• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snowmobile choice

Iambjm

I'll say that if a person doesn't want to spend $5k plus for a 4 stroke, there have been some very nice '02 -'03 Arctic Cat Panteras out there. Should be able to find a fairly low mile 600cc unit for about $3k if a person has time to look, maybe even less. EFI, Reverse, Electric Start, Remote Start, 2up seat, 136" track, Heated Grips for both driver and rider, pull start if the battery goes dead and a much lighter sled.

If you feel the need for more power, they offered them in a 800cc engine too grin

Mike

I sure love that T660 grin

Have you taken it through any of the deep stuff on the lakes yet? Is it a two speed? I haven't had a chance to get to the dealers and look at any yet, but my friend thinks I really need a long track utility model, but I can't see spending $8200 for one. He is afraid a shorter track may bog down and get me stuck.

Quote:
Is it a two speed?

If you mean High and Low gear, no I do not think it does. It has reverse and forward. I am still learning this thing, so if you get down wind of where the 2 speed is at, let me know grin

Have not had it on the lake as of yet, but have had it in some hairy situations (swamp ditches), that I just kept on the throttle and gunned her on out. It does have a 1 1/4" lugs on the track, so that is a plus and is has a 136" track, which is plenty good for MN snow on the trails.

I love the sled even more, every time I take it out. Makes me wonder why I did not upgrade my ZR a couple years ago grin

in most cases in mn 121 with a 1 1/4" track is good to go and no need for the big motors either just more weight add with them. i run a 2003 600 xc sp 121 with a 1 1/4" track. i do alot of lake riding no problems. im not affaired of the deep snow in fact i prefer the short track around here corners better then the long tracks and less weight. just remember the lighter the better.

I took my T660 out on the lakes today, and it handled the drifts just fine. Of course they were hard packed just it wasn't that much of a work out. This sled will not handle deep powder, nor will any other touring sled, unless it has been modded. with the 136" long track you should be able to handle most snow situations you will encounter out on the ice. The only thing you won't likely be doing on the lake with this sled is water skipping wink

I don't have a lot to add that hasn't already been said. Definitely agree with the reverse, and electric start is nice as well. If you are getting one machine, 2-up, you will get a longer track automatically, so traction should not be an issue. If you go with a one-up machine, the 1.25" lugs are nice. I have the same setup as Dan Z, except in an '02; 600 XC with 121" track. Never had any trouble pulling my 3 man Frabill, fully loaded. I think most of the sleds out there are pretty decent quality-wise, so I won't get into a Chevy vs. Ford sort of argument (even though Polaris is CLEARLY the best wink ). There are a lot of good deals on solid used snomo's out there. I have been browsing that one site and lots of folks are trying to unload excess possessions in need of the cash.

Check out a variety, and see if certain specific features are going to benefit you, and have fun!!

After giving our budget a twice over we have decided to wait till next season. We just spent a bundle on a winch, plow, and chains for the ATV. I am glad we did, I am getting tired of having to use the snowblower and this is just so much nicer. I also discovered the atv trailer is too small for a sled so we would have had to buy that too.