• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Handgun Question

jhol

Unless your very into tactical training in a high stress situation all planning goes out the window very quickly.

One very important overlooked tool all home defense plans should have is a high quality flashlight that can be turned on easily with a high lumen for blinding and eliminating a personal silhouette. This is where to many tactical nuts get themselves in a jam. Trying to put the cool looking light on the bottom rail in a stress situation is a way to get hurt. A rail lighting system also pinpoints the source as a target, the offset light gives an attacker a seperate point of aim then you or your weapon.

Furthermore having a phone nearby is extremely and being vocal while 911 is listening when telling whoever is there that your armed and that LEO's have been called.

Some argue about this tactic however remember your in defense mode not hunting down a suspect. The only time IMO to go into hunt mode is clearing the way to your family and reestablishing a defensive posture.

Back to weapons, some thing to consider when carrying concealed is how you will carry. That then brings into play weight, size, accessibility, and mechanics of the weapon. Do not get caught up in the caliber and brand hype. And finally research your loads.

I personally would not carry reloads in a personal protection weapon for the simple reason of trying to explain my reasoning to a jury. Shoot the weapon and see what load it prefers.

I would honestly recommend locating a certified instructor for some one on one talk before commiting to your plan. Once your more informed then you'll be ahead of the learning curve.

Good luck, be safe, have fun.

good advice big drift. I agree with having a flashlight handy as well as a phone. Both my wife and I keep our phones by the bed, and if someone breaks in, the we are both on the phone calling. Then, if it goes to trial, there's two calls coming in for the same thing. It kinda takes out the "he said, she said" portion.

No, you cannot purchase a handgun in MN without a "permit to purchase." The P2P is available at your local law enforcement agency, and there is a form that you will have to fill out. There will be a week or so long wait to receive your P2P, and from there you can purchase a handgun (or handguns) for up to 1 year (or is it 2?) from the date of issue in MN.

Well, untrue.

I was at an Auction and they were auctioning off handguns. All that happened when someone won the auction was a person signed a sheet of paper that they did not have a felony.

As for anybody that has done the conceal to carry did you like the class and the info, and how much do you really carry your weapon???

A common misconception, the Minnesota Permit to Carry has no requirement for concealment. You can legally open carry. Now if that's a good idea or not is another topic. I have carried openly a few times and most people are oblivious to it and the few that do notice probably think you're a plain clothes cop. On the other hand, some how have open carried have been strong-armed and have had guns pointed at them by LEO's who are ignorant of the laws they are supposed to uphold. I mostly carry concealed.

I took my class about a year ago with Andrew Rothman and I think he's a great instructor. He's very involved in 2nd Amendment issues at the state level and knows the laws pertaining to carrying VERY well. I highly recommend him if you're looking for someone in the metro area. If you google his name and the name of his HSOforum, mngun, you'll find the info. I think he has a class this weekend.

As for how much I carry...when I signed up for the class, I didn't think I'd carry all that much, but now I carry just about every where I can. If I scan the headlines of the Strib, I can find reasons to carry just about every other day.

As for handgun selection, I have a S&M M&P in .40 that I love. It was by far the most comfortable handgun I picked up and is a natural pointer for me. What really helped were the interchangeable back strap on the grip which allowed me a better grip with my large hands. When I picked up a Glock after the M&P, the Glock felt about as ergonomic as a 2x4. The M&P has also been rock solid for reliability for me. BUT, everyone is different and I would not claim that what works for me would work for you.