• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My new best friend, and a bogus adventure

Eric Wettschreck

My all time new best friend is my Big Dipper. What a versatile tool. Guys and gals, it does a whole lot more than just scoop ice from a hole. It also works quite well as a shovel for when you (this time me) are stupid enough to say to yourself, " I can make it through this." The handle also works quite well as an ice pick/battering ram to get the globs of snow and slush that are frozen into the undercarriage of your wheeler out of the undercarriage of your wheeler.

I made it out, but I was wondering if was going to have to make a phone call to my buddy Bob to come tow me.

2008_1224_162128.jpg

I've always thought you should learn something everytime you are out. The things I learned this afternoon are;

1. Just because you plowed the landing before the blizzard doesn't mean it's drivable anymore.

2. As much as getting stuck going down the landing sucks, the suck factor increases exponentially going back up.

3. When digging out your stuck wheeler, and jerking around your stuck wheeler, and pushing and pulling your stuck wheeler, TAKE OFF YOUR ARCTIC ARMOR JACKET. In the end, you'll be glad you did.

4. When your fishing partner says, "I can't go fishing tonight." Go to his house, kidnap him, and make him go fishing. Just in case you need help getting unstuck.

The upside to this afternoons adventure is I did manage to ice a few small perch and through all the banging around, my beer didn't get all that foamy!!!!

Was just thinking about making a post about the Big & Little Dippers today. I'm not the 1st guy to say "Why didn't I think of that". Best darn ice/slush scoop around. If you ice fish, you have to have one, simple as that.

Anyway, that photo is awesome. Helps ease the pain in my legs from our 2 mile round trip walk through 18" deep snow to the super top secret panfish lake that ended up being a bust today. You win some, you lose some.

I hear ya Chris. After the adventure of getting un-stuck, I tied a rope to the Otter Cabin and drug it about a quarter mile. That's when my legs told me to stop on my own or they will just stop for me.

When I'm out hunting I have no problem trudging miles through swamps and neck high ninja grass, but deep snow will do a guy in.

For the record, yes......that's a boat landing in the picture. The prairie winds can really whip up some nasty drifts around here.

As stated, ya win some ya lose some. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, and sometimes it rains. But, you don't get a chance to win if you don't play the game.

Today was one of the days I wish I hadn't sold my snowmobiles. grin

I sat in the isle at the store debating about the big dipper, or the frabill plastic handle. I too am pleased I went with the big dipper. I havent found anything I dont like about it, and I can pretty much criticize anything. I have actually found myself going to kneel down to scoop the ice out, but remember that I have the big dipper and dont have to.