• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Computer Warning from the Security Center

Shwangman

Question

Not sure if anyone can help but I thought I would give it a shot. About a week ago I got this warning from the Security center, I assume form the control panel on my computer stating that my firewall wall has block this worm virus, WIN32, NetSky.q so the options are to down load this program which turns out to be noting because the warning keeps coming back about every 5-10 min or order a 1 year protection pan and I was wondering if anyone ever ran into this? I have been just clicking on the X and goes away but, I would like to get rid of it all together. I could have a tech look it over but, its a 4 year old emachine that was worth, around $300.00, hardly worth it. Any ideas would be super.

Thanks

Ken

13 answers to this question

It is spyware/trojan/virus and a nasty one ------they have really stepped up their game lately---try Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware---it worked for me. It is free and highly recommended.

Virus for sure. You can try AVG anti virus. It's free and a really good program. If nothing else you can reimage the machine if you have the disks that came with it, just back your system up first. I don't mess around to long before I redo my system. Just quicker for me.

Virus for sure. You can try AVG anti virus. It's free and a really good program. If nothing else you can reimage the machine if you have the disks that came with it, just back your system up first. I don't mess around to long before I redo my system. Just quicker for me.

I second this advice. I also run HijackThis, Adaware, and Spybot regularly to clear threats and keep everything running smoothly. You have a Netsky virus, if you are still able to use the computer it should be fairly easy to get rid of.

You can also clean it best you can and then try creating a new profile, that has worked for me in the past. If you have a pretty simple setup, not too much extra stuff on your PC a fresh install would be the best. Just depends on how long it would take to get things back up and running as to how much time spend fixing the Malware.

Ok, went and goggled all these sites and when I do, Fire Fox won't connect but it will for any other site like this site, Craigs list, etc. Plus, last night when I was able to google it, using Fire Fox, it would take me to a listing and says free but then it talks about contract for a year. I'm not the smartest in terms of computers but I thought all I would have to do is go www. AVG.com and it would tell me to download this or any of the other sites but I was wrong.

I had AVG and now have avast because it has a smaller foot print on your software. The problem I am having is that I still have viruses showing up every 5 min or so. I have brought it in twice in last two weeks to have the viruses cleared off and they said it was good to go. Do you guys think that if I bought a virsu protection that it would remove the viruses I do have. I also have the Security Center alert but I don't have the back up cd for the software.

You really need an Anti Virus package if you are on the web!!! Surfing unprotected is not a good idea at all. AVG is free, just make sure you select the free option. And yes it can remove most if not all viruses already on your PC. Some Malware stuff it a bit more difficult and there is a difference. You can also try creating a new profile in XP as some malware only mucks up the current profile.