Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jigeye

Marcum LX-3 softpack modification

18 posts in this topic

I use my LX-3 in my Clam 5600 where it is always sitting right to the left of my hole. The problem is that the swinging arm that the transducer cord runs through cannot swing over far enough to the center of the hole. I hate to cut a slot in the side of the softpack but don't see any other option. Right now I just took it out of the softpack all together but would prefer to keep it protected. Any suggestions?

I don't follow. I have the LX-3 and removed the arm and just let the cable run down into the hole touching the side of the hole. I know it works best if it's hanging freely and not touching but I don't have any problems with the way I am using it. Otherwise, pick up a Vex float.

I believe you can unscrew the arm and mount it on ether the left or right side of the case.

I believe you can unscrew the arm and mount it on ether the left or right side of the case.

I know you can on the LX-5, so if the LX-3 is the same you should be able to.

Im pretty sure I did that on my old LX-3 and I know I can do it on my LX-5. I believe the casing is basically the same on the 2.

I have the arm mounted on the right side but it cannot swing backwards far enough like I want it to. In other words I want the arm to come out the side more in the middle of the unit. I can't move the unit back far enough since it hits the wall of the house. I can just let it hang over the side I suppose or leave the unit out of the softpack.

Even if you loosen the velcro you cant get it far enough? I guess the only option then would be to not use the arm.

How about you get another section of the arm from Marcum? I just looked at my LX-3. I think that would be doable.

Or if you wanna be cheap, wrap a coat hanger around the swing arm, make a hook in the other end and drop it down in the loop wherever you want......!

I have the LX-3 and removed the arm and just let the cable run down into the hole touching the side of the hole. I know it works best if it's hanging freely and not touching but I don't have any problems with the way I am using it.

One word of caution... With the cold weather we're experiencing this winter (just saw -17 this morning), an ice hole will freeze up very quickly. The sides start to build ice reducing the diameter of the hole. Guess what happens if you have your transducer cord hanging down the side of the hole?? Yep, it freezes in. Sometimes you don't have to be sitting in a spot very long either for this to happen.

For this fact alone, I would suggest not just hanging your transducer over the side. Use the float or use the arm.

I have decided to cut a small slit in the canvas and stick the arm out the side. I'll unbolt the arm then slip it through the slit and bolt it up again. The arm will stick out a little but at least the unit is protected again. Thanks for all your input.

Jigeye

I would not cut the softpack.

If you're in a house, freezing to the side of the hole shouldn't be a concern. So the first thing I would do is not use the arm. Maybe even get a (gasp) vexilar float for your transducer.

If you don't like that idea, the next thing I would try is to make an extension for the transducer arm. It shouldn't be too hard to "macgyver" something that will extend the arm back where you want it.

Either way, I would try some other things before I cut the case.

Good luck getting it worked out.

Does anyone know if a Vex float fits inside the soft pack of the Marcum (where you store the transducer)? I almost bought one the other day beacuse I like that better than the arm. Thanks.

I might try and make a float before I cut the canvas cover. It might be a tight fit inside the softpak but I think it might fit. All I need is some round tubular shaped foam then make a cut down the length to the center. Has anyone else made thier own float like the Vex's?

I dont think a float will fit. You can always take the float off each time I guess. Its just a slit that you put the cord through.

I just looked at my LX-5 case, and it would be pretty tight to fit one of the floats in there.

Solution, leave extra ducer cord out with float attached and stick the float in a side pounch.

I have been using a Vex float on my LX-3 since pretty much the day I bought the unit. I dont care for the arm and the float works just fine. You might have to slightly trim the float but yes, it will fit in the LX-3 pack. See pics. Good luck

Cliffy

LX-3003.jpg

LX-3002.jpg