• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Muzzleloaders

harvey lee

I'm in the market for a muzzlerloader. I will only be using it for maybe 3 times every 5 or so years.

Whats a good brand or model to look at? Also, can a person use a scope in North Dakota or is it iron sights only.

Not looking for the most expensize one but one that will work well. Looking for a modern type muzzy.

I have a Thompson Center Triumph and love it. I have had it for two years and killed my first deer muzzleloading this year during slug season. I think they are a middle to upper end muzzleloader(about $400)

I was sold on the TC quality and the ease of operation with the Triumph. I liked the break open breech and how easy it was to clean. I also spent a little more and got the Weatherguard barrel, it made more sense with late year conditions (cold/snow).

I am not sure about scope in ND.

Good Luck

I like the T/C Omega. It's accurate, holds up to 3 50grain pellets (2 will be more than enough on deer to 150 yards), is nice and light, and is durable. I used my Omega to take 5 deer this year, and was only able to recover 1 bullet. All but that 1 were complete pass through shots using 2 50 grain pellets at ranges of 50 to 130 yards. The one I recovered was in a deer that was shot at 130 yards and went through both shoulder blades, the spine and came to rest just beneath the skin on the other side. Also, every time you pull the trigger, the hammer automatically goes to a "half cocked" position so it doesn't strike the fireing pin if the gun gets bumped or dropped. Very nice feature if you ask me.

if I needed another muzzle loader right now, I'd buy that traditions muzzleloader posted in the for sale part of this forum.

I know it has the #11 percussion caps but 209 primer conversions are readily available, inexpensive and easy to install. we have one in .50 calibur and that's what we did.

it works great! my son shot his spike,(first muzzle loader deer) with it this year, at 100 yards, open sights!

101_0718-1.jpg

the only thing I don't like is that it is 54 calibur and the only reason I don't like that is because we have 3 other guns that are .50 cal and I wouldn't want to have to buy seperate ammo for that gun.

for a hundred bucks and the twenty something bucks for the conversion kit, you can't go wrong.

I tell you what, you buy it and don't like it, I'll buy it from you for what you paid for it just because I like guns smile

I own a CVA Optima Pro. It is a 50 cal. I really like it. It has a nice feel with the grip and shoots very nice. I have takin 3 deer with it in the last 2 years. Nice gun for the price. I paid $250.00 for it early last fall but I have heard of guys paying around the $200.00 range this fall. Hope this helps a little. Good luck. I'm not sure about the scope part of your question.

Ipurchased the cva kodiak magnum 50 cal in cammo and nickle barrel,break open breech,easy to clean,i use 150 grains/3 pellets and shoot the new powerbelt bullets they load easy and shoot very well,i pd 300 3 yrs ago i know u can do better now,the scope issue i dont know.

Well I started out the new year with my first muzzleloader. I got a TC Triumph and I am very excited to start shooting. I was wondering if anyone could give me any adivce on what might be a good bullet/powder combination, what other shooting/cleaning accorssories I might need. Also if you have any other general advice or tips that might help out a newbie. Thanks!

I went with the T/C Omega with the SS barrel.

That is a great choice Harvey Lee. I have owned my T/C Omega with the Stainless Steel barrel for 4 years and love it... It's light weight and can take a beating with the hunting season's harsh environment. The way the breach opens up and the ease of cleaning is something that you will appreciate.

You will definitely be pleased with your choice...

you will love the gun my son bought one the second day we went hunting a omega Z5 blue and black he also bought the Nikon omega scope with the bcd option sited it in and the next day he shot his dear at around 200 yards I was so impressed that i bought one to a camo and weather guard but i have not shot mine yet