• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I just bought a used BAR 7mmRem.mag. & put a new scope on.

A VX 1 Leupold 2-7X... I have a Redfield Widefield 1.5-5X on my Model 742 Remington .30-06 which I put on in 1979... I have no bore sighter...any tips for a quick sight in....FYI I am not a reloader, just factory loads..I have been hunting for 40+ years.... thx Al

I'd shoot it at a very large target (sheet of paper with a cross on it) from a short distance (25 yards if it its not boresighted at all). Then put the scope right back on that bullseye and make sure the gun does not move. Adjust the cross hairs so they go to the bullet hole. This should get you about right on and then adjust from there and move back.

Congrats on the BAR; I have one in 300 Win Mag and love it. OK, both methods mentioned by Esox and Lawdog are effective, if you have the equipment. Short of that, shoot at a short distance, 10-25 yds if you are unsure if you will hit the target. Fire a single, very precise shot, or a 3-shot group, and find your point of impact. Adjust your scope accordingly to hit dead on at this short distance, then move your target back to your desired sight-in range and fine tune things. Remember to factor in the short distance when making the scope adjustments. For example: scope with 1 click = 1/4 inch @ 100 yds (aka 1/4 MOA), at 10 yds, takes 10 clicks to move 1/4 inch; or at 25 yds, takes 4 clicks to move 1/4 inch.

Model 742 Remington .30-06 which I put on in 1979...

I have that same gun, woodsmaster edition, was grandpa's handed down. It has the original scope that he had put on there have had thoughts of upgrading on the scope, but on the other hand like to keep it just the way I got it. But those new scopes they got out there are awesome