Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jonny_redhorse

"Bog Boreals" (some added pics from X-Mas Day))

13 posts in this topic

Spent this Christmas Eve morning down in the "BOG" watching these rare boreal chickadees.....these guys sure are quick grin...

P1060527-2copy.jpg

P1060528-2.JPG

and of course the redpolls were also very cooperative!

REDPOLL71-2.jpg

and the ever present black capped....still a beautiful bird

Blackcapped.JPG

P1060538-3.jpg

P1060541-3copy.jpg

P1060554-8.JPG

Thanks Ken!.....they sure were!I had 3 in front of me for the whole hour!....just a cold ,crisp morning in the bog!....I spent the hour in the hopes that maybe a marten might make an entrance, but nope, just the birds....no one else around this morning...didn't look like any recent tracks from vehicles at all on the S.Admiral from today(6" of fresh powdery snow and no problem for a truck anyways grin)...that boreal forest sure is quiet, pristine country....there was a bazillion wolf tracks running the road from just last night or maybe a few hours before I got there....they found a plastic garbage bag of someones venison scraps and it was ripped apart and strewn over a 2 block area....those wolves don't mess around! grin...also watched where a moose ran down the road for a mile .....wolves were probably after it...would love to get a photo of a moose in winter!....just a quiet beautiful morning in the bog...a great Christmas present...just nice to be there!...also checked out the Owl Ave station ...the chickadees are using it and a few redpolls....only ben out a week so takes some time....

Johnny I was down there by 8:00 a.m too. No owls though! I also saw all the tracks on S. Admiral. Looks like there was quite a canine party down there and boy did they dig for those bags. I followed the trail into the woods for a bit.

I saw a bobcat today too. I'm not going to post the location on here since I beleive trapping season is still open for them but if you want to know where its feeding drop me an e-mail. The snows so deep it could hardly move. I was driving to fast and couldn't stop my car quick enough and skided right past it. By the tme I backed up it was taking cover in a bunch of brush and must have hid under the snow. I saw its head pop out once but I didn't get a shot of it. I might have to bring it a little more vension to feed on. Here I thought I was the only one down there today..lol

Great captures, Jonny! Sounds like you had a great day. I spent mine driving to the Twin Cities. frown

Jay, that bobcat would be quite a score. Those wild cats are WARY.

Nice pictures Jonny. I haven't had anything other than the usual birds at my feeders. A hundred + Redpolls, 5 Magpies, and 13 Blue Jays yesterday morning.

Great shots of the Boreals Jonny. I hope to swing through the bog on Sunday on the way back from Deer River.

Wow, thanks Jim. I wasn't expecting that. If you come through on Sunday let me know and maybe we could meet up.

The new ones are really beautiful!!! Positions and backgrounds are terrific. You have worked hare for these. Congratulations. I would like some of those mossy perches down here on the prairie, please.

Johnny GREAT PICTURES once again! I sure do N Joy coming here and looking at all the phots you guys post. I for one sure do appreciate it! Thanks again!

Oh and Johnny HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo