• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cherry beers

Yeah, I remember working at a liquor store and they'd have cases of berry weiss on sale for like $7 or $8 just because nobody wanted the stuff. Way too sweet for me.

Lindemans has a belgian beer out that's a Kriek, cherry flavor. It's pretty good. It's a lambic. Kind of between a beer and champagne. But it'll run you about $10 for a 750 ml bottle.

Here is my favorite way to drink Cherry Wheat Beer:

Fill pint glass 1/2 way with Cherry Wheat.

Fill the rest of the glass with a dark Oatmeal Stout.

Voila, dark smokey chocolate cherry beer thats not too sweet.

You can try a few different stouts, I found "Goose Island" & "Rhodes Scholar" to work great.

Hope you like it.

-Ben

I like almost all the wheat beers I've tried. Cherry Wheat no exception, though it's not the best wheat beer I've had. You guys who want to get rid of the Cherry Wheat in the Sam Adams sample pack look me up. I'll trade you a Busch Light for a Cherry Wheat even up all day long.

S.A.'s cherry is the only one out of three I've tried that I like.

If I had to choose a single brewer in America, I'd say blow them all up except for Samuel Adams. I've never met an S.A. brew I didn't like, though I've watched in amusement as a couple lightweights puked up some Scotch Ale. gringrin

In fact, I'm thinking that opening for lake trout tomorrow when it's -40 or colder will call for some real beer at the end of the day. Sam Adams here I come! grin

Have you had any beers from The South Shore Brewry(from Ashland, in your old home state grin). They have them at Mike's. I drink the Honey Pilsner and the Nut Brown Ale. They are both good.

I can't believe an old 'sconnie boy would sacrifice Lienie's brewery for SA laughgrin

It's a good idea when you get those sampler packs via Sam Adams, or Leinie's to save the cherry beer for a friend that keeps trying to bum a beer off you. You might eventually get them to stop.

I tried that with my father-in-law. He drank all of them, complained about each one, but kept grabbing more. He was hoping they'd get better after 3 or 4. He said they didn't. Last time he visited, he brought his own beer. Mission accomplished!

I'll have to try mixing the cherry with a stout of some sort. Another good mixture is 1/2 Leine's Sunset Wheat, 1/2 Red Lager. I don't like either one of them on their own, but mix them together and it becomes one of my favorites.

Isn't there a "Man Law" against putting fruit in beer? crylaugh
Yes there is a man law against this, but it is a rather minor infraction and is often overlooked to avoid men breaking a much more serious man law. Man shall never drink from the dreaded wine cooler.

The New Glarus cherry beers are very good. They brewed an 'unplugged' cherry stout last year that was amazing. You MN guys will have to travel to the dark side to pick up any of the New Glarus beers, only sold here so they could keep up with the local demand.

Bell's brewery in MI also makes a cherry stout that isn't quite as good as NG but very drinkable. I know Zipp's in Minneapolis has it their cooler.

As far as the Linies or Sam Adams fruit beers taste more like a wine cooler than a beer. Cherry beer is suppose to be tart not sweet. The amount of cherries needed per bottle pushes the store price to about $15/six pack.

It's no trouble at all to go back to my home state (LaCrosse native) to try out beers I haven't had before. While wheat beers tend to be sweetish (Sam Adams Cherry Wheat no exception), I like 'em best with a little more zing. A cherry stout sounds like just the ticket. smile

Casey, I like the South Shore Brewery beers quite a lot.

I really like the wheat beers, and I am a fan of the Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. However, as far as fruited beers go, my favorite is Henry Weinhard's Blackberry Wheat. I haven't ever found it around here...Denver is the closest I have come across it.