• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Price of Black Oil sunflower seed

Jim Almquist

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good old days?

Shucks, when I started birding in 1972 in Grand Forks, N.D., you could walk into any elevator and walk out with 50 lbs for less than $5.

Yeah, OK, I'm getting old. gringrin

I'm darn glad it's come down though. Now that we've got a backyard full of winter birds I'm definitely gotta keep them coming in. smilesmile

Birdsong, that's almost all I ever feed for birds in winter, anyway. Everything I have coming to the feeders (even the goldfinches, siskins and redpolls that get expensive thistle/niger seed from many bird fans), will gobble the black oil.

I also feed whole corn to help keep the deer and bluejays out of the sunflower. Corn's a lot cheaper and the deer and jays seem to prefer it. Much as I like seeing deer in the yard, they can be an open drain when it comes to seed.

I also put the seed out only first thing in the morning, and just what I think is enough to get through the day with a bit left over. That way the deer still come late in the afternoon but I'm not leaving 5 lbs in the feeders for them to get, just a few cups full.

Nice. That would eliminate some of the shell waste on the ground as well. I'm afraid to ask where the grocery store is. When you say cabin, it doesn't lend itself to being anywhere near the prairie. And for the whole corn you are putting out for the deer and jays, Steve, is that on the cob, off the cob? I should try it to keep the 14 squirrels at bay. The birds hardly have a chance to feed anymore. (What birds--they left after the sharp-shinned kept hanging around on Wednesday.) I bought some of those compressed corn things to see if that would keep them busy longer, but they only last 1 or 2 days. I'll trade you all 14 of the little beasts for a deer or two. Not really--I know they can be really damaging.

Those deer can sure chew up seed!....I threw out about 10 pounds of black oil at a small area last week here near Hibbing(Carey Lake)...the deer ate every morsel!....I mean cleaned it up over night!....that's the end of that! grin....as for the corn eating sparrows....think I'll pass on the cracked corn....sparrows can fend for themselves!....I could use it under my tires if I get stuck! grin

I got a 50# bag of sunflower seeds, a 50# bag of wild bird mix and a 50# bag of cracked corn for Christmas from my brother. He explained it like this "I didn't know what birds eat, so I bought one of each type." I guess I'm ready to feed the birds.

I live in Lancaster,Mn. That's about an hour and 15 minutes from Grand Forks.

My cabin is about 1 1/2 miles from the Canadian border. 20 miles from North Dakota.

They sell the seed at the local grocery store.

If anyone is birding up in this part of the country...let me know. If the cabin is not spoken for your more than welcome to stay.

Shorebird are the Elk you posted common in that area year round?

What are the chances of me finding some if I drove out that way?

I have been throwing around the idea of driving over that way or to Wisconsin to shoot some elk with the camera.

Jay, check with the DNR (probably Thief River Falls or Roseau would be the nearest sizeable DNR offices). There are a couple/three resident herds in NW Minn. year around. Also, the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation probably has info on locations, but the DNR should be able to put you in pretty close to them.

Well, so can shorebird! gringrin