• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Welcoming Me into the YAK family. ???'s

We are getting a kayak for X-mas but I have a few questions about licensing.

1. Does a Kayak need to be a licensed watercraft in MN and/or WI?

2. What do I need to obtain licensing? Make/model serial number?

I need to renew my Driver's license in January and my Crestliner is due this year so I'd like to do it all in one shot

Yes, the kayak will need to be registered in MN. Wisconsin does not require a non-motorized craft to be registered. If by chance the kayak is used ONLY for duck hunting, then it does not have to be registered in MN. I have never understood the rationale for requiring registration of a canoe or kayak that never has a motor, beyond the obvious reason of another way to tax us.

I think when I registered my kayak and canoe I brought the sales receipt to prove I had already paid taxes on it and the model and make of the boat.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/licenses/watercraft/index.html

This is the page of the DNR site that explains it all. If your boat is over 16ft, the dealer should apply for the license for you. Cost will be $24 for a 3yr tag. You have to register at a licensing center like where you get your car tabs if you need to get them yourself.

Other than going to the DMV, its fairly painless. I have 2 canoes and go every third year. They send a card in the mail to remind you.