• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Blower Control "Issue" in GMC Sierra

Airjer will get a kick out of this as I've let my Blower Motor Resistor repair go without getting fixed for TOO LONG! After having no fan for too long, its officially in as of about 1/2 hour ago.

Makes a guy wonder why GM is frickin' sinking like a ship when you look at the ingenuity that goes into designing something like this. For crying out loud, who puts a plug where its virtually inaccessable. Under, over, and behind something else... Yuck! All while laying on your back stuck between the seat and the dash.

Anyways... got my Fan Speeds back: Off, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 all work fine.

Now... all I have is Defrost. frown Floor, Panel, Floor/Panel, Panel/Defrost don't work. Its just Defrost all the time. What I'm not sure about was if this just happened or if it had been this way for a little while. I always have the controls on Defrost but I thought I recall switching the controls to Floor a couple weeks ago and still having a lot of air blowing out the Defrost. Didn't think much of it until now but I think it quit working a little while ago.

Is this the same type of deal as the Blower Motor Resistor, something I can just unplug and plug back in again? Is it a fuse? Any ideas? 1999 GMC Sierra Ext Cab 4x4 by the way. wink

The guys behind the scenes are telling me its a probable loose vacuum line that I more than likely bumped or knocked loose while replacing the resistor. Fun! Fun!

See if I can find something under the dash tomorrow when I get some better lighting.

Shoulda bought a Toyota smile

(sorry, had to say it)

JD Powell and associates do not think so! Sierra is rated #1

The "motors" that control where the air is coming from are vacum driven. You will have to contort yourself back in there and see if you can find a loose vacum hose in there somewhere.

ANY vehicle you work on these days is desinged for ease of assembly not for the poor joe that has to work on the things after they leave the factory. Take care and N Joy the hunt././Jimbo

"Makes a guy wonder why GM is frickin' sinking like a ship when you look at the ingenuity that goes into designing something like this. For crying out loud, who puts a plug where its virtually inaccessable. Under, over, and behind something else... Yuck! All while laying on your back stuck between the seat and the dash."

I just replaced mine in my 01 and thought the VERY same thing!!

Originally Posted By: Ralph Wiggum
Shoulda bought a Toyota smile

(sorry, had to say it)

JD Powell and associates do not think so! Sierra is rated #1

The "motors" that control where the air is coming from are vacum driven. You will have to contort yourself back in there and see if you can find a loose vacum hose in there somewhere.

ANY vehicle you work on these days is desinged for ease of assembly not for the poor joe that has to work on the things after they leave the factory. Take care and N Joy the hunt././Jimbo

JD Power does not rank on how many TSB's and recalls there are on the trucks. All full size half tons from Ford, Toyota, Nissan, and Dodge had only 7-15 tsbs and recalls. How many does GM have, around 80? confused

I just replaced mine in my 01 and thought the VERY same thing!!

Glad to know I'm not alone on that one. I hit a point where tools were going to start flying across the garage but all I could seriously do was laugh at how that part was engineered. I would have seriously failed an ME class in college if I designed something like that.

Hanson, thats only a ten minute job once you do 3 or 70 of them! grin I can't believe you waited this long to get it done. Sounds like these guys have you pointed in the right direction as far as checking for a vacuum leak.

Didn't they start switching these over to electric mode and blend doors around this year. I seem to remember old style and new style for some reason?

The guys that engineer these things do what there supposed to do, its the cost engineers that screw everything up!