• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fox & Wolf River, Lake Winnebago & Area Fishing Reports

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walleye fishing is hot out on lake Winnebago. Guys are getting nice fish trolling the mud out in the middle with planar boards and fishing reefs with leeches/crawlers on slip bobbers. I fished yesterday for 4 hours and caught 12. Brought 4 home for dinner. Fishing should be pretty hot for a few more weeks still.

Be sure to check the reg's and follow the new rules and empty your livewell and bilge out before leaving.

Anyone hear or know of the shad numbers this year throughout the Winnebago system?? I know the duck hunters gave us a positive outlook last year, but I haven't heard a peep. Trying to forecast the Pike action this year in which the shad play heavily into this factor. Thanks All.

Tightlines,

Gatorbait

I would like to know how much open water there is here and if there is any decent ice over deep water. I hope to make a couple trips this year, it's only an hour or so away from me. Seeing as posts on the WI forum seem to last a while hopefully someone can help me out. In the Madison area there is still a lot of open water on bigger lakes like Mendota and Monona. Wabesa, Mud, Beaver Dam, Crystal, Indian, Wingra, Cherokee and other small lakes are ice covered and have 4-8 inches of ice. Some of the ice is not the best with slush on top so right now there are not many sleds/wheelers out yet.

Fished Big Green this morning just outside of town and there wasn't any ice past the bay. Can't vouch for anyother areas of the lake, but from what I saw today, it's going to have to get really really cold for a period of time. Did get a limit of dandy gills though. Good times.

*Update*

Was out today, and with the 40degree weather the ice was signficantly getting worse. On top of that was all the snow that was on the ice yesterday is now 2inches of standing water. Although the fishing was still good, it wasn't as good as yesterday. Fished from 6am to about 10am and ended up with a limit of gills but had to play keep away from the massive amounts of dink starving perch. All gills ranged from 7in to 10in.

The aqua-vu saved me from landing a hundred dink perch that were acting like they never ate before. I literally caught a few perch within the confines of my drilled hole, which they followed the bait upward 4ft. Unreal. Only a few gills would compete with the perch, but I played keep away for awhile. Anyways, good fishing to be had there for awhile, panfish style.

It ave's about 3-4ft. I'm going again tomorrow morning, things have still been going strong. Getting away from the crowd will not produce fish as the fish are where the crowds are, unfortunately.

Lots of Pike have finally moved in, but isn't affecting the bite as I suspected. Had one try to eat my camera the other day, that was exciting until reality and $$$ popped into my head. smile.gif

Worth the money if you are recording grin.gif! I guess I will have to save the gas for now. I have a coworker who's folks own a cabin on the lake. He said last January they went out for trout in their boat and had to break up some ice when they came back.

I had a friend move to Oshkosh recently and he now has use of his father in law's boat. I want to go visit and fish for a day and since fall is approaching I would guess we will traget walleyes. Any recomendations on lakes or presentations? I have the Lakemaster WI GPS map but have never fished near Oshkosh.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Please post your Fox & Wolf River, Lake Winnebago, Green, Poygan, Eau Claire Lakes, Gordon Flowage and all lakes in the following counties: Calumet-Dodge-Fond du Lac-Green Lake-Marquette-Outagamie-Washington-Waupaca-Waushara County Fishing Reports

Thanks much. Looking forward to a some of you having fun in here.

Gills on Big Green are starting to become a bit more active. Morning bite is so so, but late afternoon to dusk is hopping. Working in about 14ft of the bars has been producing for me. There isn't any thinking if it's a keeper, all are 8in plus. Light tackle has been a blast.

Ice conditions on the Winnebago chain are decent for walking or four wheeler travel only. Many areas with current have opened up comsiderably, where other areas have 8-12" of ice. Fishing on Winnebago chain has been pretty tough this winter with a large population of gizzard shad present, but slowly dying! Some jumbos and the occasional walleye and keeper white bass being caught. Many 6-8" white bass are the primary biters. Best action is either in the mud using a run and style or finding transitions from rock to sand. Jigging seems to be the best method in 9-17 FOW.

The Fox River continues to open up. The walleye bite is on in DePere already with lots of males in the 14-18" range being caught from the BOAT! Landing are open at Fox Point and the Coast Gaurd station at the mouth of the river, but ice conditions will allow you to fish the whole river to the dam Jigs and minnows are your best bets.

The sturgeon spearing season begins in less than a month and there is plenty of concern regarding ice condiditons and the water clarity due to all the run off of the past couple weeks. The next few weeks will either solve the many questions or further answer if we will be in our boats by March 1st!

Good fishing.

If traveling near the Fox River by Neenah/Menasha please use extreme caution. People don't understand that it's still open regardless of how cold it gets. I've heard of 8 people(trucks and snowmobiles) going through the ice up there with 2 casulties so far. Spearing scouters will be out now until the season, so stay safe and use common sense.

Slowly but surely the fishing has begun to pick up. Presently speaking about lakes that reside within Waushara County, we have been seeing decent catches of bluegill and perch.

Big Silver Lake - Perch have been very hungry. Though within this bite come several small fish schools. Simply staying mobile within the 20-30ft range will net you schools of 9-11in fish. If you are looking to take the kids out to just catch some fish, this would be a great day. My 5yr old had a blast the other day. Most fish have been coming on Frostee Jigging Spoons and Genz Worms, white/yellow tipped with waxies or spikes.

Pearl Lake - A good bluegill catch has been going on for a few weeks now. This is primarily a sight fishing contest in about 4-6ft of water. Concentrate on the edges of high rising weeds with small diamond jigs and spikes. Weather has been playing a major role with the fish, sunny has been the best. This has been producing 10in plus fish on a consistent basis.

Pleasant Lake - I haven't been here, but my father mentioned that I need to hit this lake asap. Copious amounts of good size gills. I will report more when I find out first hand.

All for now, enjoy the last of the ice as the end of it is closely approaching. The best is yet to come.

Ice is going buh bye in a hurry. Checked a few lakes in the Waushara area today and most landings and shores were completely shot. A few were also open in certain areas, but most are still ice covered with about 3in of water. Get the boats ready!!

The wolf is wide open. There was some ice barging up south of Chico's, but it has moved on. You should be clear all the way to the mouth. Temp is only 34 as of today and the bite is slow. But, things will begin picking up after this weekend.

Was also out in Eureka this morning on the Fox. Seen a few male dinks caught but nothing to write home about. Temp is 37 so I'll be watching this closely. This area takes off and is usually done before the word gets out, but I won't let ya down.

Good Fishing!