• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Artic armor too warm...sweating

Gadgetman

Needed a new pair of bibs to replace my 15 year old Browning gortex ones that are about shot. After reading all the great reviews decided that the floating bibs were for me. Good grief are they hot (warm). I have only been wearing a pair of thin under armor beneath the bibs and end up sitting around in sweaty bibs everytime I have worn them. Granted I am not cold but it isnt that pleasant to sit around in moist clothing. Anybody else having this problem. Perhaps I need a different layer underneath. Even if I leave the zipper open they are still not breathing very well. Aren't they supposed to be breathable? I am perplexed and not totally satisfied with my purchase. I got the camo ones but would never dare wear them for deer hunting as the walk in would have me dripping wet and then to try and sit in a stand would be insane. Thoughts? I dont think that I need to point out how cold it has beent he last couple weeks either

Im thinking you are over dessed under the bibs. I wear my jeans and thats it under mine. If its very cold and Im riding my snowmobile a good distance in them I may wear a thin wicking long underwear but thats very seldom.

I do agree they are warm and dont seem to breath the best but I love mine. The padded knees and that they are waterproof really is great for hole hopping.

I also found out that I very seldom wear the jacket when walking to my spots or I do get over heated. The whole system bibs/jacket are awesome when its cold and your hole hopping or driving the sled out on them cold windy days.

Try wearing just jeans under the bibs. Also Im wondering if your bibs may be a bit too small and your not getting much air movement in them? Anyone else have ideas?

I know my share of fellas, myself included that ran into this problem. I admit, it's a difficult transition to Arctic Armor. I was used to 5 layers of clothes under my Carharts.

I now wear just jeans or a pair of sweat pants. I used to be the sweaty guy too until I realized I was WAY overdressed.

I agree on the learning curve that they get to warm if over dressed! I also found the opisite at first with the coat because I didn't use the sinch strings to keep the wind out!After tightening that up I'm now reworking the layering thing.

If im hot I can take it off,but if im cold and don't have any thing to put on im in trouble! If your hot cut back on layers,open the zippers ect.I agree they dont breath well but that is also wht makes them so warm! I'll take the learning curve!I was kneeling in 6" of slush and water the other day and my knees were warm and dry!(WOW) is all I can say.I think I could take them out of the washer after the spin cycle put them on and be warm!Danp but warm.

yeah they are HOT! you cant really be active in them....they are for sitting on your back side and doing nothing.

I have yet to have this issue. Yes, they can get very warm when I am active but only because I have over dressed underneath. If it's so cold out that you believe you need more clothing, I would stay away from the cotton clothing underneath and go with better moisture wicking clothing just like any other situation. I have Under Armor wear and other moisture wicking clothing that will help on those really cold days to stay very warm and yet I will not overheat underneath.

While walking, shoveling snow or any activity like that on a warmer day, I will only wear me jeans and a shirt and then my Arctic Armor clothing.

If I were to put alot of heavy clothing on before my AA suit and then go out and work or do something very physical, yes, the moisture will not release through the inner clothing and then it will not have a chance to escape through the outer layer of AA clothing.

I would guess that you are overdressed for what you are doing if you are sweating that much.

You still need to dress accordingly with the different temperatures for each situation.

Obviously everyone's body is different.

Personally I know what you're talking about because I am a very warm person. If I plan on hiking in my AA, I don't wear the coat while I hike. I put it on when I get where I'm going.

I was sweating while snowblowing the driveway when it was -10* last sunday. I was wearing 2 layers underneith and was over dressed.

If I was gonna go deer hunting and had to hike in, I wouldn't even wear the AA till I got to my stand. I've hiked in for a 0degree hunt wearing only my fleece long johns because I would get too warm. I stop about 100yds form my stand and get dressed once I've cooled off a bit, then dress in my AA.

Don't you just love that your biggest complaint about a product is that it does everything it says it will and now you think its working TOO well?

Yes its nice to commment on a product doing its job too well. I am just curious that this hasnt been mentioned before. I dont have the AA coat and only wear a wicking uderwear shirt and a fleece pullover under my AA and an uninsulated gortex coat over that. I hardly think that I am wearing too much under clothing. I dont think that I will go the jean route under the AA as I am sure that then I would be sitting in cold moist cotton clothing. I just find it uncomfortable to sit in moist long under wear all day long. I've been on the ice for a full day and the stuff never dried out. Thats all, I dont want to beat this into the ground. I guess the long and short of it is it probably doesnt breath as well as I had expected!

I mostly wear jeans underneath. If its really cold I'll have a pair of long underwear. T-shirt and a fleece pullover/hoodie under the jacket is plenty.

