Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

    You know what we all love...

    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Fillet

Transducer Problems.....FL 18

Recommended Posts

Is there a sure way to tell if a transducer is going bad? I have the dual ducer for the 18(either from the first or second year the 18's came out). The signal from the 9 degree is weaker than the 19 degree. Shouldn't it be the other way around? I also think the 19 is running weak. I have been fishing less than 10 feet with spoons and genz bugs and have to have the gain set to the highest on the lp mode or about 1/3 on the normal mode. This doesn't seem right to me. What do you think? Bad transducer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

when fishing in LP mode its going to need a little stronger gain response. I have the same unit and it does the same thing I think the LP setting is so the bounce you get from the bottom is not to fast and does not read every piece of floaty stuuf found in shallow water... I see there is no problem with having to turn the gain up when in LP. as long as its performing wel in the normal setting hope you understand what im tryin to explain...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I completely understand. But should 7ft of water on normal power need 1/3 to 1/5 the gain for a 1/4 ounce spoon with a full minnow? I had it in 25 ft a couple of weeks ago and with the 19 degree on normal power, i needed over 3/4 of the gain to barely read my spoon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the only way to tell if the transducer is the problem is to switch it with a known good one. Try to find someone who has a newer FL-18 and switch them out to see if it makes a differnce.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm with Cecil,make sure the battery is holding a good 12+ volts and the use a known good transducer.Look on Vexilars site,at troubles,you should find it explained.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your ducer may not be hanging straight. May want to go the Vex HSOforum and look at the instructions for the dual beam. It gives you tips on how to check this and fix if it is a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

    • I shoot 2 steel all season long in an improved cyclinder choke . Satisfied with that. Have a buddy who shoots Black Cloud 3's with impressive results.
    • I stopped at Lowes yesterday and got restocked at 9.88 per 18.6 lb double pack. No limit indicated.  
    • I will have to find some more, cause we ate all of them! They were all connected on the bottom as they are supposed to be. I haven't seen a half-free or a Verpa yet this year and I have only seen a couple of Devil's urn's. The popple fuzz was covering everything this morning so they were a little difficult for me to see. Hopefully we get a shot of water with the lightning over night.
    • Good job!  I have never found any Blacks so they look a little different.  Can you take a picture of what they look like cut in half? They look a little scary like False Morel's 
    • I picked for about 2 hours this morning. I'm not exactly haw many I got but its enough for a couple meals. I'm going to chop some of these up and mix with some cream cheese, feta cheese and garlic chives and then stuff some chicken breasts and cook them on the grill. The little bit of rain that we got last week helped the shrooms pop but it really didn't do much else for the woods besides help the mosquito's hatch. There were so many they licked the bug spray off first then swarmed. I found the mushrooms all over, North, South, East and West facing hills. Normally spot 1 has the best results but this trip it was my second spot. All of them had pretty good size too. Only a few that were in direct sunlight were dried up otherwise they are very firm. Spot 1 is the left container. Don't worry, I use a mesh bag while I'm out in the woods!
    • Yup.... 6 & 4 for Lead.... 4 & 2 for steel
    • I ended up framing my house, putting on the T&G , and then spray foaming back against the interior, which may be why I am not seeing any movement... I also used pine vs cedar
    • I agree with the guy who agreed with the other guy.
    • Just wait till they come up with the remote submarine drone with 3d high resolution camera that can see through algae and milfoil and transmit to your eyewear in 3d.   I struggle with properly tying a berkley knot......
    • I agree with rundrave. #4 early and #2 shot later in year