,before I hit the woods from now on...gotta be "in vogue" you know grin.......gotta keep up with the "times" grin.....wonder if that drill comes with a holster whistle.....

I guess I feel at fault here by announcing on MOU listserv about this feeder on Admiral Rd. I had no idea that this area would be so over whelmed with photographers and birders. I feel maybe this set up was intended to be used by local photographers and now we got photographers drilling holes, sawing branches, moving the deer cages and etc.. Next time I will keep things quiet. Also this is why I am asked by some people not to post Boreal Owls this winter because of overly agressive photographers and yes birders with their small compact digital cameras approaching these owls to close and spooking them off their roost. I am still pondering if I should post Boreal Owl locations this winter. Last irruption I got my [PoorWordUsage] chewed out by a biologist studying Boreal Owls and accusing me of all kinds of stuff because I shared all my locations in 2004-05. Like all hobbies there are good apples and bad apples. I say it was down right rude and basically being a [PoorWordUsage]&&%^Y^ for not putting things back where they belonged. My two cents.

In any case maybe Jay should put a small sign up asking people to not move deer cages or cut any more branches off the tree. The place will eventually look like some sort of photography studio and all the props.

Getting cranky need to stop typing on this subject.

Mike, I don't think Jason had any private/selfish motives in putting up the station. And had you not put up the location on MOU net, someone else would have, because it's simply too good and public a location to pass up.

No worries, friend!

Now, on those boreal owls, I agree publicizing them would put them at some risk from the uneducated/unscrupulous masses. Plus, there are nature photographers (a small minority, but they are there) who will stop at nothing to get the images they want.

I may have started the feeding station but I can't take ownership of it because its on public land. Everyone has just as much of a right to use it as I do. I knew by putting it on the side of the road it is going to attract lots of people. It attracted lots of people last year. I like watching the birds as much as I like taking their pictures, especially when its -30 below. I personally do not have a problem with any that has happened or been changed there, but it would probably be best to leave as little impact as possible in the future. I think clamps are a great tool and should be used. This spot has been enjoyed by photographers and birders for a couple years now and I am hope it can continue on that way.

If Jay give's me the OK and it is good with everybody else the next time I go up to the station I could wire the cage to the tree and I could put some fresh cage up at the same time. If wired up it would slow down anybody from repositioning the cage unless they had tools along. I like the fact that people from out of state can come and fill there life list or just another chance to see a hard to find bird. The look on the guys face from Indiana seeing a Boreal Chickadee for the first time in 30 years was pretty special and then the next guys who come up are from Green Bay who had never seen a Boreal and they got to see 2 at one time on the cage plus take pictures and the whole time I was still shooting them was a lot of fun and made my day as well.

To make it the best of all possible worlds, there should only be one ribcage there. Too many "cages" is like too many feeders and too many perches.

Best location for the "cage" would be where the left-most one has been, because boreal chickadees are the target species and they almost always come in from the left and stage in the spruces there. Just IMO.

I've read this post several times and the more I read it, the more I think it's totally wrong to saw off branches and drill holes in trees on public property, just for the sake of getting a "clean" shot. Even if these acts don't damage the trees, it's still isn't right. I have no problem with a person using clamps, as this is temporary. IMO, natural areas should be left natural for all to enjoy,not scarred for life. I consider getting a "clean" shot of a bird, a major part of the challenge, albeit a very frustrating part at times. Personally, I don't have a large amount of "clean" bird shots, but the ones I do have, I was very excited to get them. If I went about it the way some photographers do, it would lose it's thrill for me. I realize some photographers will do anything to get that "killer" shot, but they should think twice about their methods. If they want to do it on their own private property, that's their prerogative, but please leave the public property the way they found it.

Anyhoo, that's my feelings on the matter.

I was up at Admiral today with clients and I have to say honestly the tree where the rib cages are attached and where the two feeders are hung on look TERRIBLE!!

All the side branches are sawed off except one stubby sawed branch with drilled holes where the Boreal Chickadees land on before hopping to the deer cages. Also many stripped spruce branches that were cut off for perches are tossed on the ground below the deer cages. The place looks terrible and I can't believe how destructive some photographers are just so they can get some photo of a Boreal Chickadee that they HOPE they can sell to some bird magazine or book. Since this is public property (County or State land) I agree with the above statements by X-Tackleman.

The next time I visit this feeder I am going to pich up those branches and toss them! I already left a good tonque thrashing on MOU listserv about my feelings on this and asked photographers to leave the area natural.

I appreciate that people want to feed birds in Sax Zim and erected these places like this but when it comes to the point where people are sawing tree branches and making a mess of things for a photo than I am going to be speak out against this just like I will speak out against people who bait owls for photos.

Yes I benefit by bringing clients here to view Boreal Chickadees but its not the only place I know in the bog to find Boreal Chickadees its just convenient to see them here at the feeder but I do not stand by and let my clients saw branches down or rip branches off other trees for props and leave them on the ground.

Getting very angry!