• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Battery Tender

1lkstage

I got the little battery tender when I bought my atv this fall. After reading all these battery problems and questions, Doesn't anybody use them, or is it that new of a product that nobody knows of them? Anything bad that I'm missing? For me, I thought it was a no brainer, keep it plugged in all the time, charged and ready to go.

Does anyone know if you could jump start something with the clip connectors that come with the kit?

Lonnie

With the climate that we've had so far this year, a battery tender should be a must have to help maintain the batteries. This cold weather wreaks havoc on batteries, thus the number of battery related issues we are seeing in the forums.

You wiil never jump start anything with a battery tender since they are such low amps, usually 1-2 amps. I just bought one, but everytime after I plow I hook it up, but the tender says the battery is fully charged everytime.

where do you mount them? I had my sister pick one up and will get it on xmas. I know they hook right up to the battery, but there's a little "box" that is there too, where is a good place for that on a cat??

Depends on which one you get. I have seen ones that can connect four machines at once.

The simple one I have is just a big plug in with wires. The wires attach to either gator clips or grommets that mount right on the battery.

I know the Tender itself won't. I'll rephrase it. I used the quick plug, connected to the battery to the outside of the machine so the Tender plugs in quick. Also in the kit,unused, is the clips with the quick plug on the other end. So I was wondering if that would work as a jumper cable to something else, as it would be comming directly off the battery on the ATV. The cord just seems to be alittle lite to jump start something as it would be pulling alot of draw through it?

Lonnie

I bought a shumacher (sp) tender and it came with 2 different leads that connect to the main charging cables via a 2 wire flat connector. (like flat 4 trailer light connector only 2) one of the leads are the aligator clips the other has just the metal rings that go on battery posts. I hooked the one for the battery up on my battery, and the flat connector coiled in a safe area easy to hook up with the seat off, no need to get at the battery. Just hook up the flat 2 wire connector, and plug in the charger.