Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bigslugger

Too Big of Portable

21 posts in this topic

Im the typical solo angler but fishing out of a Otter Lodge which is way to big for just me

What would be the best portable for a 20lb propane tank, seat, a cooler and a 5 gallon bucket

Any ideas would be appreciated

I've got an Otter Den. A little tight for 2 people but it works, and is nice for one guy. Would fit the items you list above.

I've got an Otter Den. A little tight for 2 people but it works, and is nice for one guy. Would fit the items you list above.

What is that equivalent to for the '09 line up?

I have three Otter Cabins. They offer you the maximum amount of room yet one guy can still load and unload it quite easily. I have a short box Chevy and there's still plenty of room for your other gear. I agree the Lodge is a little big for my taste as well.

The Cottage is a bit smaller than the Cabin but would be a good fit for you as well.

Now I wonder if someone would like to trade their Otter Cabin for my Otter Lodge with a seat cover and tow hitch?

Now I wonder if someone would like to trade their Otter Cabin for my Otter Lodge with a seat cover and tow hitch?

I have an otter Den from last year, and recently purchased an ATV. I may be interested in something, let me know.

Originally Posted By: Bigslugger

I have an otter Den from last year, and recently purchased an ATV. I may be interested in something, let me know.

Yeah that would be great. Send me a email at bigslugger@tds.net

I would go with the Otter Cabin. Roomy 1 man but you can fish 2 in it as well. With a 20# tank and 2 holes and graph you still have plenty of room to move around in it. The den may be a bit tight but doable if you will never fish 2 out of it.

The Arctic Blue or Ice Camo are the same house just different colors.

I just sold my last years cabin and loved it. Retains heat real well and wont let wind through the 900 denier fabric.

The den may be a bit tight but doable if you will never fish 2 out of it.

Huh? I fish with 2 people in my den regularly. And it weighs 30 lbs less than the Cabin.

They're practically the same size, except the Cabin uses the Ultra Wide sled, which adds a lot to the weight, but not really the size.

The Den is on the small sled (26" wide), and the cabin is on the small extra wide (32" wide).

I also fish myself and anther person in the house, its not as roomy as the lodge, but itll work.

frabill xl for me it gets a little to big, but its all I have and like the ability to actually fish three guys also. hope you find a house that fits your needs I wish I had a smaller house some days too but the lack of funds is stoppin me...

Ok

What are the dimensions on the den?

And the dimensions on the cabin?

The Otter HSOforum has all the dimentions and weights.

frabill xl for me it gets a little to big, but its all I have and like the ability to actually fish three guys also. hope you find a house that fits your needs I wish I had a smaller house some days too but the lack of funds is stoppin me...

funds and the wife, she would be wondering how the heck I am going to fish out of two shelters at once.

"But honey, one is for early ice." might not go over as smooth as I would hope.

I have a new Cottage in camo and carry everything you had listed plus a big rod bag,FL-18,camera,and fish with my 11 year old granddaughter to boot.

Got to agree with the cabin choice. I also have a lodge resort, and got a cabin for the reduction in weight. I fish it with the wife all the time and there is plenty of room for both of us and all the gear I take. Never feel crowded, even when I take a male buddy out fishing.

Harry

Sorry about my earleir post. I typed Den but was thinking Cottage. The Cottage is the 1 man house on the small ultrawide sled now. The Cabin is on a medium sled.

No 2 people in the Cottage unless you buy a extra seat and really really like the other person.

I still think the Cabin is the best bet if you will ever have 2 people in it. The cottage would weigh in at 70 lbs or the Cabin 95 pounds.

By the way the houses now available from Otter are the Cottage, Cabin, Lodge and Resort.

Or you also have the Wild Series available in the Wild 1, Wild 2 or Wild 3 sizes.

All can be seen on www.otter.com

Good luck with wich ever house you choose.

It got me thinking how that was possible in a Cottage

Now it makes sense

Thank you everyone for all your input

Hopefully soon I will be able to downsize.. as $ permits

More free advice/opinion for you...

I really think the cottage is all you need if you are fishing as a solo most of the time. Particularly if you are ever walking and dragging your house any distance. The weight allows 1 guy to lift it into the back of a truck (or a car trunk if the seats fold forward). Even with gear in it. I have had one of these (formerly called the small den, but same house as the cottage) for 6 or 7 years. I have often fished 2 dudes out of it. Yes, it is tight with two guys, but a fold up chair or 2 buckets fit ok in the bottom. I am 6 ft 2 and my fishing buddy is 6 ft 3. I have been completely satisfied with the cottage, for my use. Just another opinion for you.