Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Lights

Line size and type for icefishing eye's

I use gamma esp or p-line flourice on most of my reels. I have a few reels spooled up with fireline crystal but I don't use them that often, mostly in dark water or with a flouro leader. I'm usually using 4, 5, or 6 lb line for walleyes through the ice.

one w/4# crystal fireline (jigging),

one w/4# smoke fireline (jigging),

one w/4# copolymar (dead stick),

one w/4# smoke fireline (dead stick),

one w/2# seagar (jigging),

one w/2# copolymar (dead stick),

and

one broomhandle w/10# smoke fireline.

those are my everytrip set-ups neatly stored in two rod bags with easy access.

regards,

minnesotatuff

ps, also have an extra reel w/2# crystal fireline.

All I've ever used is 4lb berkley micro ice. It works great for all applications. The only time I've had an eye break off is when I've tried horsing them in. If you try horsing an eye in on 6 or 8lb you will still have breaks. Just don't get to excited! grin

For any stained lakes use 8lb fireline.

For clear lakes use 6lb quality mono and change often.

I think that the reel is the most important part of any ice fishing setup. I use the smallest plugar president on all of my ice rods and then take that reel off and use it for spare rods on the boat in the summer.

I also think that fireline has saved me more lures to offset the price alone plus its good for atleast 2 seasons.

The disadvantage of fireline is that you have noooo strech around the hole for fighting fish this is where the reel-drag is soo important.

Rember walleyes have teeth and can be 10 plus pounds don't use pan fish gear. stay away from 4lb line!!!

I've used the 4lb fireline crystal micro ice this year for the first time and have been really impressed--but I haven't reeled up any walleyes over 20" with it so the only real test has been a 24" pike, I re-tied after noticing some pretty hefty "scuff/gouge" marks close to the jig after that one and it has still worked well since on the smaller 14-16" eyes. I like it's multi-purpose as the sunnies, crappies and perch are also easily felt with this line.

I fish very clear water and for that I like to use p-line floroice. 6# for jigging and 4# for my setline. For larger spoons and swimming jigs I use powerpro with a vanish leader.

Joe