• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Insane on the Chain - An FM/HSO Get-Together!

Chasing crappies, bluegills and perch on the German/Jefferson chain of lakes on Saturday, January 17, 2009 is next on the list of monthly GTG's here in South Central MN. This event is free for all to attend and certain to be a good time. It's simply a bunch of people getting together to laugh and learn. We'll meet by 9:00 am at Reel Fishing Outfitters in Madison Lake, MN. We'll depart as a group from the store by 9:30 am and head to the public landing on East Jefferson. If you need directions to Reel Fishing Outfitters or the public landing on East Jefferson, don't be afraid to ask. Dependent on ice conditions and snow depth, which will be verified as we get closer to January 17, travel may be limited to ATV's or snowmobiles. We'll see. Meals will be on a "on your own" basis but I know some are planning to bring goodies and you are certainly welcome to do the same. Chime in here. After the sun goes down and we've had enough, we'll head to a to be determined location for pizza and drink.

In addition to the fishing and socializing, there will also be an opportunity to take a look at multiple flashers available in today's market of ice fishing. Many times a person struggles with which one to purchase based on their particular needs. We hope to clear the air for you!

Please respond to this post if you (and others accompanying you) plan to attend. Thank you!

This is sure to be a great event, I have had some great days on both of these lakes in the past years for some very nice crappies and bluegills as well as the occasional rogue walleye or northern that happens thourgh. The best part of these lakes in the past has been sight fishing in 9-10' for crappies and bluegills with plastics.

Hopefully the weather holds out better for this GTG!

i think some of the "vip" people should get invited to tappers cabin for food and drinks after the gtg???? it's up to tapper i guess though. hopefully the weather will hold off this time!

nick, please no pre fishing is neccisary from you lol thanks! ha ha ha

Flashers? That is one of the things we talked about at the last GTG. I'll be there if only for that. You can never know to much. I use my flasher all summer long and There is nothing better for trolling shallow water dropoffs. I can't stand it when my Graph starts to pickup the second rebound from the bottom of the boat and gos wack and starts to read 200 FOW or so in 5 FOW. A flasher well never do that.

I may even drag my house out for a workout. smirk

TO and I discussed how the question of which flasher is best always comes up and people mostly answer on what they have because all of them work and help you to catch fish. We just thought it would be nice to get some side by side comparisons so people could get more educated on what is out there and what suits their needs the best.

I should be around unless we have another snow storm like the last one, I'll be posting reports prior to the GTG as I should be able to get some pattern put together by then. Or at least be able to find some time to get out there.

I can setup a grill on the ice if anyone wants to bring food, I'll also have a coleman stove in the perm out there somewhere if needed. Or we could do a chili feed and fish fry, I could bring the fryer out as well. I might have to pull the perm to the deadspot for the weekend though in case anybody brings the gps lol wink

Oh great, well if you guys are going to be doing a flasher comparison then I think we'll need to at least get into a little deeper water with shallow water and weeds fairly close to see all the functions of the different flashers, probably near or close to a bottem transition area to check those features out and then to top it off we'll need to have fish below the ice as well, seems like a simple enough equation and do I have a great location if you don't mind catching perch as an example. no size guaranteed on the perch, This area would be on Big Jeff that goes from weeds in 5-10 fow to sand in 15-20 fow to mud in 20-30 fow. and all within about 30 yards of each other. There will be a group of houses out there but that won't matter to us, maybe we can recruit a few newbies with the demo. I'll have some sort of map or details with coordinates or directions at RFO that morning, this will also be the location that we can serve up some some of riverrats chili and see what's been working and what hasn't been working, kinda of a little break maybe midday from the fishing to hopefully learn something and shoot the [PoorWordUsage]. I can't wait for this one. I've always wanted to see the different units side by side out in the real world.

i think some of the "vip" people should get invited to tappers cabin for food and drinks after the gtg???? it's up to tapper i guess though.

I don't think I will be entertaining anyone after the GTG. I do like the idea of going out for pizza after!

lets not get our hopes up too much everyone! just my thoughts. if we all get excited about this and it snows or something in that nature bigeye will be up in the metro running into snow banks! if you figure nothing will happen and then nothing happens you are not " depressed" or feelin low . just keep that in mind.

other words , i am all for perch! i think they are the best tasting fish around! bigeye we will be in touch later about this set up !