Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Christopher Quast

What are the exact rules about distance from another fisherman???

135 posts in this topic

I looked and looked and I must have missed it, so I was wondering if anyone could tell me. How close is too close?

The reason I ask is because I had a guy set up about 50 feet from my front door (IF THAT) yesterday on Waconia and then proceeded to drill holes around my house and ends up putting a tip-up about 30 feet behind my truck. Oh the nerve of some people!!!!!!!!! Or should I say the lack of brains LOL!!!!! Next time I am just going to pretend I didnt see his tip-up and run the dam thing over when I leave.

No person may erect a dark house, fish house, or shelter within

10 feet of an existing dark house, fish house, or shelter.

That is from page 58 of the minnesota fishing regulations on the DNR web site. Personally, I think that is way to close. I try not to setup of within a hundred feet of other houses if i can help it.

No person may erect a dark house, fish house, or shelter within

10 feet of an existing dark house, fish house, or shelter.

I try not to be within a 100 feet myself either.

10 feet Well they might as well sit on my lap then and fish two poles down the same hole!!!!!! Thanks to our good OLE DNR again. What a dam joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

could have no restrictions

[Note from Admin: Please read forum policy before posting again]

i feel bad if i set up 50 yards from someone....40-50 yards should be as close as you should ever get...there's a whole lake to fish.

True that, but dont you feel like ten feet is a little close, we might as all have big WELCOME signs on our houses stating open to the public. Oh well probably just have to move again

50 feet.

That's about the length of:

Mobile Homes.

10 feet longer than most Houses.

2 1/2 lengths of most 2 car Garages.

So, putting that into perspective....., was it really 50 feet? Or a lot less....??? I don't like it a lot less either.

10 feet is way too close.

I think 10 feet is way too close too, but the reason its there is because at some point I'm sure someone decided that there should be a limit, but without knowing what that should be they made it ten feet.

When there is no one else around I think its terribly rude to fish within 20-30' of someone. 50 feet doesn't sound all that close, but I know it seems that way when there is a whole lake to use. He obviously wanted to fish the same piece of structure you were. I can't blame him for that.

Think about some of the reefs and rock piles around. If people were limited to 50yds (150 feet) then you would only get one house on a piece of structure.

Think of the little ice shanty towns out there. Some of those houses aren't more than 30feet away.

I think 10 feet is too close, but I think 50 is reasonable.

Also anyone who would run over another persons tipup is more of a bad person than the crowding person. Say hi to the guy and ask him to move. Be polite. There is nothing positive to be gained by destroying another persons stuff. Besides, its against the law and if he gets your license plate you'll have bigger problems than a close fisherman.

Isn't this kinda like putting a stand up on public property and then thinking the area is yours?

There are those with ownership thoughts and there are those who use public waters.

I agree there's a whole lake,but it is public.Its one of the reasons I gave up ice fishin with a perm shack,gettin elbowed out! But how can ya complain there are those who were never taught,those who never care,there are also no distance rules to follow.

Ya ten feet is a little close for another house. Myself and a couple buddies set three perm houses in a v pattern a couple years back on an area lake only to come out one evening and come to find out someone put up a portable house right inside our little group. I try not to let the actions of other fisherman bother me to much cause life is way to short to get stressed out while im fishin.

Powerstroke makes a good point about the community spots. I dont think it would be right to have a guy set up a permanant and have a point or reef to himself. After all the lakes and rivers are for everyone to use.

10 feet is to close. But if your fishing a point or reef 30 ft is reasonable. As far as drilling all around you for tip ups I dont think that is quit right. Its almost as bad as those guys using there ice house as a base for snowmobiling in a community area.

I agree you don't want to start destroying the guys equipment over a thing like this. I also think it's way to close no matter what kind of structure it is. People have to understand that sometimes you just have to fish somewhere else.

I would definately say something to the guy if it were my ice shack. It might not get him to move, but maybe he'll think better of it the next time. Who knows, maybe it just didn't dawn on the guy that he was so close.

Afterall, We all have our own ideas about what is and what isn't ethical, when it comes to fishing. Maybe that

wasn't to close in his eyes, although the tip ups around the shack goes way over the edge in my book.

It's just like the guy that drives his boat right next to yours on open water and then he waves, like nothing is wrong with that. Some guys just don't get it.

Happy Holidays!

"Ace" smile

Ace guide service.

Man I hope those guys knew eachother. If not thats way way to close and just inconsiderate.

I don't really care how close someone fishes to me, but I don't want them to be noisy. If I'm in my shelter, I can't really see them anyhow, so as long as they're quiet, I don't care.

It all depends on the situation. If you were smack in the middle of a fish house town... then you're just being a cranky one.

If nobody was anywhere near ya and someone plopped up.. okay annoying I understand.

Like it was said above... to honestly destroy and make someone elses fishing trip go to [PoorWordUsage]... then you're far worse than him.

Grow some cubes and talk to the guy... chances are he doesn't know any better.

I don't really care how close someone fishes to me, but I don't want them to be noisy. If I'm in my shelter, I can't really see them anyhow, so as long as they're quiet, I don't care.

c'mon now! You know you like to hear the music going from dr dre to slipknot every few minutes with drunken laughter in the background!!

sarcasm off

Agreed!

Is the rule there to keep people you don't know away or there to keep buddies from putting a house right next to each other? I think it's there for the second issue. They don't want buddies stacking thier houses on top of each other for noise and safety issues. I could be wrong. Either way 10 feet is way too close. you must have been right on his GPS waypoint. lol

Man I hope those guys knew eachother. If not thats way way to close and just inconsiderate.

The one on the left is mine the other guy I talked to a couple times last yr.I would not say we are friends.

The funny thing is there is NO structure under me. Its just a channel the panfish use and its the same for 200 yds either way. Mine was the only hardside out there.