Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mainbutter

Ice fishing newbie.. "tip-up"?

13 posts in this topic

Anyone want to explain to me a tip-up and how they work?

From what I can gather watching youtube videos, it's just a free-spinning spool of fishing line(usually pretty heavy lb test) attached to a plank and put over a hole in the ice, that after the flag is "set", will trip the flag when line is pulled?

To "reel in" a fish, do you just pull the line in with your hands? How in the world does this work with some of the big pike I've seen caught using tip-ups? I can only imagine it must be a pretty fun tug-of-war. Is there anything more to it than that?

I'd love some advice on how to best fish with tip-ups laugh My dad is probably going to get me one for x-mas.

you prettymuch nailed it on the head...

the heavy line on the main spool is usually a braid of some sort and then you tie a 3-7 ft piece of mono on and tie either a plain hook or a jig to the end of that.

when the flag goes up on the tip-up give it a few seconds to make sure the fish really has the bait....slowly start taking up line until you feel pressure and then give a good tug to sink the hook into the fish. while fighting the fish, make sure you let the fish run if he wants to run only take up line when the fish allows you to...its a lot of fun even though i dont do it much

good luck

MrFish pretty much nailed it. I tip up fish all the time. I love it. The key to landing the big fish is letting the line go when the fish wants to run.

We fish mostly with larger chubs so we let the fish run with the line for quite some time. After the line has stopped running off for a bit (this can take several minutes), get a good hook set and let go when the fish start running. Repeat the process. It can take a long time to land some of the bigger fish and you wonder if you are actually making any progress.

Hope this helps, I enjoy tip up fishing at night just as much as fishing during the day with regular rods.

One thing I like to do when catching a fish on a tip up is get on your knees to fight the fish I think it helps keep better tension on the fish. loose line mean loose fish

and don't bother reeling in with the rig on those things - I've hooked some monster slimers and that reel is just to reel it in to pack up.

Just haul the line in and toss it over your shoulder to bring it in. Pulling in a monster on a tip-up is pretty much the funnest thing you can do ice fishing (aside from drinking vast quantities of cheap canadian whiskey and loading up your buddies line with depth finders when he's out taking a whiz).

I would reccommend wearing at least one glove. The line burn can be very painful if the fish runs on you while you are holding onto the line. I always like to keep a little bit of pressure when they run instead of letting the line drop to the ice.

CA

Nothing beats looking up and seeing your flag straight up! I love tip up fishing, and try to get atleast one out every trip. What lb test and what line do you guys tip with? I use 20 lb cajun line.

My buddies and I used to race over to any flag that was up - didn't matter who's flag. That was usually after a few beers, so it wasn't too coordinated. Someone would eventually get there, sliding in like the tip-up was home plate and grabbing at the line!

I got my first pike off one last weekend and it is fun. I don't use them much, but will fish with them more. How do you guys keep the line from tangling when pulling them in? I got done and had one heck of a mess.

Personally, I use tip-up line, with about 4 feet of mono below that. And it's sold as tip-up line...black stuff almost as big around as weed wacker cord. I love it, and it doesn't get stiff, in my experiences with it.

sometimes the tangled mess is just part of using a tip up. you can have a buddy tend the line and make sure it doesnt or when pulling in the line, walk a circle around the hole as you go, that will help.

I can't believe I forgot to mention it a few minutes ago, but I've never had problems with tip-up line tangling, and I usually just pile it up on the ice when I pull up a fish.

There's nothing like pulling a fighter in with your bare hands! It's the stuff I dream about at night when the temps start to dip in the fall, and I am addicted once the lake freezes over. Seeing a flag in the air gets my heart POUNDING!

I am on my way up to the lake tonight, and I couldn't be more excited! Enjoy your tip-up fishing, and post pictures!