There have been more than one of us snow blowing in nothing more than our pajamas and AA's!!

im a warm person...when im active i sweat

i wear a mid weight poly pro long underwear top and bottom with light nylon pants and a light fleece top

when i hike out to a lake i dont wear the coat and usally dont put it on till 20-30 min later to allow my body to cool down

if it is a really long hike i dont wear any of my AA

it seems that these suits are for riding a snowmachine and sitting outside in the cold

i love mine...i dont really need a heater in my hub....i might get a very small one just to keep the hole and my line from freezing up.

just be aware of your body temp...if your sweating buckets..stop and take a break....and dont wear cotton if you are a sweater...it does not dry and looses all its heating qualities when wet

thats my 2cents

If you wear a hat, try a lighter one or no hat at all. You shed a lot of heat and moisture from the top of your head.

Try a lighter base layer, or just a single layer of fleece and no second layer of pants or bluejeans.

I wear a single layer of polertech under my Vexilar COLD SNAP II suit, in extreme cold I add a base layer.

My hat is on/off as required to help regulate my internal thermostat in relation to my activity. I seldom sweet up, and never freeze up.

One thing I've learned over the years is that if you're too warm, take something off.

My wife loves the fact that I'm a warm person. Hey, it keeps her warm at night. I'm a mobile guy on the ice and move around a lot. I wear my AA while moving and I'm fine. However, my base layer consists of a pair of sweats or jeans, t-shirt, and sometimes a thin hoodie and that's it. I can also sit in one spot and stay warm.

We're Minnesotans and by nature are used to "Layering up." You almost have to re-train your brain when wearing AA. If you still have to layer up, be ready to take some stuff off. Or, bring along an extra sweatshirt and put it in your portable for the just in case situations.

Quote:
I wear a single layer of polertech under my Vexilar COLD SNAP II suit, in extreme cold I add a base layer.

I got a set of Tek Gear® Colorblock Microfleece jacket and pants yesterday and wore it under my AA last night.

No sweating at all and felt very comfortable. Tek Gear is more of an Athletic apparel warm up suit you would find at a sports store, but I think it is going to work great for under my AA.

I also give credence to what Ed says about your head. I normally will carry two hats with. One nice thicker one to cover my head and ears, with a double back fold for more warmth. Then I will carry a light beanie style cloth/cotton hat for if I get warm/hot and still want to keep my head out of the direct contact with the cold and wind, with a thin covering for my ears.

Also a base ball cap works some times for releasing excess body/head heat.

As noted already, it is very easy to overdress. I started first with 3 layers, and worked my way down to medium weight fleece long johns top and bottom, and another medium weight fleece jacket on top. I would only need the one layer of fleece on top, but I like to take off my jacked for fishing and drilling holes.

I'm still experimenting with what layering works best, but this is what I have found so far. The warmth from AA is different than warmth of other coats. It is not very breathable, so that adds some challenges and makes the base layer that much more important.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

What a wonderful and easy to fix challenge you have.

Don't wait until you are sweating to regulate your temp with the HSO AA. It is waterproof and somehwat breathable, considering it's waterproof when fully zippered up and waist draw strings pulled tight.

So open the zippers or loosen the waist draw string to air out when walking or being active. You'll still feel warm as you want and to cool more just zip down a bit more ot take it off, ensuring you stay dry.

Myself I like to feel a bit cool.

HSO Arctic Armor @ OutdoorProStore.com - It Floats, Warm, Dry and is Light

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Please contact whomever you ordered from and ask them the status of your order. It's been 4 business days since your order on a Saturday.

If you ordered from HSO Arctic Armor @ OutdoorProStore.com it usually ships same or next day.

Yep, I think that is what Rick was referring too. With the Holiday falling in the week, and the order being placed on a Saturday, it has technically only been 4 business days. It will be there very soon my friend!!!! Merry Christmas to you!!!!! You are going to love it.

I got a set of Tek Gear® Colorblock Microfleece jacket and pants yesterday and wore it under my AA last night.

Man I love my AA suit! I got the above under "ware" and used it all day on Sunday and it kept the sweating down to a huge minimum. Even the little I felt (knee's and thighs), would go away with just a little movement. To even feel the sweating, I had to remember it first, then go “Oh ya”.

Very warm in some cold temps outside.

Once you strap your self into an Artic Armor suit, you feel like you could take on the North Pole! wink

Very pleased smile

Outdoor Pro Store! Buy It Now, Click Here!

I am very happy with my arctic armor. I wear a fishnet long undershirt that allows all sweat to escape and one or two thin layers of wool that alow the moisture to enter the insulation in the AA, where it stays pretty much. but it seems to keep all its warmth even when damp, so i have stayed warm and dry even when I sweat while walking out to my fishing spots.

I have yet to fire up my buddy heater this year!