• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best Battery??

NAMASafetyDirector

Question

What are some of the best deep cycle marine batteries out there on the market today. I am going to add another one for more capacity to the SnoBear and I want this one to be the "last one" for a while. More concerned about the quality than cost at this point. Thanks..NAMA

19 answers to this question

This will sound counterintuitive, but the best batteries I have owned are Fleet Farm Dual Purpose Group 31 batteries. I was hesitant to go with the dual purpose, however based upon a recommendation, I gave them a try. (I figured if they didn't work, I'd return them under warranty). I did a few marathons with the trolling motor and they never went below 50%. They have outperformed other big name deep cycles I've had in the past and only cost $75. A few guys I fish with are also believers. I know the argument is that deep cycles will outperform the dual purposes, but just giving my two cents based upon my experience.

Optima's are great if you like to replace batteries often due to failure. If you want a great battery buy an Odyssey. A PC1500 would be a the group34 option (same size as Optima's). The PC1750, PC2150, and PC2250 are larger and would work great for trolling motors depending on how much room you have.

I run 4 Interstae batteries on my boat and I have had very good luck with them.

Biggest thing to me is customer service and the dealer here in Superior has always been very good about backing the products they sell.

I was in a tourney and had a battery run down. Thought it was the battery. Turned out to be the on board charger I had. Anyways they checked the battery and said it just needed charging. They gave me a new battery and sold the other as a used reconditioned. I was in and out in 15 minutes. No charge!

Back in the boat and fishing in 1/2 hour.

My stator went on my engine last opener. They had 2 new batteries to me at the landing in 45 minutes.

My problems have never been the battery always other factors but they made sure I could stay on the water. Now thats service!

I started using Trojans 4 yrs. ago, and that is all I will use now. Still using the same starting and deep cycle's that I bought then. Hold a charge great, and last all day w/the trolling motor running most of the day.

I had a non deep cycle Optima for 11 years in three different vehicles, I sold it with the last one. This was before they were bought out.They have a high upfront cost, but they seem to be worth it in the long run.